Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Sweetneys potential

524 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  nanokooshball 
#1 ·
Now I'v been a Sweetney fan for a while now (Georgetown days) I was wondering what do you guys what type of player he can become if he lives up to his potential. I know he was being compared to Brand during his college days but how about Randolph (the guy that killed us lol). Iam not hyping him up in regards of last nights game always liked Sweetney but he got so much potential for a big man. I remember saying that for a certain big man that got traded to the knicks. With that said what do you think

#2 ·
It's hard to say. Sweetney has always been a really productive and efficient player. If he could continue to score and rebound at the rate he has this season over 35 minutes a game he'd average 19 points and 13 boards. The question is, can he play that many minutes a night? He needs to be in better shape before we can judge.

#4 ·
MightyReds2020 said:
Unless he starts really taking care of himself, he is just another Tractor Taylor.
Physical similarities aside, I don't buy this. Traylor was never a very productive or efficient player, even in limited minutes. Sweetney is extremely productive and efficient in limited minutes.

#6 ·
transplant said:
From what I've seen, he's a very nice player. As others have said, he needs to get in 35+-minute shape. He seems to be coachable. 18-10 is a reasonable expectation.
A player I think we can compare those stats with is Zydrunas. 16.9 pts and 8.5 rebs and not a spectacular defender. He signed a 5 year, 60 million dollar contract. Even though Sweetney does not play the same position, are the bulls prepared to give Sweetney a similiar contract? It may seem like we won't have to worry about his contract for another year but I believe we have to consider if the bulls want to make Sweetney a cornerstone of this club.

Would signing Ben or Nene be the kiss of death for Sweetney? Or will we have to get rid of Deng/Gordon/Kirk (guys who will command a long term / big deal. I believe it's not as simple as substituting Sweetney for Curry in the grand Pax plan.

#7 ·
spongyfungy said:
A player I think we can compare those stats with is Zydrunas. 16.9 pts and 8.5 rebs and not a spectacular defender. He signed a 5 year, 60 million dollar contract. Even though Sweetney does not play the same position, are the bulls prepared to give Sweetney a similiar contract? It may seem like we won't have to worry about his contract for another year but I believe we have to consider if the bulls want to make Sweetney a cornerstone of this club.

Would signing Ben or Nene be the kiss of death for Sweetney? Or will we have to get rid of Deng/Gordon/Kirk (guys who will command a long term / big deal. I believe it's not as simple as substituting Sweetney for Curry in the grand Pax plan.
I don't think that signing Nene would necessarily mean that we're giving up on Sweetney. We'll sign Nene or Nazr just so we can add some height or athleticism to the front court so we don't get abused by opposing front courts. I think we'll lure Nene or Nazr by allowing them to take the starting spot for their first season here at first, but if Sweetney improves his quickness, Defense, and conditioning we'll resign him and possibly allow him to take the starting PF spot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.