Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evidently, they never looked at his heart. He's a nice young man, but while just 21, he never will be ready to shoulder the burden of reviving a sorry team in his hometown. It's too imposing a chore for anyone, much less a gentle giant who understands what the Jordan Dynasty meant to this city and surely feels more pressure because of it.
---
Curry, more than anyone else, can bring the biggest return in a deal. Much as Paxson wants to think Curry and Tyson Chandler can develop into a mighty tandem, there is more reason to think they'll fall short of expectations as the second and fourth picks in the 2001 draft.

---
A superstar plays on both ends of the court, not one. If Curry were a project taken low in the first round, his growth curve could move at a slower pace. But people are tiring of alternating scenes of Good Eddy and Bad Eddy, Inspired Eddy and Snoozing Eddy, Lean Eddy and Burger King Eddy. Why it took him three years just to get into game shape is an indictment of Bill Cartwright and Tim Floyd, but mostly of Curry. It shows he doesn't have the mental discipline to make it big.
Don't hate on the writer, he makes some really good points here. Stop drinking the koolaid for a few weeks and your eyes suddenly pop open...

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay08.html

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
What are you suggesting?

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by <b>John The Cool Kid</b>!
What are you suggesting?
That it's unlikely that he'll live up to the expectations every one has of him...and that trading him should at least be considered/

Now or in the off-season.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Pax has also said he won't trade Eddy now, and that he's been pleased about Curry's recent play. So Mariotti's rant falls on deaf ears.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by <b>johnston797</b>!
Moron-eti for GM!!! :) :) :)

Sam Smith can be asst. GM, too.
It's easy to attack the writer.

What about his points?

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Originally posted by <b>GB</b>!
That it's unlikely that he'll live up to the expectations every one has of him...and that trading him should at least be considered/

Now or in the off-season.
For what in return?

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
What little respect I had for Mariotti has gone down the tubes. I used to applaud his criticisms of Tribune management of the Cubs. Then I realized that he takes pot shots at every owner in this town as well as a myriad of its better players. His columns have digressed into a diatribe of vitriol, unnecessary hyperbole (see Sox Bin Laden comment a few days ago), and most of all negativity. What a joke.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by <b>Mongoose</b>!
Pax has also said he won't trade Eddy now, and that he's been pleased about Curry's recent play. So Mariotti's rant falls on deaf ears.
Attack the points, not the writer.

He specifically mentions the off-season in that trade, not the upcoming deadline.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by <b>superdave</b>!
What little respect I had for Mariotti has gone down the tubes. I used to applaud his criticisms of Tribune management of the Cubs. Then I realized that he takes pot shots at every owner in this town as well as a myriad of its better players. His columns have digressed into a diatribe of vitriol, unnecessary hyperbole (see Sox Bin Laden comment a few days ago), and most of all negativity. What a joke.
Where is he wrong? I have issues with some of the things he's said about the Maddux chase...but whats wrong with this editorial?

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
It's hard not to hate on the writer when the writer is an idiot. Isn't Francis a BYC player? I'm not sure but I thought he was and as such nearly impossible to move. Again, it would be soooooo refreshing for a Chicago sportswriter to actaully know about the sport he/she is writing about. A couple of quick calls would have been all it took to find out if Francis is even moveable.

Ah well. It's nice that Mariotti can play judge, jury and executioner for a young man who is still finding his way in life. I can't say for certain how Curry is going to turn out as a player. I think he'll be pretty damn good and moving him to move him because a no-brain journalist who doesn't have the slightest clue about what he's talking about is crazy. Yes, Curry can probably fetch the Bulls a nice little bounty but haven't we learned anything from past history? This franchise has been consistantly quick to jettison young talent before it's had a chance to either realize its' potential or be a bust.

Keep Curry. We've got another year to measure his "heart" and his "desire". Sometimes it takes some time for young folks to finally get it. With Currys upside, I would hope Pax is willing to give him that time.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
A quality player. Click on the link. It's not that hard.
So we should trade a guy because he wont be able to CARRY the team, and we get someone back who CAN carry the team? Or just a quality player?

You dont think Curry can be a quality player? Hell, hes already damn close. We'd be trading a potential superstar/possible roleplayer for a roleplayer. Curry will ATLEAST be a quality player.

Theres NO point in getting just a "quality" player if the only reason we're trading him is because we lost faith that he'll be a superstar.

I dont understand the logic.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by <b>fl_flash</b>!
It's hard not to hate on the writer when the writer is an idiot. Isn't Francis a BYC player? I'm not sure but I thought he was and as such nearly impossible to move.
Less than 10% of the fans in the nation know what BYC means. Besides, that trade was less than 2% of the content of the article.

What about the main theme of the article?

Keep Curry. We've got another year to measure his "heart" and his "desire".
And all the while his trade value is shrinking, shrinking, shrinking. That has the potential to set us furthur back than the Jay Will goof-up

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts

Less than 10% of the fans in the nation know what BYC means. Besides, that trade was less than 2% of the content of the article.

And all the while his trade value is shrinking, shrinking, shrinking. That has the potential to set us furthur back than the Jay Will goof-up
Why is his trade value shrinking? Does that happen when you start to play well in the NBA as Curry has the past few games?

·
Registered
8,438 Posts

I honestly think if Curry's stats continue to go up (and they have increased noticibly every year), his trade value will not sink. If he's averaging 15 and 6 next year, his value will still be sky high, and that's only 1.6 points more than he averages this year.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Mariotti is typically one of those guys I pay attention to because of his consistently being wrong. Whenever he puts his thumb up to check the wind, you can be pretty sure it will soon blow in the opposite direction from the one he takes.

He is the kiss of death for most any idea.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts