Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I think it's great that all the new coaches seem interested in racheting up the level
of play in the AE.
Pikiell, Herrion and Lonergan all seem determined to make an impact.

Don't know how long they will stay at their respective leagues, but the attitude should make for good competition.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Stony Brook is going to have a very rough time this year (they lost a lot), but they definitley won't be the only team struggling.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Stony Brook will play a big- time schedule that includes Connecticut, Villanova, Boston College and George Washington.

"It may not be a lot of wins for us," Popoko said, "but when you play teams like that, suddenly [America East foes] Boston University, Albany and Binghamton don't look so tough. We might get pounded, might not, but if you get the crap beat out of you, get tougher."
Having watched Bing struggle for much of the season last year, after getting the crap beat out of it during its OOC schedule, my immediate reaction to this comment is that he's a bit naive.

That said, the more coaches in the league we have that believe they can elevate their respective programs, the better. Given SBU's close proximity to NYC recruits, its strong academic reputation, and the fact that there are probably a million plus potential fans within 30 minutes of campus, there's no reason why SBU can't be successful.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
The info seems a bit dated, as stony brook has officially gotten the 7-2 player hinted at in the article. Also, I didn't know that JonPaul Kobyrn had more eligability? What happened with that guy? 3 years ago he led the AE in fieldgoal percentage, and was a major contributer. then he completally fell off the planet.

·
Registered
186 Posts
ginzo said:
The info seems a bit dated, as stony brook has officially gotten the 7-2 player hinted at in the article. Also, I didn't know that JonPaul Kobyrn had more eligability? What happened with that guy? 3 years ago he led the AE in fieldgoal percentage, and was a major contributer. then he completally fell off the planet.
Ginzo,

Kobryn got a decent chance to perform from Macarchuk. He received some quality minutes and was erratic at best. He failed to build his upper-body, genuinely disliked to play down-low and inside with the big boys, and showed little mental and physical toughness on a consistent basis.

Concentrating on his studies would be best for both Kobryn and the Stony Brook Basketball Program in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Put In Rickard said:
Ginzo,

Kobryn got a decent chance to perform from Macarchuk. He received some quality minutes and was erratic at best. He failed to build his upper-body, genuinely disliked to play down-low and inside with the big boys, and showed little mental and physical toughness on a consistent basis.

Concentrating on his studies would be best for both Kobryn and the Stony Brook Basketball Program in my opinion.
Did he have some medical problems too?

·
Registered
186 Posts
ginzo said:
Did he have some medical problems too?
"Medical problems" is a bit strong.

During last season he was diagnosed with mononucleosis and I'm sure it sapped a lot of his energy. But the problems afflicting Kobryn's on-court presence (or lack thereof) had little to do with virus and were much more about his lack of toughness.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Thanks for the clarification... have you heard much on the 7'2" guy, I forget his name, that Stony Brook got signed?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Will said:
Stony Brook is going to have a very rough time this year (they lost a lot), but they definitley won't be the only team struggling.
Can I ask a dumb question. Save for Cori Spencer, who did we lose? McCollum never showed up and...and the other seniors we lost were not starters. All starters save for Spencer and ocasionally McCollum are back. That includes Beauford, Hardy, and Pops.

·
Premium Member
33,344 Posts
Wow, Stony Brook has a serious OOC schedule. If Duke is 1A this year, Villanova is 1B.

Villanova has the best overall backcourt in the country.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
When we played against him in HS, we called him "Little Stevie" - and he'd still torch us. ;)

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
TheBrook said:
Can I ask a dumb question. Save for Cori Spencer, who did we lose? McCollum never showed up and...and the other seniors we lost were not starters. All starters save for Spencer and ocasionally McCollum are back. That includes Beauford, Hardy, and Pops.
Losing Spencer was HUGE! I don't think anyone in the history of stony brook basketball, and very few people in the AE in recent history have been able to get up and bring it up a notch for big games the way spencer did. He really was the reason Stony Brook beat BU in the 04' tourney (biggest upset in AE tourney history). And almost did the same last year versus northeastern. While he didnt lead the team in scoring, I think he had the biggest impact game in and game out of anyone on the team, and he certainly WAS the team in big games.

Also, the rumor is that Beauford is academically ineligable...

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
ginzo said:
He really was the reason Stony Brook beat BU in the 04' tourney (biggest upset in AE tourney history).
JMHO, but the UNH (#8) upset of #1 Siena in 1988 was a much bigger upset than SBU beating BU in '04. UNH won three games during the season by a total of 4-5 points and had been demolished by Siena twice during the season. Siena had won something like 23 or 24 games and was viewed as a clear favorite for the NCAA tournament. The 04 version of the AE was more competitive top to bottom than the 1998 version.

And to hopefully eliminate the homer factor, let me say that UNH that year didn't have anyone remotely close to Cori Spencer or D.J. Munir. They were undersized (5'9" PG, 6'4" PF, etc.), not very athletic and not loaded with outstanding shooters. This was definitely not an underachieving squad, they probably were lucky to even win those three games. They did though have good character kids playing and put a new definition to overachieving in that NAC Tournament at the Hartford Civic Center -- they were playing to save Coach Gerry Friel's job.

I still recall Siena Coach Mike Deane's face after the game. It was part shock and part how do I explain this when I return to Albany. And to be honest, despite seeing the game in person, I still don't really understand how UNH won this game. I watched SBU beat BU in '04 and it was quite clear why they won that game -- for a change their talent came together and executed for 40 minutes.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Put In Rickard said:
Losing Spencer was HUGE! I don't think anyone in the history of stony brook basketball......

D.J. Munir and Leon Brisport say hello.
I didn't say best player ever for stony brook. I said when everything was on the line, he got up the most. Thats just my opinion from the past 4 AE tourneys, Munir didn't come close...

·
Registered
970 Posts
UNH Alum, remember that game well, also. I believe we were sitting across the aisle from each other. One of my most vivid memories of the game was the incredulous look on G's face as he approached us Black Bears fans as the finals seconds ticked down.

I also remember Munir hitting the game-winning shot, kind of a tough runner from the left hand side of the lane. Somebody for BU had just tied the game and Munir answered. BU had time to get off another shot, as I recall, but a Stony defender knocked the ball away just over halfcourt.

I do recall Spencer had a nice game. Munir was equally huge for Stony and I'm pretty sure he played many more minutes as Spencer, with leg woes, never was able to go for long spurts.

Figured I'd go look it up. Here are Spencer and Munir's lines from BU upset:

Spencer: 6-10 FG, 15 points, 3 rebounds, 28 minutes.
Munir: 6-11 FG, 2-5 3PTG, 14 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 36 minutes.

Nice clutch games from both.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts