Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a fan of Travis Outlaw, so I really tried to focus on him at the game last night. I thought he demonstrated good effort and energy last night fighting through screens, playing pressure, taking shots when he was open, hustling up and down the court. He's a player I'd like to watch continue to develop.
That being said, somebody has to go at the small forward position. I love what Ruben Patterson gave to this team while he was playing, but the organization seems to want him gone. Khraypa looks like he could be a Ruben clone with a better outside shot. Miles is fun to watch when he's on his game, but has he shown everything he has to offer after being in the league for a few years now? I think Outlaw, in another two years will bring everything Miles does now, and still potentially get better. SAR, if he re-signs which I doubt he will, is a PF, period. I hope and pray Monia is a SG in the league.

So, IMO, next season, at small forward, start Khraypa and bring Outlaw of the bench antlet them split the 48 minutes, with outlaw getting time at SG. The Blazers should own up to their mistake and take on someone else's big contract for a vet PG, SG, PF or center for depth and build the team around Telfair, Monia, Khraypa, Outlaw, Randolph, Joel, HA and draft picks.

Just my opinion.

Go Blazers!!!

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
I like the thinking,but would start Outlaw and bring Viktor off the bench. If he reminds people of Detlef Schremph, he would beo ur perfect 6th man since Det did indeed win a 6th man of the year award. Vik is exactly what we need off the bench. Matter of fact, oth Russian off of the bench would be nasty. I've said this before, give Miles another year. I would start he and Outlaw on the wings with Telfair Zach and Joel....that is a prety nice defensive unit right there.

·
Retired From The Beat
2,454 Posts
I've said it before, I'll say it again.... Viktor Khyrapa = Ruben Patterson with a jump shot.

He's the perfect bench player.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
NateBishop3 said:
I've said it before, I'll say it again.... Viktor Khyrapa = Ruben Patterson with a jump shot.

He's the perfect bench player.
Remember, too, that he's a few inches taller than Ruben, so he'll probably be a better rebounder. Why does that add up to a bench player? Great defense with a jump shot?

That sounds like a starter and maybe an all-star to me.

Ed O.

·
Premium Member
4,497 Posts
Except Ruben was one of those guys that wanted the FANS to get into the game.

Love patterson....we need to keep him, although I don't think we will. He's a true warrior...a guy who's out there for the love of the game, who wants the fans to get a good value for their money. Honestly, my favorite Blazer on the team, as well as many of the other fans. He gives it his ALL, and then some.

The only intangible I don't see Monya having is Ruben's interaction with the crowd and his ability to take the ball into the lane himself and take over the offense (which usually worked out well).

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I think the Blazers are committed to Miles for a while, and that might be ok. The odd man out is Ruben Patterson, but there ought to be teams eager for his services now that he's given up drinking, has gotten control of his anger, and settled down as he reaches age 30. He's a perfect defensive stopper for a team like Dallas or Phoenix that has the offense, but needs the Big D.

What if the Blazers package Patterson and a draft pick for Q-Rich or Joe Johnson and the Suns' second rounder? Or, how about we send both DA and Patterson to Dallas for Michael Finley and a throw-in?

Anyway...

I could see a starting lineup of this: PG: Telfair, SG: TBD - via trade/free agency/draft, SF: Darius Miles, PF: Zach Randolph, C: Przybilla.

Reserves: PG: TBD - via trade/draft/free agency, SG: Derek Anderson (if the Blazers can't unload him)/ Sergei Monia, SF: Travis Outlaw, PF/C: Ratliff backs up both Joel and Zach. Last resort C: Ha.

Basically, this would allow the Blazers to jettison Van Exel, Stoudamire, and Abdur-Rahim, which I doubt the Blazers will do. Someone will be involved in a sign-and-trade this summer for one of the guard positions, or possibly some extra beef up front.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Where's Khryapa in your scenario?

If they can't trade DA, it might be getting to the point where both parties would look at a buyout. If there are no significant trades and those guys are allowed to walk I could see us end up with...

Telfair/MLE player
Outlaw/Monia
Miles/Khryapa
Randolph/Ratliff
Przybilla/HA

I really like the idea of Ruben + DA turning into Finley, or someone like Eddie Jones... basically someone who can come in, start at SG and be a good mentor to the young guys and bring them along to a winning way.

If SF is feeling crowded next year, I could see Miles or Khryapa stealing some backup PF minutes from Ratliff - especially if he's having another semi-injured season. If Outlaw is capable of playing a lot of SG, that would certainly help.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Outlaw has to play SG for our team. If Marvin Williams comes out and some people want to take him, he has to play sf,because that's the only posistion I see him being successful at, at this level. So I think the position we draft in the lottery will determine how highly we think of our boys at the wing positions. If we really want to see Outlaw/Monia-Miles/Khryapa all getting time at the wing slots, we'd be foolish to draft a SF, unless we get rid of one of them,which I really don't want to do. I'd do anything, realistically, to get Bogut.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts