Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, not that this is "breaking news", but the NY Post article uses this phrase to describe Portland's mentality in regards to a potential Wallace deal:

Strict specifications.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, will be twofold:

1) Identify what you think these specifications are.
and
2) Identify what teams have what it takes to make that kind of offer.

Let's just say that I feel that if we're going to talk about potential trades for Wallace, they should fit the specifications that the organization has set - not necessarily the specifications that you or I have. So, this is, in my mind, a step towards talking about a Wallace deal in realistic terms.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
SCBF,

It is my understanding that the terms laid out by management for any trade are the following:

1.) that the player improve the team in terms of "character" to address the community's concerns about player transgressions,

2.) that the player's salary help the team lower costs and establish better "flexibility" with regard to making trades and acquiring free agents in the future,

3.) that the player be talented enough to maintain the Blazers as a "competitive" team.

In the context of the Wallace trade, that means taking on a player who doesn't have a criminal record or a history of insubordination with officials or coaches, who doesn't have an inflated salary or an interminable contract, and who doesn't suck. Preferably it would yield a frontcourt player, since the Blazers would be sorely lacking there (as demonstrated by the current struggles without Wallace on the floor).

As for who meets those criteria... that's a lot tougher. I like Shawn Marion as a player who generally behaves, is paid about what he's worth, and while Marion is perhaps not as versatile a player as Rasheed, he has tons of talent and might fit well as a SF. I don't see the Suns taking a chance on Wallace, though.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Ding ding ding

We have a winner.... :rock:

I think you nailed it PD... well written

·
Registered
678 Posts
realistically, the blazers are also trying to "rebuild", so younger talent and draft picks are also what they are looking for. realistically, you have to look at players that are actually on the trading block, and realistically, our outside shooting is poor. chicago is unhappy with the ways things are going there and are need of a proven star, and jason terry wants out of ATL, so deals involving crawford or terry seem possible. also, dallas needs defense, and they have an expendable forward in jamsion.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I would love to see Marion come to Portland. He has good size as a SF and Portland needs a SF. He really is a very good all-around player who has all-star capabilities. Plus, he doesn't have any baggage as far as I know.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
I think that if all the criteria are met then obviosly some of the goals will need to be compromised at some level. IMO as tehy proved with the Bonzi trade, the remaining competitive goal will be the one to be compromised most.

What that means IMO is that we are likely to be taking on lesser talent for now, but perhaps gaining youth either in a young player or a draft pick.

You want to look at the contract status look at players who expire after next season.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts