Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what I say the suns should do, please chip in your thoughts:

We could possibly end up with three picks in the first round this year, so root for the cavs to make the playoffs and stay out of the lottery. So, how I see it, we have 3 main positions to be addressed: PG,SG,C
so on that note heres 's how I'd like to see it go

----------------------------The PG Spot----------------------------------------
I'd like to see the PG spot filled by either Shaun Livingston or Shebastian Telfair, we use either our pick or our pick from the Knicks on this one, depending which one is better. It is very likely though that if we pursue Telfair and not Livingston that our pick from Cleveland (If they stay out of the lotto) would be in good position to pick up on him, but I do believe Livingston is better and we should use one of our high picks on him.

--------------------------The SG Spot------------------------------------------
I'd of course like them to be able to sign Kobe or AI, but really this position should be 3rd to the Center and Point in this draft IMO. If it comes to it though, I'd like to see simply a scorer, but really this draft isn't very SG rich so I'll let you guys decide this one.

---------------------------The C Spot------------------------------------------

We need to use our highest pick on this position, IMO. Okafor and Pavel Podkolzine should be our main focuses. I'd like to see the Knicks start losing and the Cavs start winning so we could end up with like a 3-5 pick for Okafor/Pavel, and a 7-12 pick for Shaun Livingston at PG.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, would this be one heck of a young and coming line-up for the Suns or what?

C- (Okafor or Pavel)/ Voskhul
PF- Amare/ Googs or whoever
SF- Marion/Charbarkabla
SG- (Kobe or AI, yeah I know keep dreaming)/ Joe Johnson
PG- (Livingston/Telfair)/Barbosa

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
They should draft the best player available.

I like the highschool guys although I am not sold on Livingston.

Among the college guys I like Warrick, Okafor, Iguodala, Luke Jackson and Harrison (maybe).
I like none of the current foreign prospects and I think after going international last year we shouldn't again.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
the suns would be fools to use a high pick on a PG right now... FOOLS. No matter what you hear from others getting the rights to milos vujanic was jsut as attractive as the salary cap space they picked up in the deal. Drafting another PG will put milos in the same situation he was in NY; not coming over just to battle for playing time.

As far as picking up okafor with the pick i think that would be questionable as well. Think he has the strength but not the height to play center in the west. With amare there as a similarly sized PF hwo would they work together (havent seen enough of amres game to say for sure)??

As far as picking warrick goes its the worst idea of them all, where would he fit in with amare and marion:confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
You pick the best players available no matter what.

Even if Warrick would play backup he is terrific.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
my team to describe why your theory of choosing the best player available is not practical is the chicago bulls.. always have gtood intentions and always try to choose the best player available but all it has done for them is have them trade away good players to make room for these "best players" and cause team friction over PT

·
Incognasho
4,061 Posts
Originally posted by <b>shyFX325</b>!
my team to describe why your theory of choosing the best player available is not practical is the chicago bulls.. always have gtood intentions and always try to choose the best player available but all it has done for them is have them trade away good players to make room for these "best players" and cause team friction over PT
Among 9 other teams, the Denver Nuggets passed on Paul Pierce because they were banking on Eric Williams recovering from an injury after he was averaging 20ppg for them over about a 20 game stretch in 1998.

Olowokandi, Lafrentz, Tractor Traylor, Jason Williams, and Larry Hughes were all taken ahead of Pierce because those teams drafted for need. It is a pretty well known rule among elite-drafting NBA teams that you get the best player you can.

Avery Johnson was in his mid-thirties and on the decline, and the Spurs could have drafted for need in 1997 and drafted one of two point guards who both looked ready to be stars in the NBA at PG in Chauncey Billups and Antonio Daniels.. they took the best player and I think things worked out for them..

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Also Warrick would give us a starter and great talent if we were to get rid off Marion.

Sign and trade Marion for Kobe, Sign Camby

Camby
Amare
Warrick
JJ
Kobe

·
Registered
562 Posts
they shouldn't try to get kobe next year because joe johnson is playing terrific right now. they should try to move up and make sure they can get pavel!!!

pavel
stoudamire
marion
johnson
barbosa/mujavic

this is a awesome lineup

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
I will eat crow if we draft Pavel , I think he is the worst possible pick. I would have to puke if it happens.

·
Incognasho
4,061 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BigAmare</b>!
I will eat crow if we draft Pavel , I think he is the worst possible pick. I would have to puke if it happens.
Pavel is very mobile, young, and HUGE. I really, really wish we could get Camby, but I also wouldn't be against drafting Pavel if we end up with the 5th-6th pick unless another surefire prospect is there..

If Phoenix scouts him and they think he's a good choice, I'd fully back their opinion given the track record. If he's no good like you say he isn't, they're just not going to draft him.. plain and simple.

Right now, no one knows enough about him to say.. I saw a video of his workout with the Heat and was only mildly impressed, but I think people are looking at the fact that he's not getting minutes for his team overseas too much..

I think it'd be great if Cleveland snuck in as an 8th seed and we could use a mid-first pick on a guy like Araujo who will be ready to come in and contribute right away.. who knows though.

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Pavel is huge -> he will never be able to run with the Suns, look at Ming who is very mobile and not as heavy but already gets exhausted when the Suns run on him

Pavel is injury prone.

Pavel isn't good enough to get minutes on a mediocre european team.

Pavel is said to have an attitude.

Pavel couldn't get a lottery guarantee last season, he has not improved I think.

I would also not mind trading that damn Cavs pick back to the Cavs for say Diop.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
I agree with BigAmare. Pavel is garbage and is only looked at for size and age. He wouldnt be able to start right away even if he is half as good as hes projected to be. Hes only like 18 years old.

I'm not sure what picks the Suns have, but I think within the range of 10-20 they should snatch Raymond Felton if hes available. Hes a smart, athletic, quick as hell point guard who likes pass first and make plays for his teammates over himself. Catch him tomorrow on ESPN in the UNC-Duke game.

As far as the center position, dont bank on Okafor. You'd be lucky to get a pick high enough to draft him, and hes only 6'9 anyways. Thats hardly tall enough to compete at center.

You might have to stick with Voshkuhl for a little while until something presents itself. I'm not sure of any good center prospects in the draft.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Draft a center is our priority.

If we can get a healthy Camby from FA, its a different story.

Dont worry about Kobe right now, Joe Johnson's game will suffer, his potential will be hindered dramatically. Keep the young core and add role players.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Trade Marion. You guys really need to. Your future is with JJ and Amare. Marion last night against my Blazers, took a lot of shots and missed them. Then at the end of the game he takes the 3 and misses it. Honestly I would trade Marion and get good Value for him.

I am not saying that Marion sucks but has been inconsistent this year. Especcially with the Breakout of JJ, Marion IMO is much more expendable.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Sovereignz</b>!
Avery Johnson was in his mid-thirties and on the decline, and the Spurs could have drafted for need in 1997 and drafted one of two point guards who both looked ready to be stars in the NBA at PG in Chauncey Billups and Antonio Daniels.. they took the best player and I think things worked out for them..
you have got to be kidding there... drafting tim duncan is a completely different situation than what we are talking about here. When tim Duncan came out he was unaminously the number 1 pick and probably would have battled AI for the number 1 pick had he decided to come out in 96.

im not saying you dont draft a lebron james if you already have ricky davis at swingman.... im saying that if you have a team like the suns and you are looking at the draft from there possible posistion team needs and what you already have in place has to come into play

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Sovereignz</b>!
Olowokandi, Lafrentz, Tractor Traylor, Jason Williams, and Larry Hughes were all taken ahead of Pierce because those teams drafted for need. It is a pretty well known rule among elite-drafting NBA teams that you get the best player you can.
the best player in the draft doesnt fall all the way to tenth just b/c teams are drafting for need. Believe it or not some players jsut exceed their draft day expectations. If you look back at that draft none of those picks above pierce (short of traylor who everyone know he wouldnt control his weight) is that much of a stretch.

·
Registered
366 Posts
ok new idea!

First of all... NO WAY IN HATTIES should we draft Iguulda!!!! He is Daris Miles with NO SHOT whatsoever!!!! but here is my views

The suns in Reality are going to get the (6-10) pick with their own pick, the (15-18) with the Knicks and Cavs (if they make it), so that leaves us with this....

Josh SMith- Though I don't think he will be around..... If we can get him, Ive heard nothing but Great things about him!! He addresses TWO needs-

ON Nbadraft.net- under his strengths, he is a great shooter, who loves to back other poeple who are smaller down. We can put him at either SF or SG, depending on our lineup. Besides with him in, I can only DREAM about a line up of
Pg- JJ
Sg- Smith
SF-Marion
Pf- Amare
C- Cambe (Lampe)

He will be awesome, and may slip to us!

Secondly- With our mid first, I agree, maybe someone like BYU's Aruoja (23ppg 11 Reb) or another big man like Perivic (who doesn't look half bad!!!!) or even Robert Swift (HSSr.) who is athletic long and can play!!!!

As far as our last pick- if Telifar is there at 15 or 16, or livingston ya.. mine as well, or what I would do is package this pick with Eisley or White as incentive for the bobcats.

This way we end up with some great prospects, and we don't mess JJ's rythem. Though SMith is a reach as long as we keep losing, we should be in the sweepstakes to get him!!!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
First I think Milos Vujanic has to be the starting PG...(if he comes next year)... i've been watching him all year and I'm always more convinced that he is a great player... I'm sure he will have a Ginobili type of impact.. but he shoots a lot better...
Joe J is playing like a monster..he has to be the starting Sg..
Marion is the SF...
Amare the PF
And Okafor the center...(if u can draft him).. I know is a little bit undersized but I believe he can play the Center.. The league is so poor of center...
I hope Pavel won't be taken... from what I've seen on tv(I'm italian and sometimes they give Varese's games) he is only big and tall.. he is not that agile or speed... and has never shown skills...Being big is not enough..
Then there is the cap space... I don't know what to do with it... Taking veterans and good back-ups is essential.. The key players are very young and can only grow...

·
Registered
9,747 Posts
Re: ok new idea!

Originally posted by <b>RyGuY43084</b>!
First of all... NO WAY IN HATTIES should we draft Iguulda!!!! He is Daris Miles with NO SHOT whatsoever!!!! but here is my views
You are an ASU fan, need I say more?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts