Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
I disagree with the above. .The Bonnies as well as just about every non-P5 program are operating rules that are different than those of just a year or so ago. Specifically, NIL and not having to sit out a year when a player transfers. I think the Bonnies and a host of other schools will develop players to the point the big boys can devote their efforts to recruiting people who have already shown they can play and play well at the college level. Schools are going to lose starting players, the players replacing them via the portal are not likely commensurate talent wise.
This goes all ways though. The number of roster spots available and minutes to play aren't changing. If the big boys are shifting their recruitment efforts to lower level conferences, then this leaves the opportunity to recruit guys they aren't recruiting anymore. Using the Bonnies as an example, Yann Ferrell is a guy they don't sign pre-NIL. His offer list out of HS was lengthier and more gawdy than out of prep. That isn't because he regressed in prep, it's because half the schools who wanted him pre-NIL aren't prioritizing the prep ranks the way they used to.

I think we also often oversimplify the concept of big boys plucking from the lower ranks. For sure, some guys will jump at the chance to go P-6 even at the expense of seeing their minutes cut in half or more. Hasan Ward comes to mind. Others will bolt because there is nothing worth sticking around for at their original school. Jared Bynum comes to mind jumping from Joes to Providence. I have to believe though, that there will still be guys who are smart enough to realize their long term play is best served by continuing to develop their current situation.

Using the Bonnies as an example- suppose Farrell has an all A-10 rookie team year. If that gets him attention, it'll leave him with likely 3 options. Stay part of a team that's keeping its core and working toward something special, of which he is a key part. Transfer to a team expected to be successful, on which he'll play a much lesser role. Transfer to dogshit program and get as much PT while posting a 14-17 record. If he's smart, he'll realize that option 1 and spending another year or two building himself from promising young player, into an A10 star, is only going to pay dividends for his transfer options by the time he's a senior. All the guys the Bonnies lost to NIL was a product of 4 years worth of accomplishments. None of them land in as high of a landing spot as they did if this occurs say, after their sophomore season.

I fully realize the above scenario that I just said I hoped for still ends in them effectively being a farm team for recruits. I hate that. My point though, is that I do think there is a strategy within that new reality to churn out teams that grow and develop over 2-3 year spans from decent into tournament contenders, and then start over.

· Registered
92 Posts
I don’t get this. I don’t read UDPride but expect the Flyers to get at large bids every year.
Some fans are delusional in their thinking. UDpride and the Bonnies Bandwagon have their fair share. The expectation of at large bids every year is nice. It just goes against what has happened for decades. It takes a lot to get bids from our conference.
The Bonnies in 17-18 had some of the best wins in decades… and ended up playing in Dayton. You guys were awesome and did the same one year.
Here’s where I’m at with this-
UD should be in the mix for an at large more frequently than any other A10 team.
The Bonnies have to develop players, get lucky, and build something up every couple of years to have a chance. I accept this reality and am fine with the direction of this current team.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts