Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

141 - 148 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
13,926 Posts
My feelings aren't the issue. My interest is decent treatment for young men and women who come to our town to study and play a game we all love. I don't have a problem with fans grumbling over beers after a game. That's the place to be "emotional" if that is your personal need. Make some friends and gripe with them. You can say things you might not say to a player face to face. You can all go home and forget about it until the next game.

Public message boards take more responsibility than a face to face conversation. You are making anonymous comments about people who can't respond. How we exercise that opportunity is up to us.

And no, abuse from community members is not the price of a scholarship.
It's not abuse... And they don't have to read. That fact is completely lost on you.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
754 Posts
Coach Becker explains his decision on Powell.

Pretty weak explanation. The reality is he overrated the transfers. This is Lamb’s last year, they should have been all in to go as far as possible. To redshirt a guy so he is availabe three years out, when btw he may already have graduated and could do a Giddens and play somewhere else, is a really bad decision.

·
Registered
13,926 Posts
Pretty weak explanation. The reality is he overrated the transfers. This is Lamb’s last year, they should have been all in to go as far as possible. To redshirt a guy so he is availabe three years out, when btw he may already have graduated and could do a Giddens and play somewhere else, is a really bad decision.
He just overplayed his hand...

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Correct, and there was probably more to that story than purely basketball reasons at the time. Earmuffs warning for the sensitives who don't like us talking about in any way that's not positive: Becker not only overplayed his hand here and got greedy thinking he could get away with it but an attempt to humble a player who doesn't always stick to the game plan by saying you'd be fine this year without him, also backfired. Becker knew it after Rider or Yale I'm positive. Just was too stubborn to make the move.

I'll say it again and forever. Redshirting healthy bodies at this level borders on insanity and for a school like UVM is a luxury they think they have but don't. Fact is outside some medical reasons or literal all DNPs because you actually have depth but dress the guy (Everett and that was an exception) it doesn't work. Becker has burned 3 redshirts in the last 3 years because he thought he could get away with depth. It's just not a reality most years. I really hope he learns from that finally and I really hope Powell is okay.

Edit: will also add that redshirting anyone with a modicum of talent which Powell has just leaves you opened up to the player burning you and bailing their senior year for an upgrade in conferences via grad transfer. So another reason why doing it at all at this level is a bad idea in general.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tough loss but we're spoiled with the quality of the program. Yes, I know, we should have won this one for a host of reasons, blah blah blah. This team needs to show up and play every game. Simple as that.

·
Premium Member
32,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
I’ve been raising the question on Powell red shirt since the jump. Literally never made any sense. I fully understand red shirting a kid like Beckett, Kpedi, sophomore year Everett, but red shirting Powell as a sophomore is one of the more baffling decisions I’ve ever seen made by UVM or anywhere. Rivaled only by the decision to not red shirt Demuth, I guess.

I probably think Powell is more talented than most of my Catamount brethren, but here’s a kid that averaged 17.5mpg as a frosh, meaningful minutes. Not only was he entering the season as a candidate to start, but at minimum IMO was going to be our 6th man/best player off bench and prob play 20-25mpg. Oh, and he’s 6’6” and can rebound and one of the more athletic players on our roster.

Completely mystifying why a non-injury related red shirt would ever be considered, let alone acted on. Happy Powell is active.

141 - 148 of 148 Posts