Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
622 Posts
Another day, another disappointment. The Ramblers beat a terrible Great Danes team and the Rams of Kingston lose as expected to a mediocre Georgia State team. I guess everyone has about one more OOC game and then we start having the in conference bloodbath.

· Registered
St. Bonaventure
7,585 Posts
This is a 1 bid conference. Whoever wins the A10 is in and that's it. Nothing in conference play matters except get better, stay healthy, and prepare to make a run. It's a winner take all royal rumble.
Unfortunately, yes. I suppose if SLU or UD went 16-2 and lost in the semis or finals, there’d be a CHANCE at two. Otherwise, we’re dancing with Juan.

· Registered
66 Posts
VCU did exactly what Bill describes in 2019, with probably a worse OOC resume than SLU, and an A10 that was every bit as bad as this one.

For SLU it would basically require a split with UD, and allow 1 other mistake. I've got my money on Juan beating out Travy in this scenario. No offense to SLU fans, but nothing about his tenure so far suggests his team will limit themselves to 1 oopsie in 18 games, no matter how weak the competition.

· Piker
11,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
VCU did exactly what Bill describes in 2019, with probably a worse OOC resume than SLU, and an A10 that was every bit as bad as this one.

For SLU it would basically require a split with UD, and allow 1 other mistake. I've got my money on Juan beating out Travy in this scenario. No offense to SLU fans, but nothing about his tenure so far suggests his team will limit themselves to 1 oopsie in 18 games, no matter how weak the competition.
Yeah, in the scenario that Bill describes there are several teams that might be in contention if they went 16-2 in conference. If a team has 4 losses or less at this point it would make for a pretty gaudy record. Something like 25-6. It would just depend on the bubble at that point.

· Piker
11,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, I would need to check but normally the A10 regular season champion gets into the tournament. Only snub that I remember for a regular season champ was Bona when it was a 3 way tie. My memory is relegated to when VCU joined the league.

· Registered
66 Posts
Also, I would need to check but normally the A10 regular season champion gets into the tournament. Only snub that I remember for a regular season champ was Bona when it was a 3 way tie. My memory is relegated to when VCU joined the league.
Looking it up, you'd have to go back to 2007. UMass and Xavier split at 13-3, but GW won the conference tournament, leaving Xavier with the only conference at-large. That's the only other time than 2016, since the A10 did away with 2 divisions. Prior to that, it happened in 2005, which is the last time we danced with Juan. Joes and GW won their respective divisions, with GW receiving the conferences only bid.

· Piker
11,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looking it up, you'd have to go back to 2007. UMass and Xavier split at 13-3, but GW won the conference tournament, leaving Xavier with the only conference at-large. That's the only other time than 2016, since the A10 did away with 2 divisions. Prior to that, it happened in 2005, which is the last time we danced with Juan. Joes and GW won their respective divisions, with GW receiving the conferences only bid.
So the only times a regular season champ has been left out is when the title was shared? I was taking all of this into account thinking about a multi-bid scenario when another team wins the A10 tournament.

· Registered
66 Posts
So far as I can tell. Admittedly I'm only scanning bball reference, and doing some educated guess-math in my head, but it seems that way when you consider how many years two divisions equaled 2 'champs' in the regular season.

We've only seen 4 years since the conference's inception in 82/83 of single bid. The question then ultimately becomes, is winning it outright in the regular season enough? With all the metrics we're staring down the barrel of today, I have a hard time imagining it will be short of a dominant performance.

· Piker
11,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So far as I can tell. Admittedly I'm only scanning bball reference, and doing some educated guess-math in my head, but it seems that way when you consider how many years two divisions equaled 2 'champs' in the regular season.

We've only seen 4 years since the conference's inception in 82/83 of single bid. The question then ultimately becomes, is winning it outright in the regular season enough?
History says that it is. The A10 regular season champion normally gets a bid. If it is a true bloodbath in conference then it will be tough. If one of the 4 loss teams wins the league with only losing about 3 games then I think the regular season champion goes if they lose in the A10 tournament. They might have to at least get to the semis or finals though.

· Registered
66 Posts
I guess another way to phrase it would be does history suggest it because the committee views winning the conference worthy on standalone value, or because the conference has been deep enough that winning the conference necessitated good metrics to go along with a first place finish?

IMO it's been the latter, and this year's conference is weak enough that winning while still having non-tourney worthy metrics is possible. Winning alone will not be enough, like you and BR stated, winning with a certain number of wins that compliments the conference title with a gawdy record and metrics to go with it are required. If this year's winner goes 14-4 and loses in the finals, entering selection Sunday with 9 losses, no way they're getting a bid.

· Registered
3,755 Posts
Our highest ranked NET team right now is #87/SLU. In 2019, VCU was #34. The best thing this conference can hope for is find out Fordham is really awesome and they're the ones to go 16-2 with a couple road losses to "good" A10 teams. I like what FU is doing, but that's highly unlikely (ducks). How much can SLU's NET actually improve if they went 16-2? None of the home games will be above Q3, so you're trusting Ford and Co. to go out and rack up road Ws.

Royal Rumble. Winner take all.

· Registered
622 Posts

No offense taken CB. In this year’s OOC the Billikens swept the Missouri Valley Conference 3 and 0. As long as they also sweep the A-10, 18 and 0, I’m sure the committee will find a place for them at the Big Dance even if they get knocked out their first game of the conference tourney. So let’s hope they go 18 and 0. What do you think those chances are?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts