Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

101 - 120 of 148 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Makale Foreman has been
No one should give a shit about transfers until proven otherwise... Look at Albany or even Giddens and demuth...

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Speaking of transfers that are making an impact, Makale Foreman has been exactly what SBU has been missing. 15ppg and 38% from 3- has to be easily the best transfer in this conference so far.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,725 Posts
There are going to need to be some tough decisions made going into next year. The team needs the scholarship that Nash is currently occupying. Whether they get a waiver (seemingly unlikely) or he has to pay his own way. They can't afford to be carrying an empty scholarship for multiple years and maintain the competitive level of the team.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,725 Posts
Makale Foreman has been

Speaking of transfers that are making an impact, Makale Foreman has been exactly what SBU has been missing. 15ppg and 38% from 3- has to be easily the best transfer in this conference so far.
You haven't watched enough of Malik Ellison yet if you think that. Foreman is a close second no doubt, but when his shot isn't falling he disappears for long stretches.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Davis looks like he has zero confidence, like he knows he’s going to fail before he even touches the ball. I contrasted him with Patella a while back and it was there again tonight. Patella made two mistakes in a row, shook them off right away and came down and made a 3. Davis thinking too much and not just going out and playing.

·
Premium Member
33,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
You haven't watched enough of Malik Ellison yet if you think that. Foreman is a close second no doubt, but when his shot isn't falling he disappears for long stretches.
Hartford transfers don’t qualify b/c they transferred to a team that lost what like 90% of its roster from the prior year?

·
Realist/A-hole
5,725 Posts
Hartford transfers don’t qualify b/c they transferred to a team that lost what like 90% of its roster from the prior year?
That's why I said watch him play, rather than list off a bunch of stats.

·
Premium Member
33,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
That's why I said watch him play, rather than list off a bunch of stats.
My point is that Foreman is doing this for a team that won 24 games last season and finished second in the conference, and on same trajectory this year. He’s doing it on a much better team.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
The addition of Foreman and Gueye for us has been immeasurable this year, to the point that it has made the loss of Yeboah an after thought. I thought we did a great job of doubling Lamb all night and that was a major key. Although Smith and Shungu are probably 1st and 2nd teamers respectively, UVM really misses Ernie in the inside/outside game.

If we stay healthy, if we don't lose Garcia to grad transfer, and with addition of Policelli next year, we will be a major force the next 2 years, IMO. Ford has the players buy-in on both sides of the ball - specifically, he has given them a lot more freedom on offense particularly with shooting the 3's. Foreman is a streaky sharp-shooter, but Olaniyi has really upped his shooting game this year.

Big win for us, of course, but long way to go.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Wow. A lot to unpack here, and I'm not sure after 100+ posts I can really get to it all. Honestly, I didn't even want to look at the box score until this morning, much less scroll through this entire thread after getting home from the game last night.

First, Stony Brook played great. What gives me a little bit of solace is: while Olaniyi and Foreman are both good shooters, and while our defense was not nearly as tight as it needed to be, they were raining some BOMBS at points. Like, 5 feet behind the arc kinda stuff. I don't care how good a shooter you are, contested 3's from 27-28 feet out are not high-percentage shots. But when you're dialed in, you're dialed in. Sometimes guys are just hot. I'd be stunned if they're that good again.

That, and they got the 11 most productive minutes from The Ghost of Anthony Ochefu. That's kind of it in a nutshell: Stony Brook got the most (and more) out of all its guys last night. That's what you need to win big, important games. Meanwhile, Vermont got high-end efforts from two guys, and below-average output from...well, more than two guys. I think Stony Brook is definitely more athletic than UVM, and they may be a little deeper...but I don't really think they're that deep, per se. Miles Latimer didn't beat us last night.

About our guys...I too am bummed about Ryan Davis' recent funk. However, I think there are some problems that are bigger than him. He had a rough stretch where he fumbled like 2 or 3 passes in the post in a row. Bad, but: who do we have who is a) taller than 6-3, b) and not named Anthony Lamb who was going to catch some of those passes? Giddens wasn't going to catch those. Demuth wasn't going to catch those. We have all quarterbacks, no receivers. And this is not a new conversation. We've had it before with other bigs in the past. I feel like the drive/pass ability of our guards has always out-kicked the receiving/finishing ability of most of our bigs. And that causes turnovers.

I don't want to re-litigate Powell's redshirting. I agree that it was a curious move that, at least for basketball reasons, didn't seem to make sense. But I'll also say that we should be careful in moments like this to not fall into the same trap we fall in with redshirts, and transfers, and freshmen. That is, "The best players are the ones who can't play." Yeah, he looked improved in the exhibitions. So did Ryan Davis. So did others. It's easy to imagine what contributions he would be making to this team, because it's easy to forget all of the times last year he looked straight-up not ready to play. We don't get to cherry-pick the good things he'd be doing, and unrealistically magnify them.

Not game-related, but one quick housekeeping note: As discussed on another thread, fairly certain we have 2 scholarships remaining for next year, not one. Nash's scholarship, as a result of his medical retirement, should not be counting toward our team limit.

15 games to go. That's a looooooong time. No sense in getting too worked up about one result. We lost to UMBC twice last year. Speaking of UMBC, let's beat them on Saturday.

·
U of AZ 72
56 Posts
Honestly....Stony Brook is the more talented team from top to bottom.
Exactly what I thought . They are so much more athletic. I've watched them play twice . They should win the AE from what I've seen . The only way UVM lived up to all the hype is if Giddens and Demuth had lived up to the hype and that doesn't seem likely. Can you imagine playing SBU next year! Hope I'm wrong and UVM comes around. It's early but UVM is not the powerhouse that people were predicting . Too many holes.

·
U of AZ 72
56 Posts
This is why I keep repeating ad nauseum that we need another big with the last scholarship. Powell has his virtues, but interior defense isn't one of them.
I don't see how we they can not go for another big. We have a huge deficit there.They have swung and missed several times recently on recruiting bigs. Hope that changes.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Just a point or two. SBU shot about 8% points higher than their season average. You know who else shot 8 points higher last night? Vermont. When SBU gets into trouble its when they turn it over a ton. 13 wasn't bad for them last night. OK, maybe 3 points - Vermont was a Lamb made ft from forcing OT and then a Lamb missed layup from again forcing OT, the margin was razor thin. Vermont had won 7 in a row against SBU - that meant the last time SBU won was Jameel's Championship game heroics. That streak wasn't going to last forever. The only thing last nights win for SBU means to the AE is that you don't need to be undefeated to win home court all the way through.

·
Registered
14,156 Posts
Exactly what I thought . They are so much more athletic. I've watched them play twice . They should win the AE from what I've seen . The only way UVM lived up to all the hype is if Giddens and Demuth had lived up to the hype and that doesn't seem likely. Can you imagine playing SBU next year! Hope I'm wrong and UVM comes around. It's early but UVM is not the powerhouse that people were predicting . Too many holes.
You guys are getting crazy...while I think in my mind the margin has narrowed..I'm not ready to predict SBU is the best team in the AE. Not yet!

·
Premium Member
33,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
You guys are getting crazy...while I think in my mind the margin has narrowed..I'm not ready to predict SBU is the best team in the AE. Not yet!
This.

While Stony Brook played great and deserved the W, it doesn't change the fact that this was a game UVM just gave away with a questionable drive by Shungu- when he should have been more patient- followed by literally 3 unforced turnovers.

·
Registered
549 Posts
First of all it's extremely easy and simplistic to continue to chalk up all of UVM's struggles to the loss of Ernie. That constant talking point is becoming a bit of a broken record. The problems are clearly much deeper to that.

Last night was incredibly concerning but not surprising given how UVM fared during non-conference play. UVM totally lacked grit and toughness.

The box score is a bit deceiving, especially when it comes to rebounding and turnovers. The TO margin, 15-13 in SB's favor, doesn't tell the story. From what I saw UVM's TO's were quite egregious; feeding Lamb in the post when he's already double- or triple-teamed (only to have an SB defender poke it away), Ev's travel, etc. Stony Brook had pesky, active hands on defense exerting good ball pressure. UVM needs to play faster and be more decisive in these scenarios. What seems to happen in these close games--which is why they can't ever seem to close out--is they get in this mentality "get the ball to Lamb at all costs" with the flawed assumption that they'll run down the shot clock for twenty seconds, then Lamb will somehow be open. An absolutely atrocious offensive game plan.

Same can be said about rebounding. Stony Brook was crashing the glass on both ends while UVM didn't start to crash the glass with intensity until desperation took over with 40 seconds left. When UVM was down two late and the players remained calm and complacent. Total lack of urgency.

I'm not trying to downplay the loss of Ernie. Just trying emphasize

The type of player we're missing right now is a Cam Ward. I personally didn't enjoy watching Cam because he was not a particularly pretty player and he lacked athleticism. But he was scrappy and FEARLESS which allowed him to be a momentum changer in these tight games.

What I see from the current roster outside Stef and Lamb is an unwillingness to lead. Too much emphasis on accountability--which leads to soft and timid play--and not enough emphasis on responsibility. Bailey has his days, but his confidence is only their when the momentum and energy is already in UVM's favor. There are plenty of players on the roster that have the ability to become that "third scoring option", but they need to step up, crash the glass and get themselves open looks. Why so few open looks from the supporting cast when Lamb was doubled (or tripled)?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
UVM is 2-6 against teams that currently have winning records (Bonaventure and St. John's - who might not have winning records for much longer). UVM might not see a team with another winning record until the rematch in February which by then I hope UVM is a much better team and has worked out its woes. The first 16 games aren't a pathway to get the league's auto bid.

Not writing this team off by any stretch but, as Wanye from Letterkenny would say: figure it out because I feel like the hockey coach on the show coming in kicking a garbage can and yelling "embarrassing" more than I should this year. Serenity Now.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I'd also like to step back on my soap box and say how I just absolutely hate when bench players or worse coaches yell "boxout" or bark something out when players are at the line right while they're in shooting motion. Gamesmanship, any D1 player should block out the noise, yeah yeah I know. Stony Brook's 4'11" strength coach or whatever looked like a clown all night doing that crap. It's one thing for people in the stands to do it. That's expected...but coaches and players it comes across as petty and dumb. I sit on the other side of the team benches but I'm happy for the most part I don't think UVM does that while the player is taking the shot at the line. I could be wrong.

Now if you'll excuse me, going to get my AARP discount for lunch now.

·
Gr8t Dane
709 Posts
UVM might not see a team with another winning record until the rematch in February which by then I hope UVM is a much better team and has worked out its woes. The first 16 games aren't a pathway to get the league's auto bid.
Albany should be 13-9 or 12-10 when you play at SEFCU in a few weeks. Not saying UA is any threat to UVM getting the #1 or #2 seed, but watching how UA is starting to come together, how the teams match up, and how UVM seems to be regressing, this should be a good game at SEFCU with what should be a sold out crowd being the Big Purple Growl game.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think Patella should be in more than Davis. Although he didn’t have a great game last night, he has the athleticism that Davis lacks. He can run with Shungu, Smith and Deloney and compete above the rim.

101 - 120 of 148 Posts