1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wally and Terrell

for

Eddie Robinson, Travis Best, Jamal Crawford

T-Wolves get a healthy backcourt and a fleet of foot(when healthy) small forward.

Bull get Wally to break zones swinging between the 2/3 and a great mentor(when healthy) for "Jay".

It's hard to move injury risk players but here there is an exchange. Kevin will have the spotlight all to himself and play the 4. Minnesota won't have to pay Wally big bucks or worry about Brandon breaking down and hurting their playoff prospects.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Maybe Wally, But Not T.B.

The Bulls wouldn't pick up Brandon's contract. He's more then cap filler as he makes, if I recall correctly 11 million dollars a year and is always injured. Plus, they will want to play J. Will as much as possible, so that he can develop. Thus, they wont be willing to bring in a potential starter. No point in drafting the most pro-ready player and then not playing him. If they can find another way to get Wally however, I believe the Bulls will do it, as they could use a bit of help at the 2 spot.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
T-Wolf Salaries

Bull Salaries

The Bull apparently aren't going to keep Best; so who will be the vet point guard and why not try to get something for him?
As "Jay" comes on; Terrell fades in minutes(he's older than Best and should accept this fate better). In the mean time (while he's healthy) Brandon starts at the beginning of the season and "Jay" can learn how run the point and keep turnovers to a minimum(a problem for "Jay" in college). "Jay" starts the season as backup. Taking Brandon's contract is the poison pill needed to get Minnesota to part with Wally. The Bull don't re-sign him after 3 years. Injury exemption may happen if he gets injured but can still return eventually. If he can't return there is NO recourse. Ouch.

Minnesota gets a smaller poison pill in Eddie Robinson's contract which runs 1 year longer. Crawford is the enticement. In a sense they get the backcourt the Bull have devalued by drafting "Jay".

·
Beer Drinker!!!
8,247 Posts
That trade SUCKS for the Bulls,for the simple fact that NO ONE knows if Brandon will ever be the same,after the injury?!

Bulls

E-Rob - is good for 16pts 6reb when healthy,and getting PT.

Best - is a VERY SOLID PG at the very least.

Crawford - is gonna be an ALL-STAR if not SUPER-STAR in this league!

T-Wolves

Brandon - is an AWESOME PG that acts like a punk,and lets not forget the career threatening injury!

Wally - is a an ALL-STAR soon to be SUPER-STAR!

Now that weve broken this trade down,do u still think its fair?

I DIDNT think so!:eek:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Originally posted by HEATLUNATIC
That trade SUCKS for the Bulls,for the simple fact that NO ONE knows if Brandon will ever be the same,after the injury?!

[It's my understanding that he's healthy now. If not then the deal doesn't happen. If he gets injured after the trade the Bull can sign a replacement for 50% of his salary. If he gets injured after the trade and has to retire then there is no remedy. Ouch! The same is true for ERob and JC however.]

Bulls

E-Rob - is good for 16pts 6reb when healthy,and getting PT.

["when healthy" are the key words. Brandon isn't the only player in this idea who is an injury risk.
ERob's NBA career highs are: 67 games played; 3 rebounds/game; 9 points/game at age 26.]

Best - is a VERY SOLID PG at the very least.

[Agreed. The problem is he's younger than Brandon and won't want to have his minutes reduced behind "Jay" and Crawford. Do the Bull let him go for naught?]

Crawford - is gonna be an ALL-STAR if not SUPER-STAR in this league!

[Could very well be the case BUT so far this is his record:

2000/2001: 61 games; 17.2 minutes; 35.2 FG%

2001/2002: 23 games; 20.9 minutes; 47.6 FG%

Career Averages: 42 games; 19.05 minutes; 39.9 FG%]

T-Wolves

Brandon - is an AWESOME PG that acts like a punk,and lets not forget the career threatening injury!

[Wasn't he an All Star? A fading star giving way to a rising one("Jay") works for me.]

Wally - is a an ALL-STAR soon to be SUPER-STAR!

[Not sure if he'll ever be a super star but unlike the players the Bull give up(with the exception of Best) he is proven.]

Now that weve broken this trade down,do u still think its fair?

[Who is "we"? :confused: This Bull fan thanks you for your help in breaking down the trade but still likes it. :) ]

I DIDNT think so!:eek:

[I DO think so :yes: . The Bull get 2 players who were All Stars and the T-Wolf gets 0 :eek: The T-Wolf have to take 2 players who have had serious injuries and the Bull only have to take 1 :eek: ]

·
Wolves Enthusiast
6,038 Posts
its a horrible trade for the wolves i say get marc jackson out of our lives and bring in and try to sign larry hughes, travus best, mike bibby, or bonzi wells. i also heard a trade that could go down

wolves get:
andre miller and future second round pick(2003)

hornets get:
wally and a future draft pick

cavs get:
baron davis and future draft pick

the wolves would get a solid point guard, a small forward or SG because of injuries to mashburn and would have wesley at PG and alexander at SG, also baron davis and he is what they need a scorer and a franchise player

·
Registered
133 Posts
well i think jamal crawford will be the best pg in the league within 3 years

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hmmm...

I happen to think that Wally World should be avoided simply because of his contract demands. Is he a max player? I don't really think so. He's always going to be a defensive liability, and I doubt he'll ever be in a situation better than the one he was in last year (the #2 option on a 50-win team).

I DO happen to think that the Bulls should do whatever they can to get something good in return for Fizer, "E-Rob" (is this guy really good enough to deserve a nickname, I ask?), and "J-Craw" (again, is this guy really good enough to deserve a nickname?). The future of this team is Jay Williams, Jalen Rose, Eddy Curry, and Tyson Chandler--they need to surround these guys with nice cheap role players. E-Rob is not cheap, Fizer is the quintessential tweener (they need to get what they can for that guy ASAP, how about Popeye Jones in a sign-and-trade?), and J-Craw is the odd man out (Jay Williams and Jalen Rose both need to play at LEAST 35 minutes/game for this team, so where are the minutes for this guy?).

Here's what the team should do: 1) Re-sign Travis Best for cheap (he won't get a good offer from anybody else, and this guy is a GREAT first guard off the bench, he just needs to understand that he's not a starter in this league); 2) Trade Fizer for Popeye (Popeye gets signed first, obviously)--the team needs some nice veteran inside role players, and there is not a better inside role player in this league, what a great guy to have on yr team, and the time to get something for Fizer is NOW, not later; 3) Try to dump E-Rob's contract (they probably won't be able to succeed here); 4) Trade Crawford to Orlando for Mike Miller (Orlando desperately wants a PG, they like Crawford, they want to get rid of Miller so they can give all the SF minutes to Grant Hill, so I think they'll do this deal); 5) Sign a veteran backup center for cheap (how about Kevin Willis?)

Your 2002-03 Bulls:

PG Jay Williams--Travis Best
SG Jalen Rose--Trenton Hassell
SF Mike Miller--Eddie Robinson
PF Tyson Chandler--Popeye Jones
C Eddy Curry--Kevin Willis

I think Miller would be a great fit here, he'd be a hell of a lot cheaper than Wally World, and he doesn't have Wally World's ego, either. Popeye would be a great role player for many more years for this team, while Willis would be able to give the team a solid 15-20 minutes a game next season (remember, Curry is still very raw, and he gets in foul trouble, and please do not try to convince me that Dalibor Bagaric is a good backup, because he's not). I still think Eddie Robinson is an interesting slasher off the bench, but he'll never be a star, he's a nice role player AT BEST, let's hope for THAT, not 16 ppg (as somebody suggested earlier).

I think that the top nine players here (everybody above MINUS Willis) is a good-enough nucleus to challenge for the NBA Finals in about 3-4 years, assuming Chandler AND Curry progress into stars (AND assuming that they both get re-signed!). This team should improve quite a bit next season--I'm thinking that they could go about 35-47, which is a pretty significant improvement, obviously.

Continuity is REALLY, REALLY IMPORTANT in the NBA, people don't understand this. You keep these top nine players together, I'm telling you, this team can really go places. In three years: Jay Williams and Tyson Chandler are both All-Stars; Jalen Rose is the savvy veteran in the backcourt; Eddy Curry continues his development (think Michael Olowokandi, not Shaq--plenty of upside, but it takes centers a LOOOOOONG time to develop, and this guy is still a kid, he's only 22 or 23 years old in three years); Mike Miller understands his role as the team's designated sharpshooter; Best, Hassell, and E-Rob all understand their roles off the bench; Popeye is considered the #1 role player in the league and is the team leader (seriously). And don't forget about draft picks--the team will get a lottery pick next season (should be around the 7th or 8th pick overall, if the team wins 35 games).

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like Brandon may be able to play.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/511/3056834.html

Looks like Best may sign with a team other than Miami.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/3654433.htm

Looks like Minnesota may be interested in Best.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/ny-knix132784005jul13.story...

(Sorry about the link not working but the rest of the article isn't about Best anyway.)

Newsday _
Greg Logan
July 13, 2002
It's not likely the Knicks will use their midlevel exception to go after a veteran point guard. Chicago free agent Travis Best has been contacted by 13 teams, but agent Forrest King said the Knicks are not among them.
The Knicks previously have tried to package veteran Charlie Ward in a trade to Minnesota, but the Timberwolves have turned them down while maintaining great interest in Best. ...
====================
Why would the T-Wolf want Best
AND Brandon?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts