Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Like my creative thread title? You thought it was goona be political-related, didn't you -- didn't you? :D)

Just got to thinking about our pending PG situation.

OK, no doubt Damon will start, with NVE most likely being the 1st player to spell him.

My question is, will Telfair get "meaningful" action this season - or, will he have to "pay his dues"?

Secondly, if Telfair does get in some action, how many minutes do you guys see him playing?

I guess I'd break it down like this.......

48 Total PG Minutes:

Damon -- 21 (mpg)
NVE -- 20 (a few @ SG)
Sea-Bass -- 10

OTOH, NVE may end up playing some significant minutes at the 2, providing Sabby with more PT.

Thoughts?

·
Steal of the Draft
8,043 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ABM</b>!
(Like my creative thread title? You thought it was goona be political-related, didn't you -- didn't you? :D)

Just got to thinking about our pending PG situation.

OK, no doubt Damon will start, with NVE most likely being the 1st player to spell him.

My question is, will Telfair get "meaningful" action this season - or, will he have to "pay his dues"?

Secondly, if Telfair does get in some action, how many minutes do you guys see him playing?

I guess I'd break it down like this.......

48 Total PG Minutes:

Damon -- 21 (mpg)
NVE -- 20 (a few @ SG)
Sea-Bass -- 10

OTOH, NVE may end up playing some significant minutes at the 2, providing Sabby with more PT.

Thoughts?
:laugh: Sea-Bass.

I think it really just matters when DA get injured. We all know it will happen, so if it happens at the beginning of the year, then I think Bassy will struggle, just because he needs more time. So if DA gets injured towards the All-Star Break, then I think Bassy will be better and contribute a lot.

A DA injury is the only way for Telfair too get more than 10mpg, and its the only way Cheeks will play him. Cheeks may like him, but the starting lineup, or playing young players idea, has to hit him in the head before he does it. Example, ZBo when Sheed was suspended.

BFreak.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I don't think they will throw ST to the wolves. If they feel that he can contribute or at least benefit from playing time then I see the minutes going as follows:

SG:

DA 25
NVE 18
DM 5

PG:

DS 32
NVE 6
ST 10

The biggest question I think is who will play more at SG - DA or NVE. Based on his lack of productivity, I'm not sure it's a given that DA will play more than NVE or even start over him.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Telfair might get quite a bit of playing time considering that VanExel is going to have aches and pains in his repaired knees and DA is probably going to be hurt some. Otherwise I think it depends how many blow outs the Blazers are part of. I think Cheeks will be quick to put Sebastian in whenever a game is already decided. NVE and DA both need rest and Damon will be playing long minutes this year again except for the blow outs.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Originally posted by <b>trifecta</b>!

The biggest question I think is who will play more at SG - DA or NVE. Based on his lack of productivity, I'm not sure it's a given that DA will play more than NVE or even start over him.
Really? Derek Anderson was pretty bad last year, but he was more productive than Nick was. DA was also better in 02-03, when each of them were healthier.

Anderson is 3 years younger, and so more likely to bounce back from his injury than NVE is, and he's four inches taller and much more capable of guarding other 2 guards.

I might be way off base, but I don't see NVE at the 2 being any more successful than McInnis at the 2... which was when Portland was playing its worst basketball in a long time last year.

Ed O.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Ed O</b>!

Really? Derek Anderson was pretty bad last year, but he was more productive than Nick was. DA was also better in 02-03, when each of them were healthier.

Anderson is 3 years younger, and so more likely to bounce back from his injury than NVE is, and he's four inches taller and much more capable of guarding other 2 guards.

I might be way off base, but I don't see NVE at the 2 being any more successful than McInnis at the 2... which was when Portland was playing its worst basketball in a long time last year.

Ed O.
Well, I guess if NVE is still injured, DA might give him a run for his money but otherwise I'm a bigger fan of NVE. Mainly because I consider him to be one of the best closers in the game. And I am not much of a fan of DA.

Granted I'm not a stat guy so you'll probably show me how DA has been better in every catagory over the years but I just feel like NVE is a far better offensive player and about the same on defense. That being bad.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Originally posted by <b>trifecta</b>!

Well, I guess if NVE is still injured, DA might give him a run for his money but otherwise I'm a bigger fan of NVE. Mainly because I consider him to be one of the best closers in the game. And I am not much of a fan of DA.

Granted I'm not a stat guy so you'll probably show me how DA has been better in every catagory over the years but I just feel like NVE is a far better offensive player and about the same on defense. That being bad.
Regardless of the stats Ed or someone else might pull out, NVE is one and DA is a two. Sure each can play some of each position. For that matter either could play center, perhaps even effectively if they're playing with junior high kids. How is this relevant? I'd argue that, at the NBA level, NVE plays the two only slightly better than he plays the three, four, or five. He's at at least as much disadvantage defending twos as Damon is defending ones, probably more as ones aren't nearly as use to posting up and otherwise taking advantage of their size as twos are.

Yes, Dallas ran NVE and Nash effectively for stretches. I can't recall many games that had them both starting, though. Also, Dallas didn't bother defending anyone -- they just tried to run the other team into the ground. That's been pretty effective for them over the last few years and, if Cheeks is willing to really run, then a NVE and Damon backcourt might really be great now and again. Ultimately, though, if NVE becomes a starter on this team for any length of time, if it's at any position but the point I can't imagine it going well.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Yeah, I can't see Van Exel starting at the 2 against some of these guys in the West. McGrady? Oh man.

As for Telfair, I still haven't seen him play. :( Maybe he proves himself immediately and we trade one of the other points before the trade deadline? Still, I can't see how he'll get much playing time in practices with those two guys ahead of him.

Bassy better pass a lot. :cool:

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
I'm still baffled by the DD and DD for NVE trade.

For the limited minutes and very minor supporting role NVE will fill for us, Dan Dickau would have been just as good this year and a POSSIBLE better fit in years too come. NVE will not return after this year.

And we gave up our only solid backup at both PF and C for this?

NVE is a horrible FG% shooter, a total downer in the locker room, and a me, me, me player.

I say waive him.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
the difference between NVE and Dickau is that you can hold Damon accountable for overdribbling if you have NVE on the bench.

most of last season we just lived with whatever dumb crap Damon would pull. get it in to Randolph when the mood struck him. watch mediocre PG's go off for career nights. you know, basically the same crap we've seen from him for years.

what option did we have? let Eddie Gill, Dan Dickau and Omar Cook run the team? ugh. and McInnis was too busy bungling at SG to play his natural position. basically, Damon could do whatever he wanted with impunity.

lots of people say he had a great year last year, but compared to what? without any other decent point on the team, we've had nobody to compare him to.

nearly throughout his entire time in Portland Damon has been entitled to a starting job. with the lone exception of Pippen, we've never had any other quality guy who could replace him. when Pippen took over, the contrast in effectiveness was glaring.

I don't expect NVE to pull a Pippen and completely dominate the team at PG. I do, however, expect him to lift the malaise of lowered expectations we've had at that position since Pippen broke down.

That's certainly worth the price of Dale Davis.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
theWanker you ignorant slut!

Actually, I guess I agree with you here as usual. I think historically Damon has been his happiest and loosest when he has noone around to compete with for minutes. However, the team has been worse for it more often than not.

I shudder every time I hear the Blazers referred to as "Damon's team". The Blazers should never have been handed over to a guy who defines the word "team" as "a group of guys to get me the ball, rebound my misses and give me the ball again".

On a similar note, I hope that Qyntel is ready to put pressure on DA for minutes.

I think that Anderson enjoyed the same situation as Damon last season where he had free reign to play terrible team basketball due to a lack of playable alternatives.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
If Telfair gets more than 5 minutes per game this year I will be SHOCKED! Any more time than that for Telfair and I guarantee that Cheeks will be in the unemployment line at the end of the season.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Blazer Ringbearer</b>!
theWanker you ignorant slut!
The Blazers should never have been handed over to a guy who defines the word "team" as "a group of guys to get me the ball, rebound my misses and give me the ball again".
well said.

except the part about me being ignorant.

:grinning:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts