Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
OK. Yep. Ball will be a superstar. I've seen enough. Yes, it's only one game. But he has "it", just like how Ingram had "it" even though he was struggling.

·
Getting Buckets
712 Posts
What a performance by Zo. 36 pts, 10 ast, 8 reb, 5 stl on 66% TS.

Summer League, but still. Great game. He obviously won't score quite like this regularly, but he has to be aggressive like this. Will really open up his passing, which is already elite. Those outlet passes, man. Nance and Randle better be hitting the cardio right now.

·
Snapping Necks and Cashing Checks
12,585 Posts
Big time win!! Lonzo is the damn truth!! 36 points, 11 assists, 8 rebounds, 5 steals, 2 blocks for Lonzo!! Zubac finally got it going today! Kuzma looking like a steal!! Another impressive game for Kuz!!

·
Getting Buckets
712 Posts
Ok, I'm sold on Kuzma. I don't expect him to shoot quite this well all year, but we can obviously see the potential is there. And he looks like he has a great feel moving, cutting and especially passing. Most of all, he can really move his feet on defense. Picking him always felt like a hedge on Randle possibly leaving next summer. But Julius and Larry better be working on those jumpers or Kuz will be taking minutes from them early.

Like everyone, I try not to put much stock into summer league play, but Zubac may be playing himself off the team with this showing as a sophomore. He has looked awful. Bryant might seriously challenge him for his spot in training camp.

·
Snapping Necks and Cashing Checks
12,585 Posts
Zubac has looked a little better the last two games. I think he's still getting acclimated to the faster pace we're playing. First few games felt like he was a step slow on everything. Really like what I'm seeing from Bryant though. Kuzma is playing like he might be the steal of the draft. Wouldn't be surprised if they sat both Ball and Kuzma next game to let some of the other players on the roster get some run to show what they can do for scouts. Seen enough from Zo and Kuz!

·
Administrator
67,767 Posts
My outlook on the Lakers' immediate future is actually improving. They will almost surely be better than Phoenix and Sacramento next season with the possibility of being better than Dallas and New Orleans. The 11-spot should be their goal. I think it's achievable if this team gels.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
When DLO couldn't shoot, he was worthless on the court. When Lonzo can't shoot, he still makes a huge impact.

·
Getting Buckets
712 Posts
When DLO couldn't shoot, he was worthless on the court. When Lonzo can't shoot, he still makes a huge impact.
I've mostly gotten over the DLo trade since we picked up KCP, but this Lonzo vs DLo stuff is senseless. Whether it's from Magic, Luke or fans, the fact is we didn't have to pick between them. We could've had both. And it could've been great. We'll never know.

Lonzo being awesome doesn't take away from DLo. DLo can still and probably will be really good.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Lonzo looked gassed to me in the 2nd half of the game last night. It was the first time I have seen him make make bad decisions with the ball. His shot looked awful too. He is going to have to get into better shape if he is going to hang with the guards in the west and the NBA schedule.

His understanding of the game is unreal though. He's not a great on ball defender, but he is great off ball. He got at least 2 steals I can think of last night where he just sagged off his man, making him look open so he could pick off the pass when it actually came. He really manipulates the game. Just really smart, deliberate basketball.

Kuzma is a keeper. He can shoot, run, catch and finish which is going to work really well on this team. He makes good passes too.

Zubac has been really disappointing. He is slow which is no surprise. But what happened to his hands and touch? He cost Zo at least 2 assts on totally blown finishes around the rim. His post moves look weak and clunky. At least he rebounded last night. His mid range and defense have been alright.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I've mostly gotten over the DLo trade since we picked up KCP, but this Lonzo vs DLo stuff is senseless. Whether it's from Magic, Luke or fans, the fact is we didn't have to pick between them. We could've had both. And it could've been great. We'll never know.

Lonzo being awesome doesn't take away from DLo. DLo can still and probably will be really good.
yep plus DLo would have been a pretty near perfect offensive side car to Zo

however getting that Mozgov contract off the books + Lopez + Kuzma isn't that awful

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
DLO will put up 20ppg on sub 40% shooting next year and everyone will be glad he's gone.

·
Getting Buckets
712 Posts
DLO will put up 20ppg on sub 40% shooting next year and everyone will be glad he's gone.
DLo could literally make multiple all-star teams and you still wouldn't change your opinion. Just let it go, man. He's not on the team anymore. We don't need to frame Lonzo's triumphs or failures through DLo comparisons.

DLo reaching stardom in Brooklyn proves you wrong but doesn't mean shit to the team we both root for. Him bottoming out proves you right, but again, same result. So, who the hell cares?

Just enjoy Lonzo.

·
Getting Buckets
712 Posts
Kuzma is straight up coming for a rotation spot. If he can keep shooting like this (he's essentially been hot since the last part of the college season), we have to find him minutes.

Still can't quite find an NBA comparison for him. Legit 6'9", long arms, fluid and smooth athlete, above average defender, passer, ball handler and (hopefully) shooter. Major weaknesses right now finishing inside and decision making (shot selection), but man, we might seriously have another steal on our hands. He's defended some high level prospects (Tatum, Brown) and has gone at NBA quality defenders (RHJ) and more than held his own.

Kudos again to our scouting department.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
training camp invite to Vander Blue please

21 - 40 of 70 Posts