Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Excentrifugal Forz
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twice spurned in their attempts to sign a high-profile free agent this summer, the Portland Trail Blazers are jumping back into the fray, opening discussions with the agent for Philadelphia 76ers free-agent point guard Andre Miller, according to sources. A deal is not imminent, but there has been progress made toward resolving Miller's status, according to a source with knowledge of the discussions.

Acquired from Denver in December 2006 as part of the Allen Iverson trade, Miller has been outstanding in Philadelphia, providing veteran leadership and a still-formidable game. He's been the coach on the floor for the 76ers, who've made the playoffs in consecutive seasons despite numerous injuries (high-profile signee Elton Brand was out most of last season with a shoulder injury that eventually required surgery), a slew of young players like Thaddeus Young and Lou Williams (both of whom have been given major minutes) and a coaching change, with Tony DiLeo replacing Mo Cheeks. (The 76ers have since hired former Kings and Wizards head coach Eddie Jordan to take over for DiLeo.)

Miller averaged 16.3 points and 6.5 assists last season for Philadelphia. He is also one of the league's ironmen, missing just five games in 11 NBA seasons. But while other veterans this offseason have been the subject of strong competition from other contending clubs, Miller has not had much play.
Would be a good signing as long as the contract isn't to long considering his age.

LINK

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
I don't understand their pursuit of him as he's a guy who takes up space, and will take the ball out of Roy's hands. I hope he goes to Portland as the result of a sign and trade. That would be great for the Sixers.

·
Excentrifugal Forz
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know most feel we have to have a 3 point shooter as a PG with Roy, but as long as he can hit a mid range jumper I think it'll be enough. We need another distributor other than Roy. Wear and tear is going to get to Roy if he always initiates our offense. Of course come the 4th quarter we know who'll have the ball.

Also I think Miller will be a great mentor for Bayless and give us that vet presence we've been needing. The more I think about it the more I like it. Of course most likely it won't happen.

·
Administrator
115,885 Posts
If this is true and I'm Philly, I'm pulling this deal yesterday. If not, regardless, I'd start and end with Bayless in any deal.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-millerblazers072109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
LAS VEGAS – Free-agent point guard Andre Miller(notes) has visited with officials from the Portland Trail Blazers and New York Knicks in recent days in Las Vegas, a source close to Miller said on Monday.

Miller flew from Denver to meet with Portland coach Nate McMillan on Saturday, then met with New York coach Mike D’Antoni. He later flew to New York to talk with Knicks president Donnie Walsh.

Miller has yet to receive an offer from either the Blazers or the Knicks, and one source close to him cautioned that a deal “isn’t imminent.”

Miller, 33, averaged 16.3 points and 6.5 assists last season for the Philadelphia 76ers. He has missed only five games in 11 seasons. The Sixers haven’t expressed interest in giving him a long-term contract.

The Blazers, who unsuccessfully tried to sign forwards Hedo Turkoglu(notes) and Paul Millsap(notes), could use a veteran to help steady their young roster. They also have dangled backup point guard Jerryd Bayless(notes) in trade talks, a rival league executive said.

·
Excentrifugal Forz
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From what I've read the Blazers have nixed deals because the other team wanted Bayless. If we do get Miller one of the reasons would for him to mentor Bayless so I doubt he'd be involved in the trade. I doubt we'll get Miller anyway so it doesn't much matter. I wouldn't be oppose to us standing pat. We should improve just playing another year together. Plus as the trade deadline gets closer there might be some nice deals out there for a team under the cap as much as the Blazers are. If not no biggie.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts