Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any news in him?

He was last in ATL, anybody knows if he had only w one year contract? Is he a FA right now?

Pipe dream but I'd love to have him on the Heat. Jesus, wade and t-Mac in the same team is like my dream SG line up.

·
Legend
12,913 Posts
Pretty much any of the contenders are a good fit. I think Lakers work best for both sides. Lakers just focus on retaining Steve Blake, end all ties with Sessions, then have McGrady as the back up facilitator.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
I can't stand Mclady but seeing him playing behind Kobe as a back up would be poetic justice to all of the stupid people who used to think he was better. I'd welcome him for that reason alone.

And we desperately need a backup 2 guard.

·
Registered
11,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
T-Mac could of been in the same breath as him had he not been injured so much.

Kobe is the harder worker so I don't think that Tmac could of been the better player but injury aside and shitty team aside, there was a time that he deserved to be in the same breath as Kobe.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
He was on the same level but he was never as good or better than Bean. Ironically, if he put forth half the effort that Kobe has over the years then he would have been significantly better than Kobe. Same with Wince.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
Obviously. But he could have been.
I disagree. He was obviously a phenomenal talent but I don't think he was the absolute freak and mismatch on the perimeter McGrady was. I think Vince's peak is about as good as it could've been, he just couldn't sustain it because of his laziness and mental weakness. McGrady could've been one of the best players ever.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
Vince was infinitely more athletic than Kobe was, had arguably better range on his jumper than Kobe, and had all of the physical tools to be the best shooting guard in the world. Hindsight is adorable, but the fact remains that Wince should have been better. But he wasn't.

T-Mac is the same story. He had better physical tools, he was a more willing passer, and was taller. He should have been better and stayed better.

But neither of them possessed half of the drive that Kobe had, and that's why Bean is a top 10 player ever and Wince/Mclady will fade into obscurity other than Youtube highlight reels.

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
Tmac is a jinx. Any team that signs him will regret it when they get bounced from the first round. (Well... unless he gets put on the IR, a la the 09 Rockets).

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
Vince was infinitely more athletic than Kobe was, had arguably better range on his jumper than Kobe, and had all of the physical tools to be the best shooting guard in the world. Hindsight is adorable, but the fact remains that Wince should have been better. But he wasn't.

T-Mac is the same story. He had better physical tools, he was a more willing passer, and was taller. He should have been better and stayed better.

But neither of them possessed half of the drive that Kobe had, and that's why Bean is a top 10 player ever and Wince/Mclady will fade into obscurity other than Youtube highlight reels.
Not really, Vince could jump out of the gym but he wasn't out of this world quick or strong. He could jump/dunk with anyone in the history of the game and shoot with superb range, but it's not like he was ever physically capable of being an unstoppable slasher or finisher in traffic. Could never take contact and finish, post up or do everything needed to be as good as Kobe. Increased effort and drive wouldn't have changed that.

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
Not really, Vince could jump out of the gym but he wasn't out of this world quick or strong. He could jump/dunk with anyone in the history of the game and shoot with superb range, but it's not like he was ever physically capable of being an unstoppable slasher or finisher in traffic. Could never take contact and finish, post up or do everything needed to be as good as Kobe. Increased effort and drive wouldn't have changed that.
I disagree with that. He could've been all those things, his first step in his early years was very quick and he used to get into the lane like it was nothing, but then once the injured seasons began (his 3rd year in the league)S, he stopped taking it to the rim, and just became a soft jumpshooter. He also never worked as hard to hone his game like Kobe did, or keep himself in shape like Kobe did. Increased effort and drive could very well have improved all that. Kobe did not have much of a post game until a few years into the league, and did not really start using it as a big part in his own offense until after Shaq was traded. At that stage in Vince's career, he was basically done.

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
There is no reason that Carter could not have had a career that was at least as good as Paul Pierce. There are always big holes in Vince Carter's game that could've been filled if he had put in the time. He could've worked out harder in the offseason to have gotten himself into better shape, improve his conditioning and reduce the stress that the season put on his knees and ankles. His ball handling was always a little bit suspect, but he never improved it to the point that he could continue to take it to the basket once his first step started to go. And he never developed any sort of post game or off the ball game to make the game easier for himself. That is all on Vince. He just never had the motivation to be the best like Kobe did.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
the biggest hole in Carter's game was in his pants - the smart team would have hired Oakley as his personal trainer

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
vince carter's work ethic had always been poor. look at how lean he looked his first few years in the league. then come 2004 he showed up to raps training camp way overweight and way out of shape. he career was basically all downhill from there.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts