1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Retired From The Beat
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Wow, they figured that out pretty quick..

Honestly, I applaud people who are cops, but it must be a tough job to go to each day. They find people doing illegal things every day, but stuff gets thrown out on "technicality"..

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
NateBishop3 said:
Well, ESPN sucks right now and I can't open the link, but here's the link they provide.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2014558

Here's the Oregon live link...

http://www.oregonlive.com/newsflash...news-9/1110995157194570.xml&storylist=orlocal
not to advocate the use of mary jane but here's the cream on the strawberry short cake:
Stoudamire and teammate Rasheed Wallace were passengers in a vehicle stopped for speeding in November 2002 on Interstate 5 just north of Chehalis. A search of the vehicle turned up a small amount of marijuana, police said.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I think in a lot of countries when this happens they don't throw out the evidence... they prosecute as normal... and discipline the police who didn't follow the rules. Sorta seems like the right way to do it doesn't it?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Paxil said:
I think in a lot of countries when this happens they don't throw out the evidence... they prosecute as normal... and discipline the police who didn't follow the rules. Sorta seems like the right way to do it doesn't it?
These aren't just "rules" like policies the police are supposed to follow, they are laws, that everyone is bound to. It's not a technicality, it's the fact that the police violated fundamental rights everyone is entitled to. I find it hard to justify a search in an atic crawlspace when they were investigating a possible breakin.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Paxil said:
In MOST countries, they dont get prosecuted for having marijuana.....But for such a large amount as Stoudamire had, I think they have every right to prosecute him.....

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Only 40 more days for Damon to stain the image of the Trailblazers!!!

It is almost done.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
RedHot&Rolling said:
Only 40 more days for Damon to stain the image of the Trailblazers!!!

It is almost done.
That last incident happened nearly 3 years ago........Damon has been a good boy lately.....He shouldnt be out of Portland because of his image, he should be out of Portland because of his productivity(or lack thereof).....

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
TheBlueDoggy, if the police violated someone's rights... then they should be charged for that I guess. Just seems pretty silly to me to keep letting people off for stuff like that.

Also... it is understandable that someone with a huge bag a pot would feel their rights were violated in a case like that... but I would be more than happy if an alarm goes off at my house and the door is open... to have the place searched before I came home. I'd make em a cup of coffee and thank them too.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Scout226 said:
Wow, they figured that out pretty quick..

Honestly, I applaud people who are cops, but it must be a tough job to go to each day. They find people doing illegal things every day, but stuff gets thrown out on "technicality"..
That "technicality" of which you speak is called THE CONSTIUTION OF THE UNITED STATES.

Honestly, don't you get it? If the police can search anyone at anytime for any reason, this country would be no different than Iraq under Saddam.

·
Grumpy Pragmatist
3,410 Posts
Paxil said:
TheBlueDoggy, if the police violated someone's rights... then they should be charged for that I guess. Just seems pretty silly to me to keep letting people off for stuff like that.

Also... it is understandable that someone with a huge bag a pot would feel their rights were violated in a case like that... but I would be more than happy if an alarm goes off at my house and the door is open... to have the place searched before I came home. I'd make em a cup of coffee and thank them too.
The obvious problem is that the cops went WAY beyond searching the house for an intruder. Crawling around in the attic opening shoe boxes? As much as I dislike the runt, I find that pretty offensive!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Stevenson said:
That "technicality" of which you speak is called THE CONSTIUTION OF THE UNITED STATES.

Honestly, don't you get it? If the police can search anyone at anytime for any reason, this country would be no different than Iraq under Saddam.
Really? Thanks for pointing that out, but I already know that. We're to leanient when it comes to prosecuting criminals. Also, I'm talking about this case specifically. No one was home.. The door was open... And the home security alarm had gone off... They didn't just search the house for no reason.

·
Registered
822 Posts
white360 said:
Don't care if it was an illegal search.

Its thoughts like this that gives our rights a nice healthy shove out the door.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Look, when searches are conducted ILLEGALLY, evidence is thrown out. If those in charge don't follow procedure when performing a search, what is there to say about the legitimacy of what they find? I would say that is greatly lessens the "evidence" procured by the police.

How can you say:
"Well, they violated an individual's rights as well as their own code of conduct for their JOB, but we can use the results (which, again where obtained illegally) as a basis for prosecuting an individual"?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts