1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
I heard someone talking about this somewhere and they said that this trade means more likely that the Suns AREN'T for sale.

This lowers the cost of the team. Colangelo has figured if the team isn't going to be a contender, he's not going to pay for a contender, instead he's going to cut his losses and try again. And you have to think he's going to be off to a good start.

He's done similiar moves in baseball.

Sorry I don't remember who said this. I want to say it was Ric Bucher on ESPN last night, but I'm not certain.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
From what little I hear about Nate McMillan, there's a lot he doesn't understand. Perhaps Futurustxen or someone else familiar with Seattle can clear that up.

I'm not a huge Starbury fan. I think there are reasons he's on his third (or 4th?) team already and it's not just because other teams covet him. He puts up fantastic numbers, but I'm still not sold on Stephon being able to do all of the things it takes to lead a championship caliber team.

I also think this Barbosa kid looks like he could be a very good pg, for a long time. I've also heard very good things from people I respect about the Euro point guard they acquired from the Knicks. In addition they also acquired a young big man and will have lots of salary cap space to play with this summer. This is the type of deal that could end up surprising a lot of people, later on down the road.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
actually if i may, the Colangelos said last year that they are looking to sell a minority stake to an investor with the option of buying the entire team in 2007. What they wanted was someone to bring in, someone they could show the ropes to and when they are comfortable the person knows how to run a solid team for the city of Phoenix, then they would bow out. Jerry Colangelo has some estate issues he wants to take care of. Michael Jordans name has been mentioned with this club. But Jordan has been whispered, and I dont know where I read it (sam smith?), to be leading a group to bring an expansion team to las vegas

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
This was a smart trade for the Suns, because they are really setting themselves up for the future at the expense of Marbury, a very talented player who clearly was not going to take them anywhere in the next few years. They got four good prospects out of the deal (Vujanic, Lampe, two 1st rounders) who all come on the cheap. They also open themselves up for what appears to be a legitimate run at Kobe.

AND, best of all, they suckered the rest of the league because no one factored Leandro Barbosa into the equation. The Suns realized they had a major talent who made Marbury very expendable. I kept an eye on Barbosa during the preseason and he put up some very good games. And now look what's happened since he finally got the gig (instead of being strictly relegated to the 9 mins a game Marbury wasn't in) -- he dropped 27 on the Bulls and I think 18 the other night. Plus, he's only 21 and still getting acclimated to the NBA. He may very well turn out to be the top PG in this year's rookie crop, which is an impressive one.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ChiBullsFan</b>!
This was a smart trade for the Suns, because they are really setting themselves up for the future at the expense of Marbury, a very talented player who clearly was not going to take them anywhere in the next few years. They got four good prospects out of the deal (Vujanic, Lampe, two 1st rounders) who all come on the cheap. They also open themselves up for what appears to be a legitimate run at Kobe.

AND, best of all, they suckered the rest of the league because no one factored Leandro Barbosa into the equation. The Suns realized they had a major talent who made Marbury very expendable. I kept an eye on Barbosa during the preseason and he put up some very good games. And now look what's happened since he finally got the gig (instead of being strictly relegated to the 9 mins a game Marbury wasn't in) -- he dropped 27 on the Bulls and I think 18 the other night. Plus, he's only 21 and still getting acclimated to the NBA. He may very well turn out to be the top PG in this year's rookie crop, which is an impressive one.
Perfecto Chibbles

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Great points in this thread. After our game against the Suns, I truly started to think the Suns might have won the better end of this trade.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.