Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
yeah, don't want to over-think summer league success but Kuzma dominated - not going to announce him our next 'big game james' but definitely see a potential rotation player on a good team right there - he really showed out this week

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
I think Zumba (Zubac) is adjusting to his new body. Magic said he didnt want anybody in training camp to be over 7-8% bodyfat.....that is REALLY low for an basketball athlete who needs to recover quickly. Bodybuilder start to look shredded at that percentage. It looks like Zubac busted his ass to get to that bodyfat. He looks skinny as fuck out there and he isnt used to it. He is going to get gassed way quicker.

Im hoping they take bodyfat on a case by case basis and figure out what is best for specifically him before training camp. It's clear he is following the Lakers instructions 100%.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I think Zumba (Zubac) is adjusting to his new body. Magic said he didnt want anybody in training camp to be over 7-8% bodyfat.....that is REALLY low for an basketball athlete who needs to recover quickly. Bodybuilder start to look shredded at that percentage. It looks like Zubac busted his ass to get to that bodyfat. He looks skinny as fuck out there and he isnt used to it. He is going to get gassed way quicker.

Im hoping they take bodyfat on a case by case basis and figure out what is best for specifically him before training camp. It's clear he is following the Lakers instructions 100%.
1) wasn't snoop talking about Kuzma maybe?
2) 8% body fat is stupid for athletes you are 100% correct
3) Zublock-a has been slow and his hands are gone, wtf?

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2017/05/23/utah-utes-forward-kyle-kuzma-rising-up-draft-boards/102078154/

That was from 2 months ago. Idk man, he seems so confident. Shot looks pure, nothing I would really change. Range is deep. His release is even fairly quick, especially for a big man.

And again, aside from shooting, he stood out the most of defense, IMO, guarding multiple positions.

Lonzo was a known commodity, but we may very well have found another gem.
I'm totally not getting excited about summer league D. You're playing rookies and guys trying to get a job, coached by assistants with little practice for sets. Offense is a bit different. Shots are shots and moves are moves.

·
Registered
10,017 Posts
1) wasn't snoop talking about Kuzma maybe?
2) 8% body fat is stupid for athletes you are 100% correct
3) Zublock-a has been slow and his hands are gone, wtf?
1. Yeah I think so Zubac+Kuzma=Zumba...they were high, saw Zubac on TV and went with it. Obviously Kuzma was the real one ballin' between the two
2) Yes, which I honestly believe leads to you #3
3)I think the change in his non basketball training could be part of the problem. I heard from somewhere he was doing a lot more weight training to get muscle/lose weight this off-season. That is great in moderation for a bball player but if he goes too hard down that route without maintaining his functional strength and MOBILITY it could be a problem on the court. Weight training without knowing how to keep muscles "balanced" (overtrain some while undertraining others) can cause flexibility issues. He also inevitably lost some muscle while losing that weight. At best he maintained his muscle with constant workouts.

All of the above can be seriously messing with his game.

Obviously the Lakers training staff know all this(and way more) and Im sure will address it in the coming weeks. His body is in a weird in between stage of rebuilding.

·
Getting Buckets
712 Posts
I'm totally not getting excited about summer league D. You're playing rookies and guys trying to get a job, coached by assistants with little practice for sets. Offense is a bit different. Shots are shots and moves are moves.
Strictly from a versatility stand point. Has the size and competitiveness to bang (see last night) and the foot speed to at least competently step out on guards.

Tools are tools, just like shots are shots, IMO. We'll see how each of them translate.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
By biggest concern from watching summer league was in how different the personel of the teams are constructed. Summer league team had a bunch of great shooters and rim runners. Our regular season team has the rim runners, but not great shooters.

We are going to need Randle and Ingram to greatly improve their 3 pt shot, and KCP and BroLo to at least not regress at all in order to make it work.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts