Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.suntimes.com/output/bulls/cst-spt-roman27.html

Neither Pippen nor Eddie Robinson (strained left groin) practiced Monday. Tyson Chandler practiced, but he might not be ready for game action until Friday at Golden State.

-------------------

With a week or so of practice, will he be able to hit the floor with energy? Will his back hold up?

Will he provide more scoring?

Will he make Eddy better?

Questions abound...

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
he makes the Bulls marginally better, but it isnt like he alone adds 5 games to win streak. He isnt a star now or anything. I doubt his return matters much

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Originally posted by <b>rlucas4257</b>!
he makes the Bulls marginally better, but it isnt like he alone adds 5 games to win streak. He isnt a star now or anything. I doubt his return matters much
Rlucas, I generally respect your basketball knowledge but I think you are dead wrong in this instance. Chandler makes the Bulls a LOT better. He has a way of changing what the opposing offense is trying to do and creates havoc on the defensive end of the floor. He also makes up for a lot of mistakes that Curry and our guards make. I think his return is HUGE. Are you forgetting that Chandler was top 5 in the league in blocks and rebounds before he injured himself?

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ace20004u</b>!

Rlucas, I generally respect your basketball knowledge but I think you are dead wrong in this instance. Chandler makes the Bulls a LOT better. He has a way of changing what the opposing offense is trying to do and creates havoc on the defensive end of the floor. He also makes up for a lot of mistakes that Curry and our guards make. I think his return is HUGE. Are you forgetting that Chandler was top 5 in the league in blocks and rebounds before he injured himself?
that was 10 games. Nothing in the real world of things. When he does it for a season straight, then Ill be sold. Chandler is not an upper tier 4 in the NBA today. He, at most, would have added 2 or 3 wins to our total. His return helps, but not as much as we would say. On the GS boards, the fans said the same thing about Troy Murphy. And it didnt help. And Murphy is as good as Chandler is.

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
i think chandler possibly returning friday is HUGE. hey guys, we finally get to see JC, TC, EC and Kirk play together. i'm excited. bet skiles is excited.

it's all good. or at least it has the "potential" to be good.

;)

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts

that was 10 games. Nothing in the real world of things. When he does it for a season straight, then Ill be sold. Chandler is not an upper tier 4 in the NBA today. He, at most, would have added 2 or 3 wins to our total. His return helps, but not as much as we would say. On the GS boards, the fans said the same thing about Troy Murphy. And it didnt help. And Murphy is as good as Chandler is.

I don't think Troy Murphy has the ability to change the game on the defensive end as Chandler does. They may contribute similar statistically but IMHO Chandler is a game changer. I guess we will have to wait & see who's right on this one huh?

:D

·
Registered
8,211 Posts

I don't think Troy Murphy has the ability to change the game on the defensive end as Chandler does. They may contribute similar statistically but IMHO Chandler is a game changer. I guess we will have to wait & see who's right on this one huh?

:D
Of course buddy. Just a question, how good were we with Chandler in those 10 games?

But time is the only thing that can decide these debates. I think we overrate Chandler but thats just my opinion

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I think his return will be somewhere between "huge" and "no big deal". To start with I doubt he'll be all that effective simply because he's not in playing shape. If he can stay healty and as the season wears on I think his prescence will be greatly needed.

I disagree with ya RLucas that if Chandler had played this whole time that we'd only be two or three wins better. I think his play would have helped to contribute to about 6 or 7 more wins. So much of what he does so well is the exact thing this team is missing when it is routinely blowing 2nd half leads or unable to sustain 2nd half comebacks. We don't stop other teams and if we do happen to make them miss, they invariably get the offensive rebound and have another shot. Chandler would have helped in limiting offensive opportunities for opposing teams while possibly giving the Bulls another possesion or two with his own ability to rebound the ball on the offensive end of the floor.

Chandler is ying to Currys' yang. I watched the Heat last night simply zone Yao out of the game. Front him in the post and have the man on the opposite side of the lane waiting for the entry pass to quickly double down on Yao. The same thing happens to Curry. What Chandler gives us that we simply don't have right now is a second inside prescence that can either be in great position for an offensive rebound from an errant Curry shot or acting as a cutter to fill the space left by the opposing player when they go to double Curry.

In a nutshell, Chandlers prescence can really only help this team as he's a better option than what we have now.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts

Of course buddy. Just a question, how good were we with Chandler in those 10 games?

But time is the only thing that can decide these debates. I think we overrate Chandler but thats just my opinion
Well, I would argue that Chandler played well when he played but the rest of the team got off to a pretty slow start. Now it seems like the team is playing much better and I think Chandler will make more of a difference playing with a team that is playing hard rather than playing with that disinterested lacsidaisical team that started the season. But, time will tell. I expect props if I am right my friend! :)

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts

i tend to believe that Tc is maybe not a major difference maker but a really good player today and with the majority of the bulls losses being close a play or 2 here or there in each game might have made a difference in most of the losses ...but then again maybe not.

your right time will tell but i have a hard time believing he wouldn't have been positive considering his rebounding and defensive abilities...and its not like the bulls give up offense when the alternatives are JYD ,AD and blount

·
Registered
8,211 Posts

Well, I would argue that Chandler played well when he played but the rest of the team got off to a pretty slow start. Now it seems like the team is playing much better and I think Chandler will make more of a difference playing with a team that is playing hard rather than playing with that disinterested lacsidaisical team that started the season. But, time will tell. I expect props if I am right my friend! :)
Ace, I give you props even if your wrong. Your a great poster. But I will argue with this. The team playing much better I have to take exception with. We have lost 6 of the last 7. Chandler wouldnt have mattered there. The kid cant score and shot blocking, while nice, doesnt matter a whole lot because he goes for everything. I have yet to see this kid take a charge in 3 years in the league. I like Chandler, but there are few players in the NBA who mean 5 wins off the top. Chandler certainly is not one of them. He isnt even an upper tier 4. Some might argue that AD is a better player then he is now, though I wouldnt. But it could be argued

Fl-flash. Again, I would give you props as well. We go way back. Mucho respect for you. But I disagree with you as well. 5-7 wins is not going to happen with Chandler. He just isnt a Webber or even a Lamar Odom type of impact player. Defensively stats wise with the blocks over 10 games (which means nothing) is nice, but he goes for everything leaving himself heavily exposed to being beaten by one simple pump fake. Also id like to point out that Chandler and Curry do not complement each other well at all. chandlers best games have come when Curry was playing little or non at all. currys best stretch came late last year when Chandler was battling the esophagus problem. The point is, they arent yin or yang. They are like Orange and Red. Which is a clash. Them complementing each other was a lie fed to Bulls fan by Krause to justify the Brand trade and has been picked up by Pax but to a much lesser degree

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Originally posted by <b>happygrinch</b>!

i tend to believe that Tc is maybe not a major difference maker but a really good player today and with the majority of the bulls losses being close a play or 2 here or there in each game might have made a difference in most of the losses ...but then again maybe not.

your right time will tell but i have a hard time believing he wouldn't have been positive considering his rebounding and defensive abilities...and its not like the bulls give up offense when the alternatives are JYD ,AD and blount
what defense? He goes for everything. Sure he gets a couple of blocks but he cant guard the perimeter for a lick and he gives up as many layups as he gets in blocks, due to a lack of strength or by buying every fake.

Also, rebounding hasnt been our problem during this losing streak. So that wouldnt have helped. We needed a guy who could get a bucket in the 4th quarter. Chandler can not do that. He would have meant very little to us recently

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
rlucas,

I think you missed something :D

Maybe you didn't notice but when he played early in the season he had altered his play. He stopped going for everything and held his ground rather than getting caught up in the air. A sign that he is learning. In any case, as much as I respect you, it's clear we have completely different ideas about what Chandler brings to the party.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
rlucas,

I think you missed something :D

Maybe you didn't notice but when he played early in the season he had altered his play. He stopped going for everything and held his ground rather than getting caught up in the air. A sign that he is learning. In any case, as much as I respect you, it's clear we have completely different ideas about what Chandler brings to the party.

all i know is Cliff Robinson is hoping Chandler plays on Friday night cause he lit Chandler up like a Xmas tree last year the 3 games in which Chandler played. I think he is being overrated by Bulls fans. In the west on this trip, no one is going to be scared by him. He ranks somewhere between 15-22 in starting 4s in the NBA

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
One of the things that I like about Chandlers game is that he gets to the line. Look at the box scores this year in the games that he played. He got to the line consistantly. This is scoring points while the clock isn't running. It's getting the other teams players in possible foul trouble and it's getting them closer to being in the penalty.

I have absolutly no doubt that in the 30 or so games that he missed, had he been on the floor for about 30mins. each game our record would be 5-7 games better. The kid can score. The fact that he can do it without anything really being run for him is testament to his effort. The other thing is is that he doesn't seem to quit. Kirk and to a lesser extent Jamal are the only other players that I see out there that don't really quit. It's the effort that he brings. The attitude. He's one of the few players that i've seen that will get on someones case during a game because they aren't trying.

He makes a difference. Not necessarily a huge one but a difference nonetheless. We'd be talking about dukking it out with the Knicks, Heat and Sixers for that 8th spot rather than drooling about Okafor or Deng or whatever the latest draft-day baby is all the rage this week like we've been for the last five years.

It really doesn't take all that much to go from a pretty bad team to a mediocre one. Chandler would do that for us. (is that a good thing?)

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have no idea what to expect... I'm guessing minor improvement.

As usual, as soon as we get one guy healthy another guy (Gill) gets hurt. That Jaric/Ely for Fizer trade would kick some serious *** right now for us. I'm guessing Pippen gets some run as a "guard" when (if) he plays, but Jaric or someone like him could really help there. If Tyson comes back and is able to play 30mpg (I'd figure a few games might be necessary to get him up to that, our rotation (lol, at least my rotation) would be something like:

1- Hinrich 36, Brunson 12
2- Crawford 26, Pippen 12
3- Dupree 16, JYD 16, ERob 16
4- Tyson 12, Davis 30, JYD 6
5- Curry 30, Tyson 18

Bench: Blount, Fizer
IR: Gill, Jay, Jeffries

The real problem, as usal, is that we've got a lot of undefined options at the 3 (I'd give JYD some burn there, but not big minutes... it's a tossup for the rest between ERob, Dupree, and Pip) and not much in the way of options behind Kirk and Jamal.

Unless Tyson developed shooting touch and PG handles during his rehab, I don't see him changing the basic situation.

·
Is not afraid of shadows!
5,094 Posts
I guess I fall in the middle. I agree with rlucas! that we over rate Chandler. I also feel that we're better with him on the court. Not necessarily 5-7 games better over the last stretch, but better nonetheless.

Given that we have had the lead in the fourth quarter in most of the games since Chandler has gone out, and given that we seem to run out of gas in the fourth quarter, I think having another player who can hold his NBA own for 20 to 30 minutes is a plus to any team. Even without being a superstar, I think Chandler is certainly playing well enough to be considered a decent player on any league franchise.

Even if his 15 minutes (before he fouls out from being out of shape) give AD and JYD that much more rest without us having to see Fizer on the floor, then he helps us win.

I think we will be underwhelmed at first, though. The guy can't be in any kind of game shape right now.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Chandler's play early this season (even counting the games where he was limited by injury) put him in the top-20 in the NBA according to John Hollinger of Sports Illustrated, the best NBA stats guy around.

Yes, that was just a handful of games but Rlucas, I have seen you proclaim other players, in particular foreign players and Emeka Okafor, future stars with far less NBA evidence at your disposal.

Chandler was a better rebounder and shot-blocker this season, but he also was pretty good on the offense end. He does not have the offensive grace of many other players, but with his length and his ability to draw fouls he was an effective focal point of the offense. In fact, given how offensively challenged we are right now, I would not be surprised if a lot of the offense went through him once he gets up to speed. The ability to draw fouls and get to the line is a much underappreciated skill, and Chandler was doing this as well as anyone in the League at the beginning of this season.

Basketball ain't gymnastics, so style points don't matter. Chandler in his own way is an effective offensive player. I think a lot of people miss this, because he doesn't do things on the offensive end in a pretty or graceful way. But the points count the same as everyone else's.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NCBullsFan</b>!
Chandler's play early this season (even counting the games where he was limited by injury) put him in the top-20 in the NBA according to John Hollinger of Sports Illustrated, the best NBA stats guy around.

Yes, that was just a handful of games but Rlucas, I have seen you proclaim other players, in particular foreign players and Emeka Okafor, future stars with far less NBA evidence at your disposal.

Chandler was a better rebounder and shot-blocker this season, but he also was pretty good on the offense end. He does not have the offensive grace of many other players, but with his length and his ability to draw fouls he was an effective focal point of the offense. In fact, given how offensively challenged we are right now, I would not be surprised if a lot of the offense went through him once he gets up to speed. The ability to draw fouls and get to the line is a much underappreciated skill, and Chandler was doing this as well as anyone in the League at the beginning of this season.

Basketball ain't gymnastics, so style points don't matter. Chandler in his own way is an effective offensive player. I think a lot of people miss this, because he doesn't do things on the offensive end in a pretty or graceful way. But the points count the same as everyone else's.
Why the hate?
I can name 15 PFs better then Chandler without even trying. So he put up some nice stats in blowout losses. Who cares? You over rate stats. His game didnt translate to wins. There are only a handful of players in the NBA who can add 5-7 wins in half a season to their club. Sorry, Tyson Chandler is not one of them.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts