Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
1,468 Posts
Ugh, I'm done with Rhoades. I'm going full JAF during Grant's first year at Dayton. My concern when he was hired was that he was seen as a lifer and that mediocrity would be accepted. Well, here we are.

· Piker
11,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ugh, I'm done with Rhoades. I'm going full JAF during Grant's first year at Dayton. My concern when he was hired was that he was seen as a lifer and that mediocrity would be accepted. Well, here we are.
You don't sound excited for the Kennesaw State game.

· Registered
1,468 Posts
I'm going and taking my oldest daughter after her basketball practice that afternoon. But I'm a lot less excited about it than I was earlier in the week.

And I'm not giving up on the team or being a fan. I'm just done with Rhoades. IMO, he is not the guy for this program and needs to be shown the door.

· Piker
11,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going and taking my oldest daughter after her basketball practice that afternoon. But I'm a lot less excited about it than I was earlier in the week.

And I'm not giving up on the team or being a fan. I'm just done with Rhoades. IMO, he is not the guy for this program and needs to be shown the door.
I am certainly tired of watching turnovers and a bad offense. Seems like a theme.

Reactions: JonBoy

· Registered
3,274 Posts
That wasn’t me JonBoy. I was being facetious with the “Fire Grant” schtick. I don’t recall the member of The Faithful that started that campaign.

I do, however, agree with your thoughts on coaches being lifers whether it’s Grant, Rhoades, Ford, Mooney and even Schmidt. I’m not suggesting that they should be fired (except for Mooney) but at what point are their teams expected to get at large bids every year?

· Registered
438 Posts
That wasn’t me JonBoy. I was being facetious with the “Fire Grant” schtick. I don’t recall the member of The Faithful that started that campaign.

I do, however, agree with your thoughts on coaches being lifers whether it’s Grant, Rhoades, Ford, Mooney and even Schmidt. I’m not suggesting that they should be fired (except for Mooney) but at what point are their teams expected to get at large bids every year?
How many non P-5 schools get at large bids every year?

· Registered
3,274 Posts
How many non P-5 schools get at large bids every year?
Grant and Ford in particular are paid like P5 coaches, and Rhoades is right there too. Other posters can comment on VCU and SLU’s situations, but UD operates like a Big East program and most P5 programs. Grant should have the expectation to have an at large season every year. So far, he has had one such year in five years. I’m not saying that he should be fired, but JonBoy’s comment regarding “lifers” is spot on.

· Registered
1,468 Posts
VCU made 7 straight NCAA tournaments with only one coming from a conference tournament championship. That was also a year they had an at large resume. I’m not naive and don’t think that type of run would go on forever; but as JAF said, that is the expectation every year. The coach is getting paid with that expectation and the school is dumping in the resources for it.

· Registered
92 Posts

Fair point. In regards to Schmidt and the Bonnies, any real Bona fan would not have those expectations. Instead, our expectations are to be competitive and build up solid teams through player development. The transfer portal throws a curveball at this concept, but it can still work. If things work out for this current group, I’m guessing a tournament berth will be the expectation in a year or so (watch ‘em soon if you haven’t yet).
I’m speaking for a lot of grads when I say that I’m glad Schmidt is a “lifer” (for now lol). Still, I need to remind people constantly that Bonaventure had great times before he arrived… and will be okay if/when he leaves.

· Registered
1,473 Posts
Fair point. In regards to Schmidt and the Bonnies, any real Bona fan would not have those expectations. Instead, our expectations are to be competitive and build up solid teams through player development. The transfer portal throws a curveball at this concept, but it can still work. If things work out for this current group, I’m guessing a tournament berth will be the expectation in a year or so (watch ‘em soon if you haven’t yet).
I’m speaking for a lot of grads when I say that I’m glad Schmidt is a “lifer” (for now lol). Still, I need to remind people constantly that Bonaventure had great times before he arrived… and will be okay if/when he leaves.
I disagree with the above. .The Bonnies as well as just about every non-P5 program are operating rules that are different than those of just a year or so ago. Specifically, NIL and not having to sit out a year when a player transfers. I think the Bonnies and a host of other schools will develop players to the point the big boys can devote their efforts to recruiting people who have already shown they can play and play well at the college level. Schools are going to lose starting players, the players replacing them via the portal are not likely commensurate talent wise.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts