Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Piker
9,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Antonio Alfonseca was a pitcher with 6 fingers on each hand. The Yankees wanted to sign him, but they wanted him to have surgery and have one of the fingers removed.

He said "No. If you want to sign me, you have to sign all of me."
I am glad you went back to extra fingers because that topology thing sounds complicated.

Reactions: res

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
res, what have you done???
I'm just trying to keep everyone entertained until your inevitable annual "pitchers and catchers report" thread where you go all George Will-like on our national pastime.

·
Piker
9,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I'm just trying to keep everyone entertained until your inevitable annual "pitchers and catchers report" thread where you go all George Will-like on our national pastime.
Hey res, since you are a numbers guy and our resident Einstein do you have any indication what goes into calculating the NET? I keep trying to figure out the wild swings. As far as I can tell so far it seems like they value 10 point wins and do not really care if it comes at home or on the road.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Hey res, since you are a numbers guy and our resident Einstein do you have any indication what goes into calculating the NET? I keep trying to figure out the wild swings. As far as I can tell so far it seems like they value 10 point wins and do not really care if it comes at home or on the road.
Hardly an Einstein. And, though I studied math, I don't practice it. Your question is better directed to JP. I suspect, though, his answer would be the same as mine. The NCAA keeps the calculation proprietary, so it's hard to say. Here's a link to an article from last year on the factors considered, though you probably have seen it or something similar before:

The five factors behind the NCAA's NET ranking system

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Well, there are only 33 days until pitchers and catchers report to Port St. Lucie ya know.

·
Piker
9,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Doesn't a Triple A team have their spring training in Port St. Lucie? I think they're called the Pets or the Mets or something like that.
I loved living in Lake Worth during spring training. My in-laws followed us there from Boston and they lived in Port St Lucie so I would go see the Mets. My father in law made me go to Ft Myers to see the Red Sox. I think the Nationals are now in West Palm. I kind of miss south Florida. Kind of...

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I loved living in Lake Worth during spring training. My in-laws followed us there from Boston and they lived in Port St Lucie so I would go see the Mets. My father in law made me go to Ft Myers to see the Red Sox. I think the Nationals are now in West Palm. I kind of miss south Florida. Kind of...
I grew up in South Florida.
Ft. Lauderdale early on and back then that is where the Yankees had Spring Training which to me, having been born in NY, was awesome. Then we moved to Miami and the Orioles just did not have the same appeal even though they had good teams back then. Interestingly enough, I went to college in NY and lived in the area for a long time which for me was awesome. Now I live in Baltimore which juste does not have the same appeal. I guess I did not learn from the baseball experiences of my youth.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Hardly an Einstein. And, though I studied math, I don't practice it. Your question is better directed to JP. I suspect, though, his answer would be the same as mine. The NCAA keeps the calculation proprietary, so it's hard to say. Here's a link to an article from last year on the factors considered, though you probably have seen it or something similar before:

The five factors behind the NCAA's NET ranking system
"And, though I studied math, I don't practice it"
??? That doesn't add up...

·
Registered
948 Posts
I grew up in South Florida.
Ft. Lauderdale early on and back then that is where the Yankees had Spring Training which to me, having been born in NY, was awesome. Then we moved to Miami and the Orioles just did not have the same appeal even though they had good teams back then. Interestingly enough, I went to college in NY and lived in the area for a long time which for me was awesome. Now I live in Baltimore which juste does not have the same appeal. I guess I did not learn from the baseball experiences of my youth.
It might help if Baltimore had a professional team ?

41 - 58 of 58 Posts