Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Suns have filled their final guaranteed roster spot and their need for a big man with the most decorated center remaining on the market.

Six-time All-Star Jermaine O'Neal, plagued by injuries in recent years, has agreed to terms to join the Suns.

O'Neal, 33, is a 16-year NBA pro who was an All-Star center for Indiana for six successive seasons from 2001-07. He played the past two seasons for Boston but appeared in only 49 games in those two years. He started 24 games last season for the Celtics, averaging 5.0 points and 5.4 rebounds in 22.8 minutes per game, but underwent season-ending surgery on his left wrist in March.

O'Neal, who is 6 feet 11 and 255 pounds, has missed significant chunks of time since 2004 due to injuries. He went to Germany this summer to undergo the Orthokine treatment on both of his knees. Grant Hill also did that this summer and Kobe Bryant did it last year. O'Neal's first season in Boston, 2010-11, was cut short by knee surgery.

O'Neal had a lesser offensive role in Boston but he still was an effective rebounder and defender. For his career, O'Neal has averaged 13.7 points and 7.4 rebounds with 46.5 percent shooting. The Suns were expected to be offering a one-year, minimum-salary deal.
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...ee-to-terms-jermaine-oneal.html#ixzz23BHJACWd

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
:whatever:

I really feel for Suns fans, they deserve better.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have no problem with it, just a backup.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Another player plagued by injuries who joins the suns, maybe they will be able to get some sort of game from jermaine, although in this case Im trying to think what sort of magic theyll need to make him play efficiently again(even if just as a backup), I guess if they can make him play 10 minutes a game and reasonably healthy itll be pretty good.

·
aka Chilltown
3,750 Posts
To be honest, if he can be on the floor.. I would much rather give minutes to a 33 year old Jermaine O'Neal rather than Channing Frye ever.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To be honest, if he can be on the floor.. I would much rather give minutes to a 33 year old Jermaine O'Neal rather than Channing Frye ever.
Or Lopez - if we had kept him.

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
Why are the Suns trying to be competitive this season? Best case scenario they turn into the Jazz of last year as a really bad 8th seed.

·
2012 & 2013 NBA Champions
26,553 Posts
If the Suns turn Jermaine back to Pacers Jermaine with their medical staff wizards....ima be freaked out.

Dude has been cooked for years.

·
aka Chilltown
3,750 Posts
Why are the Suns trying to be competitive this season? Best case scenario they turn into the Jazz of last year as a really bad 8th seed.
I will be surprised if we make the playoffs as an 8 seed. I see us as a 10 seed this year unless Wes Johnson and Beasley are better than advertised.. Scola and Dragic weren't a playoff duo in Houston last year so I don't expect them to do it this year either.

I just want to see good play from Dragic, Beas, Johnson, Morris, as well as for Marshall to prove me wrong.

·
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
18,794 Posts
I am amazed. Suns are going to trounce the lakers in the first round now!

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Or Lopez - if we had kept him.
Normally teams do minor deals after the major ones are done. This means the team is as it will be for the season. And that's a shame.I don't see the playoffs in the Suns future.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's no big move to do. All the stars are settled in where they want to be for most part. They tried at EG, they will try Harden next yr.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Suns COULD make the playoffs if things play out right. Portland, Golden State and Minnesota have Injury concerns(Aldridge, Curry/Bogut, Rubio/AK47), Nuggets are far from a lock and Mavericks have a lot of new pieces. Suns if the can find their groove early might be able to sneak into the playoffs. Thunder, Lakers, Spurs, Clippers are locks I'd say as the top 4 seeds. Mavericks and Grizzlies are probably in at 5 and 6. So that's 2 spots left that are up for grabs.

I'd rather improve our draft pick but what can ya do. Would be nice to see Jermaine have a good year.

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not ruling it out either.

This team can go 1 of 2 ways to me. Surprise 6-8 seed or just reaaaaaaaaaaallly bad.

·
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
18,794 Posts
It can be okay if you believe that beasley and johnson will have great years. If not, then we're running a broken version of last year's team.

·
aka Chilltown
3,750 Posts
It can be okay if you believe that beasley and johnson will have great years. If not, then we're running a broken version of last year's team.
I much prefer this version over last season's team. And its not even that they will be more successful than last. Its the unknown. If they are better, thats cool and they have upside. If we are similar in success, then we will have a chance to see something different on the court that actually has some semblance of upside. If they suck? Thats still better than what we were last year given that the middle is exactly where you don't want to be in the NBA.

·
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
18,794 Posts
That's what I was saying. If Johnson and beasley pan out, then we're a fringe playoff team. If they don't, then they're a high lotto team.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts