Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
12th Man
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to fall back to the basics amongst all of you hard-core die-hards. I don't need a litany of reasons how it is possible for the Seawolves to succeed in this year's AE tourney. I just need one. Or is the reason intangible like: "Just because" or "It's their time"? Give me some hope.

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
They play good defense. They have the best player in the league in a decade. They have a lot of experience. Peter Hooley stopped shooting. Maine, UMass Lowell, UMBC, and sometimes Binghamton can't play defense. Vermont isn't as good as they have been in the past. UNH has suspect defense too and Jacoby Armstrong can't defend against Warney.

·
Premium Member
33,162 Posts
Now or Never

The sense of urgency by everyone just needs to be there.

*not literally never, but will absolutely need to replenish the cupboard. Best chance to make Dance for foreseeable future.

Reactions: SaltySeawolf

·
Gr8t Dane
712 Posts
They will Dance this year!
Yahoo doesn't seem to think so...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/forde-minutes--who-needs-course-correction-before-march-madness-051918263-ncaab.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory&soc_trk=tw

That said, if Albany doesn't pull off another AE title, I'll be happy to root for SBU to get their act together and not only dance, but get SUNY's first round of 64 win. Highlighting one of the conferences best players and getting a win can only help the entire conferences recruiting efforts.

Most UA students think of SBU as Albany's biggest rival. While from a SUNY perspective that is true, from an America East perspective I still root against Vermont and their fans much, much, MUCH more :)

·
12th Man
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seawolf (whatever that is) Nation does not want any favors. Go to the tourney, be who you are, and win the damn thing like you are supposed to. You almost have me convinced.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I am not overly optimistic given the way the last couple of weeks played out, and history certainly isn't on our side. I just hope that they've had meaningful practices of late, and that getting stung at Albany and getting kicked in the teeth on Senior Night, has really pissed this team off to the point that it fuels them with unbelievable motivation. I hope they've been practicing FT's all week (lots of them), and I hope that they have a designated coach on the sidelines yelling "NO!" at the top of his lungs, any time Walker gives a hint of hucking up a 3. If this is all in place, we've got a shot.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yahoo doesn't seem to think so...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/forde-minutes--who-needs-course-correction-before-march-madness-051918263-ncaab.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory&soc_trk=tw

That said, if Albany doesn't pull off another AE title, I'll be happy to root for SBU to get their act together and not only dance, but get SUNY's first round of 64 win. Highlighting one of the conferences best players and getting a win can only help the entire conferences recruiting efforts.

Most UA students think of SBU as Albany's biggest rival. While from a SUNY perspective that is true, from an America East perspective I still root against Vermont and their fans much, much, MUCH more :)
Enough of this good for the conference BS. A recruit is not going decide on Albany because they see another America East team win a round of 64 game. If anything the schools in this conference are competing for the same friggin recruits. I'm all for rooting on other teams winning their OOC games during the season because it helps MY TEAM RPI wise. Other than that, I want to see see every opposing team lose by 30 in the tournament if MY TEAM did not make it.

Tell me UMBC, how did the UVM rd 64 and PIG win help your basketball program? Did Albany's PIG win two years ago help UNH? NO. This is not Power Five football where there are big paydays for conferences. This is the America East.

The only help and exposure this conference will get is if a team makes a deep deep run, like an ELITE 8 or FINAL FOUR and that is not happening.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Enough of this good for the conference BS. A recruit is not going decide on Albany because they see another America East team win a round of 64 game. If anything the schools in this conference are competing for the same friggin recruits. I'm all for rooting on other teams winning their OOC games during the season because it helps MY TEAM RPI wise. Other than that, I want to see see every opposing team lose by 30 in the tournament if MY TEAM did not make it.

Tell me UMBC, how did the UVM rd 64 and PIG win help your basketball program? Did Albany's PIG win two years ago help UNH? NO. This is not Power Five football where there are big paydays for conferences. This is the America East.

The only help and exposure this conference will get is if a team makes a deep deep run, like an ELITE 8 or FINAL FOUR and that is not happening.
Really, you root against AE teams once they make the NCAAs? I don't, I even root for Albany when they are in.

And of course it helps the other teams if a team wins an NCAA game. 1) It helps league reputation and 2) The league gets more money (hint: more money is good).

·
Gr8t Dane
712 Posts

I didn't mean the win - I meant the showcase that gets put on Warney, and any help that it might give him in being drafted by an NBA team. More games in the tournament gives the AE more TV time showcasing the talent that got the team to the round of 32 or the sweet 16 if it happened.

There are all kinds of 'fringe' BCS level players (3 and low 4 star recruits) that might plan on going to a major conference fully knowing that they can get their scholarship, practice hard, ride the pine their freshman year, get a few minutes their sophomore year, then get real playing time junior and senior years if they don't get recruited over. Those kids think that they can't go to an America East team because very few players got the exposure they might want here. Seeing a player like Warney make the tournament, get scouted by NBA teams, and possibly get drafted shows it can happen in the America East in TODAYS game (I am aware that there are some NBA players from the past, but none recently that I am aware of - the last one was what in 2006?).

Those fringe type players I am speaking of might decide to be a big fish in a little pond instead of a little fish in a big pond. I know if I was on the recruiting trail I would be pointing that out. I would be using it to show that it can be done - even if I was a last place team in the AE - it is still something that can help recruiting for ALL AE teams.

Also - don't forget the extra money that the conference gets for more games played. This is more budget for the conference to improve.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
For many of the players who have been on SBU the past 2-3 seasons they have been through such tremendous heartbreak losing games in the tourney the way that they did. Those losses plant a seed of doubt in their minds when it comes to conference tourney time. That doubt breeds pressure and too much pressure breeds tight play, bad shots, missed foul shots, bad decision, overplaying and underperforming. I think this is Pikiel's greatest challenge is to dig out that seed, get rid of the doubt and make them believe they cannot be stopped this year. They will not allow what happened the past 4 years to happen to them again and they WILL WIN THE NEXT THREE GAMES!

If he can do that I think they will not only win the championship but I think will win a game in the NCAAs.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Really, you root against AE teams once they make the NCAAs? I don't, I even root for Albany when they are in.

And of course it helps the other teams if a team wins an NCAA game. 1) It helps league reputation and 2) The league gets more money (hint: more money is good).
As a fan of all sports, I sure as hell am not going to root for the Red Sox in the playoffs as a Yankee fan and that is how I follow my teams. I'm not saying you can't root for an America East team, but how can you root for a rival.

How did Dunk City's sweet 16 run help the A-Sun. Two teams bailed and the conference almost folded this year, that's how much it did. The money earned from tournament wins is so convoluted no one knows where the money is going exactly.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/sports/ncaa-money/

·
Registered
621 Posts
I am not overly optimistic given the way the last couple of weeks played out, and history certainly isn't on our side. I just hope that they've had meaningful practices of late, and that getting stung at Albany and getting kicked in the teeth on Senior Night, has really pissed this team off to the point that it fuels them with unbelievable motivation. I hope they've been practicing FT's all week (lots of them), and I hope that they have a designated coach on the sidelines yelling "NO!" at the top of his lungs, any time Walker gives a hint of hucking up a 3. If this is all in place, we've got a shot.
Hallelujah!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
As a fan of all sports, I sure as hell am not going to root for the Red Sox in the playoffs as a Yankee fan and that is how I follow my teams. I'm not saying you can't root for an America East team, but how can you root for a rival.

How did Dunk City's sweet 16 run help the A-Sun. Two teams bailed and the conference almost folded this year, that's how much it did. The money earned from tournament wins is so convoluted no one knows where the money is going exactly.

When Vermont and then Albany 3 times in a row have made the tournament, I may not have been thrilled that they were going. Once the NCAA games started however, I was as into it as any Stony Brook game I watch. I was riveted to the screen and could not help but pulling for Vermont and Albany. I know all those kids. I know all of them by number and face. I am as familiar with Peter Hooley and Greg Stire as I am Jameel Warney and Carson Puriefoy. You have to be pulling for them.

As a Yankee fan I feel the same way about the Red Sox. I hate and despise them and hope they lose every game. With my AE fandom there is a grudging respect (and even just plain old outright respect). You know the kids representing the AE are true student athletes who are busting their butts in the class room as well as on the basketball court. In the NCAA tournament they are usually playing against teams where academics are about 14th on the priority list.

·
Gr8t Dane
712 Posts

Regardless of the questions of where the money goes - our league still gets funds for each appearance in a tournament game. More appearances equals more money. As a Yankee fan, I have no allegiance to the American League East and if an AL East team wins the WS it means nothing to me. College hoops is very different from Pro Sports. As was mentioned - I know the AE players and have enjoyed watching them. It is hard not to root for an underdog too.

Back to the original point though - if Albany wins the AE tournament and wins a game in the tournament, it probably helps UA's recruiting (or hurts it because Brown leaves for more $$) but it would do very very little for recruiting of the rest of the league. I don't see any Albany guys getting the type of coverage that Warney will get in the tournament. SBU dancing and winning a game WILL help the AE recruiting in the manor I mentioned before.

It would pain me to root for SBU if Albany doesn't send them to their rightful home (the NIT) but I would still do it. Not sure whatever money the league gets would be enough for me to root for Vermont though. :)

·
Gr8t Dane
712 Posts
Good Lord, there's a lot of Catamount and Red Sox hate out there.

Underneath our exteriors, we are all the same. Embrace the love. ;-)
The downside of being so successful for so long and having so many active fans on this board. I'm sure the recent success UA has had has bred some hatred, but it would be significantly more if there were more active fans posting here instead of BPF.

Take it as a compliment.

·
Gr8t Dane
712 Posts
If Vermont = Red Sox and Albany = Yankees then I guess that makes SBU the cubs?

If so, that bodes well for SBU this year. Back to the original point of the first post:

SBU will finally dance this year (as the Cubs will end their futility) if one of their fans brings a goat to the championship game :)

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
If Vermont = Red Sox and Albany = Yankees then I guess that makes SBU the cubs?

If so, that bodes well for SBU this year. Back to the original point of the first post:

SBU will finally dance this year (as the Cubs will end their futility) if one of their fans brings a goat to the championship game :)
That's great news! Our goat will already be on the court wearing #20 .

1 - 20 of 28 Posts