Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>JNice</b>!
End of next season.

I am wondering whether or not Orlando will try to extend him and whether or not he would accept.
I think teams with cap are wondering the same. It's gonna be a wild FA year.

-Petey

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I know we have the home court advantage for him, being that he's from Florida and loves the fact that his family and friends can all come to his games. I know that's a plus. But I'm gonna be worried if we can't improve. Management has a lot of issues to be worked out. Possible trade of howard, for a decent center. That would help us alot. It would open the PF spotlight to Gooden, and bring in a decent center. I know we won't get a big name guy, just a decent defender with good rebounding skills and an ounce of offense is all we need. Gooden would develope faster. Plus with the recovery of grant hill still undetermined, on his after the all star break come back. Who knows what happens there, but if it actually works this time (let us Pray). We would be in solid shape. With the addition of a solid draft next year, drafting a big man with huge potential would be a plus. I think that would help keep T-Mac here. I just hope team managment does something, to help improve the team, and keep him here. Thoughts?

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Gainesvillain</b>!
Well I know we have the home court advantage for him, being that he's from Florida and loves the fact that his family and friends can all come to his games. I know that's a plus. But I'm gonna be worried if we can't improve. Management has a lot of issues to be worked out. Possible trade of howard, for a decent center. That would help us alot. It would open the PF spotlight to Gooden, and bring in a decent center. I know we won't get a big name guy, just a decent defender with good rebounding skills and an ounce of offense is all we need. Gooden would develope faster. Plus with the recovery of grant hill still undetermined, on his after the all star break come back. Who knows what happens there, but if it actually works this time (let us Pray). We would be in solid shape. With the addition of a solid draft next year, drafting a big man with huge potential would be a plus. I think that would help keep T-Mac here. I just hope team managment does something, to help improve the team, and keep him here. Thoughts?

If they can get there hands on a guy with Jermaine Oneal like potential in Dwight Howard, or even a solid guy like Okafor, that might be enough to keep Tmac around.

Orlando can also give him the most money and even an equal contract from another team is less than what one would be worth from Orlando with Florida's no state income tax.

I think moving Howard will be the biggest thing. Also, some kind of decision on Hill has to be made before next season starts. I dont think they should let him play in a regular season game unless they are 100% sure he will last. If he doesnt play a game, his contract would come off the books sometime during the 2004-2005 season I believe, which would make him extremely valuable trade bait for a team looking to dump salary. At this point, I am really hoping for that. Orlando could do a lot with 13-14 million to spend.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Whatever happens, don't let him do to you what he did to Toronto. He gave no indication he was leaving....then wouldn't even return calls when it came time to discuss a new contract. We could have traded him for steve francis, elton brand, but didn't.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by <b>cram</b>!
Whatever happens, don't let him do to you what he did to Toronto. He gave no indication he was leaving....then wouldn't even return calls when it came time to discuss a new contract. We could have traded him for steve francis, elton brand, but didn't.
Do you blame him? Look at how the people in toronto treated him. I would have done the same thing, and come that summer everyone knew he was leaving town. Everyone knew he was gonna be signed for the max. Alot thought he would end up in chicago though, cause orlando originally wanted Hill and Duncan. But I'm still glad he ended up here. But we'll treat him differently than toronto.

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
Everyone knew he was gonna be signed for the max.
This is exactly why it's laughable to hear Tmac fans say he came to Orlando to be apart of a great team, with Grant and Tim. There is no way Orlando was going to be able to pay him the max, Tim the max, and Hill whatever he would have settled for. :nonono:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by <b>IV</b>!

This is exactly why it's laughable to hear Tmac fans say he came to Orlando to be apart of a great team, with Grant and Tim. There is no way Orlando was going to be able to pay him the max, Tim the max, and Hill whatever he would have settled for. :nonono:
What are you talking about? There was no way they were gonna sign all 3. They originally wanted Hill and Duncan, but duncan re-signed with SA. Read again Quote from previous post "cause orlando originally wanted Hill and Duncan.".

So I dont' know what you're talking about. They couldn't get hill and Duncan so they got Hill and T-Mac. No way in Hell could they get all 3. So whatever your point is. I don't know.

·
Registered
10,030 Posts

What are you talking about? There was no way they were gonna sign all 3. They originally wanted Hill and Duncan, but duncan re-signed with SA. Read again Quote from previous post "cause orlando originally wanted Hill and Duncan.".

So I dont' know what you're talking about. They couldn't get hill and Duncan so they got Hill and T-Mac. No way in Hell could they get all 3. So whatever your point is. I don't know.
You just re-emphasised my point 3 times.

The point is "It is laughable for Tmac fans, to say he came to Orlando to be part of a great team, because there was no way that(all 3) could have ever happened.

If you weren't taking my post to heart, you'd realize I'm not addressing your post, only your comment in reference to others making that claim. :cool:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by <b>IV</b>!

You just re-emphasised my point 3 times.

The point is "It is laughable for Tmac fans, to say he came to Orlando to be part of a great team, because there was no way that(all 3) could have ever happened.

If you weren't taking my post to heart, you'd realize I'm not addressing your post, only your comment in reference to others making that claim. :cool:
Well I haven't seen or heard anyone say anything about him coming to be a part of a Hill and Duncan team. There was never a chance of that. Like you said for one they couldn't afford it and two, Duncan resigned with San antonio like a few days after his visit with Orlando. Then they immediately went after Mcgrady.

·
Registered
10,030 Posts

Well I haven't seen or heard anyone say anything about him coming to be a part of a Hill and Duncan team. There was never a chance of that. Like you said for one they couldn't afford it and two, Duncan resigned with San antonio like a few days after his visit with Orlando. Then they immediately went after Mcgrady.
Trust me they have. With that said, I completely agree with you.

:yes:

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Actually there was a chance to sign all three at the time. And Grant Hill was quoted at the time as saying he would re-structure his deal or whatever to make it happen. If you've got the chance to sign all three, you find a way.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Actually there was a chance to sign all three at the time. And Grant Hill was quoted at the time as saying he would re-structure his deal or whatever to make it happen. If you've got the chance to sign all three, you find a way.
Didn't hear about that one ever. Would be an interesting read. Know where you read it JNice?

With such a jesture from Hill, guess he really hated Detriot.

-Petey

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Petey</b>!

Didn't hear about that one ever. Would be an interesting read. Know where you read it JNice?

With such a jesture from Hill, guess he really hated Detriot.

-Petey
I have no idea where I heard or read it, but I do remember it. May have been reported on TV, I dont know, it was 3/4 yrs ago.

Hill has always been an un-selfish guy, I dont think it would have had anything to do with hating Detroit, but the opportunity to play with both Duncan and McGrady. Hill was getting a lot of heat for not getting out of the first round, so I'm sure winning was a major priority.

Plus, as I've said before, you can actually get a lower value contract with Orlando/Miami and it would be worth just as much as a higher contract somewhere because of no state income taxes.

Anyways, who cares, I am not about to go back and try research it.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts

I have no idea where I heard or read it, but I do remember it. May have been reported on TV, I dont know, it was 3/4 yrs ago.

Hill has always been an un-selfish guy, I dont think it would have had anything to do with hating Detroit, but the opportunity to play with both Duncan and McGrady. Hill was getting a lot of heat for not getting out of the first round, so I'm sure winning was a major priority.

Plus, as I've said before, you can actually get a lower value contract with Orlando/Miami and it would be worth just as much as a higher contract somewhere because of no state income taxes.

Anyways, who cares, I am not about to go back and try research it.
The Magic did a sign and trade for him, so he could get more money and a 7th year. I don't think it was reported correctly.

I do remember him saying that he would reduce his pay or work out his contract differently due to handicapping the team later in his tenure with the team. I even made a post about it.

-Petey

·
Registered
109 Posts
JNice is right, I do remember the BIG summer for the magic vividly. Grant was the 1st to sign and shortly after Duncan was going to sign. Too bad Robinson left his vacation early to talk Duncan into returning to the spurs. Another factor was there were numerous reports in the orlando media stating Duncans girlfriend at the time was not too fond of orlando. After Duncan signed thats when the magic made sure they would court tmac hard. Tmac was just an after thought for the magic, a backup plan if you will. Before Duncan decided to stay a spur there were reports that tmac was going to also come to orlando, Knowing the magic didnt have enough money to sign all 3. Grant offered to take a lesser salary so tmac could get his dough, only after duncan resigned did the magic and pistons discuss a sign and trade.

Before hoopsworld.com was that it was known as something else... bskball.com I THINK, not exactly sure, I do remember them talking about the possibility of the magic getting all three players. They talked about a team finally being able to take on the lakers, too bad Duncan resigned and Grant was fragile like glass....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.