Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the Suns win with their style of play and lack of depth and interior toughness...during the NBA playoffs against the likes of the Mavs, Spurs, Rockets, and Nuggets in 7 game series?

No they cannot. They have had a great regular season but they neglected to get some interior help at the trade deadline. Instead of Walter McCarty from Boston why not Mark Blount and some muscle?

Steven Hunter's choke job on that put back slam proves the Suns dont have all it takes to get it done...throughout the playoffs.

The Sonics if they get healthy in time have a better shot then the Suns because they have some beef down low in Reggie Evans and Danny Fortson and Jerome James as well as a young Nick Collison.

Had Rashard Lewis and Radmonovic been healthy they could have trouble with the Sonics...much less those other 4...

Suns better find some toughness. They are too soft to win the West with what they have...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You can win on the road and with this style in the regular season, but the playoffs are a whole other animal! Throw this out in two weeks...I dont want to hear or see what they have done in the 'regular season'...

In two weeks that will be irrelevant. You played for qualification into the playoffs and perhaps home court advantage...but winning on the road in the playoffs is not a given...

We will see...wont we?

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
The Suns style of play doesn't require the need for alot of interior toughness. And just because all of the sudden it's the playoffs why do you think the Suns will lose? They've beat every team in the league and have the best record. Just wait to playoff time, I think you will be proven wrong.

Steven Hunter's choke job on that put back slam proves the Suns dont have all it takes to get it done...throughout the playoffs.
:laugh: I don't think so....

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
How does one play prove we don't have what it takes to go far through the playoffs? Did you even watch that game? Tolbert and Musberger even said, we get a rap for being "soft team". I guess you weren't paying any attention or watch us play that much. You must look at the scores, see the 110 pts usually. Something teams did 10-20 yrs ago. No one seemed to have a problem then. NBA has changed abit. More teams are like this. I don't see why it should be looked down upon. And just because those Mavs teams failed abit. Doesn't mean we will. This is a different team. Different parts.

Besides, last night it showed in a half court slowed down game, we can score and compete. And you know, if that was Amare Stoudamire that woulda been jammed in. Then your posts would have no relevance. And why the heck did you post 2 times? Why not edit and add to it? Why even come here for to tell us something everyone has been saying? Did you think you came up with something so original you had to post to us? Did you want to be one of those who laugh and say "I knew it that they'd fail" and be so proud of yourself? That's pathetic. It's like you're trying to start something too. We're 57-18. That exceeded everyone's expecations as it is. Do I know if the style can be played? We'll see. Don't act like you've made some original thought and decided to post here.

p.s BTW where is your team ?

Reactions: G-Force

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
dissonance19 said:
Besides, last night it showed in a half court slowed down game, we can score and compete. And you know, if that was Amare Stoudamire that woulda been jammed in. Then your posts would have no relevance. And why the heck did you post 2 times? Why not edit and add to it? Why even come here for to tell us something everyone has been saying? Did you think you came up with something so original you had to post to us? Did you want to be one of those who laugh and say "I knew it that they'd fail" and be so proud of yourself? That's pathetic. It's like you're trying to start something too. We're 57-18. That exceeded everyone's expecations as it is. Do I know if the style can be played? We'll see. Don't act like you've made some original thought and decided to post here.

p.s BTW where is your team ?
When Houston was executing their offense in the half court and limited the Suns in transition, they didn't look nearly as good as they usually do against other teams, there was what, like a 30 pt swing from when the Rockets were down like 14 and went up by 16? Even though they lost by 1 point, that isn't a real indication of how close the Suns were, just how badly Houston choked in crunch time.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Drewbs said:
When Houston was executing their offense in the half court and limited the Suns in transition, they didn't look nearly as good as they usually do against other teams, there was what, like a 30 pt swing from when the Rockets were down like 14 and went up by 16? Even though they lost by 1 point, that isn't a real indication of how close the Suns were, just how badly Houston choked in crunch time.
Or how about Suns' defense steps up in the end and stops them from scoring too much inside the paint? Did you watch the game? Amare was great but too bad he got fouled out.

Gee, can you people stop looking SO DEEP into one single game? We'll see how we perform in playoffs. We don't need YOU to tell us what we can do and can't do. If you guys were that RIGHT about Suns, how come you guys didn't predict Suns would be the #1 team in the beginning of the season? I bet you guys were the ones that also said "Oh, Suns will cool off... this style won't last long." Stop acting like you are an expert d.a.m.n. it. Our running game is much more dangerous than what you know.

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
I never said that the Suns running game wasn't dangerous, I said that when the Suns are slowed down to a half court offense that a good defensive team like the Mavs, Spurs or Rockets can, nothing stands out about their offense as compared to good halfcourt offense teams like the Heat, Spurs or Mavs. But unlike those teams, the Suns don't play tough defense for 48 minutes. If they do for each game in a 6-7 game series, they don't have the depth to maintain that type of defense and getting into transition on every offensive possession. The Suns played good defense for one or two possesions at the end of the game against Houston by packing into the paint? How is that supposed to fair against more consistent outside shooting teams like Dallas or San Antonio?

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Drewbs said:
I never said that the Suns running game wasn't dangerous, I said that when the Suns are slowed down to a half court offense that a good defensive team like the Mavs, Spurs or Rockets can, nothing stands out about their offense as compared to good halfcourt offense teams like the Heat, Spurs or Mavs. But unlike those teams, the Suns don't play tough defense for 48 minutes. If they do for each game in a 6-7 game series, they don't have the depth to maintain that type of defense and getting into transition on every offensive possession. The Suns played good defense for one or two possesions at the end of the game against Houston by packing into the paint? How is that supposed to fair against more consistent outside shooting teams like Dallas or San Antonio?
Did you watch a lot of Suns' games? Just answer me this question.

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
I have watched enough games to know how the Suns play, not the entire season seeing as I'm not a huge Suns fan. Yes, theyre a very dangerous offensive team. They can score both in the halfcourt and on the break, control the tempo and force a transition game easily against less disciplined teams. Thats why they have the best record in the NBA.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Suns are capable of playing defense on more than a few occassions. They hardly press tightly on their opponents but they do cover the lanes as good as anybody in the league. They play passing lane defense ready to pounce/run.

Also, they are a very good offensive team as most know, so they dont have to really bea good defensive team to win, its the other team that needs to shoot well or score enough points to keep up, but in this situations where both teams are trading basket for basket, defensive stops at crucial times in the 4th will tend to dictate the winner... Ive seen a few games that shows suns doing this, but they will need to be able to do this automatically in playoff situations to really be succesful.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
What is the point of this thread? To me it just looks like baiting... trying to get Suns fans riled up and angry. You don't just post something on our board and say "Your entire seasons success means nothing in the postseason you will lose lose lose". And then you have the gall to say a missed basket by Hunter of all people is an indication that they won't win?

The person who started this thread posted the most unintelligent post I have ever read in my entire life.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts