Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few from the Big East

Chris Taft - Never expected him to be so good as a freshmen.

Bryant Matthews - Yes the team sucks, but who expected this guy to be 24-10 and an all-american candidate.

Allan Ray - Did not expect him to be averaging 18 a game.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Bryant Matthews - Has won games for Va Tech single handedly. Amazing numbers and will be 1st team BE or at least he deserves it.

Danny Granger - Helped NMex get to 4-4 so far in conf. Probably should be MWC POY right now. I didn't think a transfer like that would have so much impact on the league.

David Hawkins - Great play overshadowed by Temple's mediocrity. This team would be next to St Bonaventure and Fordham without him.

·
The Snake
6,527 Posts
Maybe I was unlightened but how can you not just hand this award to Ryan Gomes. He's been unbelieveable and his team has become really good, but maybe I was sleeping the whole time.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Curtis Stinson from Iowa State. Not a top 100 player out of high school and was recruited by Drexel and ISU. Went to ISU and is 3 time freshman of the week and possibility for Big 12 freshman of the year. Not to shabby.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by <b>T.Shock</b>!
Maybe I was unlightened but how can you not just hand this award to Ryan Gomes. He's been unbelieveable and his team has become really good, but maybe I was sleeping the whole time.
Ryan Gomes scored almost 20 a game last year, and was predicted many to be first team all Big East.

Providence is a surprise (for myself, although I know that HKF promoted them early on), but not Gomes.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Originally posted by <b>JuniorNoboa</b>!

Ryan Gomes scored almost 20 a game last year, and was predicted many to be first team all Big East.

Providence is a surprise (for myself, although I know that HKF promoted them early on), but not Gomes.
Yes you are right Junior. If anyone looks through the posts a few months back they will see that most people in Big East country predicted him to be All-Big East first team (remember me and my Donnie McGrath avatar).

Gomes is far from a surprise. He was a preseason First Team All-Big East player. Some of these guys that are mentioned as surprises aren't really surprises at all. Bryant Matthews has more scoring load because Carlos Dixon is out for the season, but if he wasn't the Hokies would be a better team and as for Danny Granger, I was ok with it when he left Bradley, but I didn't know he would dominate like he is doing at UNM. He said he wants to go to the league and he is well on his way to getting the job done.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Two guys from the MWC:

Brandon Heath - SDSU
Danny Granger - NM

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
Okie state's John Lucas Jr.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Originally posted by <b>IQ</b>!
Adam Morrison
great choice, i dont know if you can be a breakout player as a freshman but he would be my choice also. saw him in the state tournament last year and you could see he was a special player but he was about 6-5, he's grown about 3 inches since then.(just like larry bird did out of hs). as you know he's playing behind a lot of seniors so next year he should be a go to guy. nice pick.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Also in addition to Aerick Sanders, this isn't a "breakout" player, but it's a surprising player since he's a freshman. PJ Tucker.....Not many top schools recruited him due to his height and now he's 2nd in scoring and 1st in rebounding on a top 15 Texas team. Has played so well that he has made James Thomas only play 16.4 MPG.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts