Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm bored and having nothing better to do so why not do a little mini comparison of the best perimeter players in the league.

Here it goes first off is T-Mac, he is the better defender of the two he has size and length he's the best at blocking shots and gets steals uses his length well good ball handler solid mid-range jumpe shooter very strong in the post and rebounds very well and can hit three but not so good a free-throw shooter. He is a decent passer and gets assists because he garners so much attention from the defense. He is the most athletic of the two and can finish with authority.

Next up is Kobe, he is a very good defender himself who is very aggresive, plays the angles and the passing lanes, and gets steals. He is capable of blocking some shots and is a solid rebounder has an excllent mid-range jumper can post and is adept at hitting little runners in the lane is the best ball-handler of the two and is capable of running an offense. Very good one-on-one and and usually gets to the hole whenever he wants.He is a very good free-throw shooter who gets to the line often.He is the better clutch player who hits big shots and can take over a game. His most glaring weakness his his three-point shooting where he only shot about .250% last season.

Now I know these types of comaprisons have been done to death but hey seeing as there are so many one more couldn't hurt. Replies are welcome and if you are wondering why I didn't provide any stats I would have except I was too lazy to get some anyway peace I'm out.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm gonna compare Vince and Pierce later I just accidentally left them on the post sorry.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
You must be nuts? Kobes a much better defender and I agree these posts are old. Kobe is better. and he shot good threes in the playoffs when it matters.
Kobes also a much better big game guy.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Originally posted by shobe42
You must be nuts? Kobes a much better defender and I agree these posts are old. Kobe is better. and he shot good threes in the playoffs when it matters.
Kobes also a much better big game guy.

I agree. Kobe is a much better defender than Tracy. Kobe is better, and you cant use the excuse about him having shaq

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
Isn't it funny how all these "Kobe is much better" posts are coming from a couple of guys with Mr. Bryant in their avatar.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Let's Go To The Stats...

Here you go...Call it what chu want...

Kobe Bryant:
6-7 210
25.2ppg
5.5rpg
5.5apg*
1.48spg
.44bpg
.469 FG%*
.829 FT%*
.250 3PT%
38.3mpg
Lakers Record: 58-24*

Tracy McGrady:
6-8 210
25.6ppg*
7.9rpg*
5.3apg
1.57spg*
.96bpg*
.451 FG%
.748 FT%
.364 3PT%*
38.3mpg
Magic's Record: 44-38

·
Registered
316 Posts
I like IMX a lot. This guy is a great poster whi diesn't argue about it, He just simply gets his point across. Looking at the stats, I'd rather take McGrady over Kobe. McGrady just doens't have as much time in the sun as Kobe does. TMac would do just as well, if not better on the Lakers than Kobe. Put Kobe in Orlando and he simply wouldn't do as good........

·
Registered
338 Posts
and how do u know he wouldnt do as good? and aslo if tracy abd shaq would cooperate or even win championships? the thing is we dont know and i am almost sure u dont cuz u have never seen them play on a team or kobe by himself i guess we will hav to see if they pull somkind of trade off or else we will never know.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Originally posted by hOnDo

I agree. Kobe is a much better defender than Tracy. Kobe is better, and you cant use the excuse about him having shaq
Your taking words out of my mouth

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
First, I believe a McGrady/O'Neal combination would be just as deadly as the current one. They are good buds and hang out together in the off-season quite a bit in Orlando. If you remember back when Shaq and Kobe were fueding, Shaq said something to the extent that if there was anyone he'd want to play with, it would be McGrady. I also believe Bryant would do just as well as McGrady does currently for the Magic. I doubt he could do more, because there is only so much one man can do.

One more thing. Here's a stat that most people forget about when posting stats. Here are the premiere perimeter players turnovers per game:

Kobe Bryant: 2.79
Vince Carter: 2.57
Allen Iverson: 3.95
Tracy McGrady: 2.49
Paul Pierce: 2.94

Think of it what you wish.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
I seriously doubt Tmac would work better, it would be worse.

For Tmac to play well it has to be isolation w/ him holding on to the ball alot... That wouldn't work in the triangle at all, and Tmac hasn't shown to be able to put up the same numbers when he has to share the ball w/ other star players. IE carter, hill(when he wasn't injured). Then again, Tmac puts up similar numbers with hill touching the ball more this year, then I'll change my mind. Tmac is a great player though, it's just I don't think he would work as well not touching the ball as much.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
one on one, tmac might beat Kobe, but in context of lakers being able to do better w/ the system they have, no way... Kobe is much more competitive and strong willed. His style suits the Lakers much better.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I agree with KennethTo....

1 on 1....T-Mac has the size & strength to alter Kobe. On Offense T-Mac is aggressive and a great finisher on the breaks. His D has improved, and he will be one of the premier defenders, but the knock on T-Mac is his overall desire - some say he lacks that??

We all know, the NBA is not based on 1 on1 competition, (not until the All-Star game atleast or during the summer at Rucker Park) Kobe has the all around skillz, he plays D and can take over games at will, especially the 4th qtr or for the game winner.

That's why I'll never see or understand it when haterz say - Kobe has Shaq??? This is a team sport and it takes more than one player to be successful in the NBA, But all around skillz wise, I'd take Kobe over T-mac. I believe if T-mac had Shaq, he'd be hated as well......Theirs no ending to it, just peoples opinions, being crossed over by proven facts.
;) :yes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts