Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rick Bucker (or one of the ESPN talking heads) has basically said that the league is looking into cracking down on what he terms as "subliminal intimidation of the officials" either down the stretch or in the playoffs against the Pistons. Even going as far as to suggest that this particular undertaking is not good news for the Pistons HCA chances.

A declaration this particular talking head took great pleasure in voicing...

Am I alone, or does that not sound like a conscious administrative effort to sabotage a team and its chances?

What will the mandate be I wonder (?)...

NBA: If a member of the Detroit Pistons so much as look at you wrong evoking a feeling of fear or intimidation feel free to eject. Do not take into consideration scale or magnitude of game and or incident... this is message sending time.

----------

Detroit reactionary outline.

1. Commentator/ studio analyst (Pippen): It is difficult to defend against the Pistons team athleticism under the new rules.

result... Instant increase in off ball physicality allowed there on after.

2. Skiles: The Pistons intimidate the refs and they never seem to foul.

result... Increase in both personal and technical foul calls against the Pistons. Three player ejections in subsequent games.

3. ESPN talking heads complain about Pistons complaints.

- NBA: If a member of the Detroit Pistons so much as look at you wrong evoking a feeling of fear or intimidation feel free to eject. Do not take into consideration scale or magnitude of game and or incident... this is message sending time.

result… Time will tell.

This trend is interesting to me because it shows (something I have known for a long time) that the league is not only influenced by the media but that it does in fact instruct its officials on what to do in response to particular teams and or players and not just behaviors and or situations in general.

Is this not...

If this type of administrative game official influencing, “message sending” is possible then what else can be done?

I wonder…

Pay “special attention” to such and such doing this and such and such doing that.

It seems obvious to me that games are being influenced not just by the way in which individual officials view games but the way in which the higher ups update and hint to officials what to look for.

Commentators complain, league listens; officials receive special instruction on what to “look for”… instant results.

Should the media really have this much sway on contests?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.