Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think there are three major players that fit the bill for Skiles and several others who are on the charts. The first and most obvious is Kirk. The second is Duhon. But the third, who might be the biggest of all, is Tyson.

Hinrich and Duhon do yeoman work. They show up every night and while things may not always be pretty, they're busting their humps collectively for the team. Neither is all that clutch, but they are dependable. Neither can dominate their opponent, but both are capable of neutralizing their opponent. Neither possess any physical prowess which by that alone makes them a special player.

Tyson, while not quite as dependable on a night to night basis, is that special player. His size and athleticism gives him game changing capabilities. In many respects he's similar to Hinrich and Duhon - with more emotion. He's willing to do what he's told and sacrifice for the team. But its the game changing capabilties that Skiles loves. How many times have we seen Skiles and Chandler "gettin' physical" when they meet coming off the court at a timeout or end of game? I think its more than Skiles just acknowledging Tyson's that kind of guy (emotional), I think its really a sign of Skiles appreciation for Tyson's play. Skiles is a defense-first guy, and nobody comes up with bigger plays on defense than Tyson. Simply put, I think Skiles loves the guy and Chandler "ain't goin' nowhere this summer".

A lot can and has been said about Hinrich being the teachers favorite, but all that talk just might be selling our only seven footer a little short.

·
Is not afraid of shadows!
5,094 Posts
Take that a step further and look at how we've finished so many games with three small guards on the floor. What makes that possible? Having a ball-hawking shotblocker like Tyson waiting at the basket.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wynn said:
Take that a step further and look at how we've finished so many games with three small guards on the floor. What makes that possible? Having a ball-hawking shotblocker like Tyson waiting at the basket.
Thats a great point although I suspect Deng's return will reduce our use of that lineup and actually make us more effective during those times of the game where we've utilized it.

·
Is not afraid of shadows!
5,094 Posts
Mr. T said:
Thats a great point although I suspect Deng's return will reduce our use of that lineup and actually make us more effective during those times of the game where we've utilized it.
I agree. The point was that having a kid like Tyson in there allows you to experiment a little as long as you know you have an eraser in the paint. Earlier in the year we saw a finishing line-up of Kirk, Ben, Luol, Andres, and Tyson on the floor. Again Tyson's length and ballhawking allowed the use of an undersized Nocioni at the PF position.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts