Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Man, the whole point of this thread was that it will most likely be more difficult to achieve team chemistry with the increase in roster numbers...and that is for every sport. More numbers means less playing time for a vast number of men and women, most of whom probably anticipated an increased role on their team. I guess I made a mistake for painting a specific scenario because now that seems to have become the focus. There are several different scenarios but whatever, no biggie.

Reactions: VT Cats Fan

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Why so salty today, catpower?

Tell me how many of those 900 kids want to transfer because they will have to wait one more year to be "the guy". That will impress me. Transfers have been increasing dramatically for years...yawn...
Ha. I'm sure lots! I don't understand your fixation on "the guy" -- it doesn't have to be "the guy" it could be "a guy who gets to play" or "a guy who thought their role would be bigger as a junior but now there's two transfers PLUS all the guys who were previously in front of them." These players do come to play basketball, so I imagine not being able to get on the court to do that for another year might be difficult for some, and they may want to explore their options now, or decide to mid-season, or simply express that frustration in a way that impacts team relationships.

Look, we don't know what the players are thinking. They may be thinking like you, but they just as easily might not. I don't think it's too hard to understand that with the ability of teams to keep would-be graduating players in normal circumstances and adding more to it that some people, even on teams like UVM might look at the situation and not like what they see, or become frustrated with it, thus impacting chemistry on teams. The coaches are going to have to be able to manage this effectively, and possibly moreso than in previous years.

If you want to go along thinking UVM is beyond issues like this, by all means. I'd simply caution against that line of thinking, I don't believe anything is outside the realm of possibility, and again, it's a total valid question to ask going into this off-season and next year.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If a player is negatively affected by competition either by an uperclassman or new recruit it wouldn't be the type of teammate I would want or want to coach.
No one should have or feel like he/her should have it's my turn type attitude. Earn it.
If it bothers the player stop playing or transfer.
Coaches don't promise players anything but a chance to compete for minutes when they recruit them.

Maybe we should give the players the benefit of the doubt that they are more intelligent then some want to admit. Players want to EARN minutes.

·
Premium Member
33,619 Posts
1) Team chemistry is something every team needs to work on every single year, no matter what the circumstances. I’m not sure what makes next year so unique relative to other years. The toughest year for UVM in semi-recent memory was the massive freshmen class of Ernie Duncan/Trae Bell-Haynes/Cam Ward/Brandon Hatton/Zach McRoberts/Drew Urquhart. A couple of those kids left school as all-time greats, a couple were solid role players, and a couple decided it wasn’t for them.

2) Stef Smith is grad transferring, so that’s unlocking 30mpg in the backcourt for next year.

3) The announcement has been made, completely transparent. All seniors back ex-Smith and adding Guillory & Alamutu and maybe more. Everyone can now go into next season with eyes wide-open and if anyone doesn’t like it, I expect we’ll see them in the portal then.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
"I'm not sure what makes next year so unique relative to other years." Well, therein lies the issue.

And my mistake. I clearly must have said "Vermont men's basketball will have chemistry issues." I will go back and correct that.

Reactions: VT Cats Fan

·
Premium Member
33,619 Posts
It’s going to be incredibly challenging to manage playing time for 15 kids- especially when some were scheduled to graduate, but are now coming back!? How will these experienced, well-compensated head coaches that do handle such things on a yearly basis, figure it all out?

Better?

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
It’s going to be incredibly challenging to manage playing time for 15 kids- especially when some were scheduled to graduate, but are now coming back!? How will these experienced, well-compensated head coaches that do handle such things on a yearly basis, figure it all out?

Better?
Much. I especially like the "well-compensated" piece. That makes all the difference.

:rolleyes:

Reactions: UVM Hoop Cat

·
Registered
205 Posts
This is a general comment, not a Vermont-specific one, but I think if schools are allowed to have a "normal" offseason, I wouldn't be too concerned about chemistry due to the transferring/larger rosters. Now, if that's missing again, all bets are off.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I didn't want to derail the Vermont team thread for next year, but one thing I read in there was the number of guys that were going to use the "extra" year the NCAA has granted everyone due to covid. I am very curious to see this all play out at programs all across the country. I mean, pretty much all rosters have been created assuming guys are going to graduate, leave, turn pro, etc. but suddenly you are going to have all these older guys sticking around. Younger guys have been assuming they will be able to step right in when Johnny graduates but all of a sudden Johnny is still gonna be here as others are becoming sophomores, juniors or seniors.

I have a feeling that many coaches are going to find it fairly difficult to keep people happy and thus team chemistry could really play a factor next year. I wonder if mid-year transfers will be in full force next season.
This thread really went off somewhere, didn't it. Anyway, I think the NCAA did the right thing with this extra year of eligibility, but like all rules there are unintended consequences. The obvious one is the effect it has on HS senior/JUCO sophomores looking for scholarships. But there is definitely a trickledown effect on rosters as well. Yeah, some kids may find themselves behind guys they didn't expect, so they transfer...and now they're playing ahead of kids who didn't expect to see a transfer come in, so they transfer.

I'm curious how many coaches (especially at the mid-major level and lower) choose to retain Super Seniors if it takes them over their desired roster size. I know Vermont is currently carrying 14 scholarship guys...we'll see if it stays that way. You think about how many "extra" guys most teams carry anyway, it'll be interesting to see if some coaches are just willing to move on if they think they have the right roster construction already going forward.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
So many kids transfer these days that the entirety of each roster essentially has to introduce themselves to all of their teammates each year already. Look at the verbal commits page for any team. Half the names are gray meaning they have left school. I look at Maine's and I don't know who some of the players even were. Granted, Maine has always been an extreme case, but it will be fine. UVM will figure it out. Winning games cures all ills, and UVM will be the most talented team in the league.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
So many kids transfer these days that the entirety of each roster essentially has to introduce themselves to all of their teammates each year already. Look at the verbal commits page for any team. Half the names are gray meaning they have left school. I look at Maine's and I don't know who some of the players even were. Granted, Maine has always been an extreme case, but it will be fine. UVM will figure it out. Winning games cures all ills, and UVM will be the most talented team in the league.
Well, as long as you're talking to participants on this message board...

For what it's worth, I don't really see how UVM is much better next season, after losing Steph Smith and adding 2 true Freshman. Having more practice time, and an uninterrupted season will help, but UVM wasn't the best team this season.

·
Premium Member
33,619 Posts

For what it's worth, I don't really see how UVM is much better next season, after losing Steph Smith and adding 2 true Freshman. Having more practice time, and an uninterrupted season will help, but UVM wasn't the best team this season.
We return the POY and having players like Shungu/Mazzula/and to maybe a lesser extent Patella back is pretty huge. I'm also obviously biased, but I do think we'd have been a better team on a full-season and not the 1/2 season, pause/start, COVID version we all got.

Someone should create a thread that tracks the graduates that are returning to school. I know a few different schools that are in flux, but we seem to be "winning" that trade thus far.

Albany has literally lost its entire team (not that it was a good one, regardless, so could be better next year). Noel is graduating from UMass-Lowell, Hartford is losing Traci Carter. On paper right now, UMBC might lose its coach now (?), UVM is returning the most back with UMBC a close second, but if Odom departs that calculus completely changes.

Reactions: benchwarmer

·
Premium Member
33,619 Posts
Actually, I realized I have no idea- is Noel leaving UML or coming back with the extra year?

·
The People's Champ
867 Posts
Unless another shoe drops, a lot of minutes avail now with Carter not returning for the Hawks. But honestly I feel Henry, Flowers and freshman Henderson should fill those minutes nicely. Sure they lose some crazy defense Carter, but return scoring, and Henry/Flowers are athletic defenders themselves

·
The People's Champ
867 Posts
At 15 or so games in, when Hartford played UVM, thats the most UVM has played together, practiced together, formed the biggest bond as a team up to that point in the season. Sure they didnt have a ‘preseason/non conference’ but 15 games in, you know what you have as a team. I still think Hartford even losing Carter, on paper, is still a better team than UVM and are the front runners for next year. Sure UVM returns POY, but, Hartford bottled him up from ‘taking over’ the game. Next year should be fun and obviously im a little biased, but I like the little rivalry created in the top 3 right now which is currently UVM UMBC UH (no particular order). They make for some really hard, ‘grind it out’ games. And its great for the league too!

·
Registered
205 Posts
At 15 or so games in, when Hartford played UVM, thats the most UVM has played together, practiced together, formed the biggest bond as a team up to that point in the season. Sure they didnt have a ‘preseason/non conference’ but 15 games in, you know what you have as a team. I still think Hartford even losing Carter, on paper, is still a better team than UVM and are the front runners for next year. Sure UVM returns POY, but, Hartford bottled him up from ‘taking over’ the game. Next year should be fun and obviously im a little biased, but I like the little rivalry created in the top 3 right now which is currently UVM UMBC UH (no particular order). They make for some really hard, ‘grind it out’ games. And its great for the league too!
Bias, but I agree. He obviously doesn't provide the defense Carter brought, but a healthy Flowers fills a lot of the void left by his departure.

·
Premium Member
33,619 Posts
The only "chemistry issues" there might be next year is when players are enrolled in Organic Chemistry and they might need some extra tutoring on the exams!!!

Hey-Oh!!!!!!!, that's what we call a (bunsen) Burn-er!

·
Realist/A-hole
6,095 Posts

Agreed. ATM on paper I think they are actually quite a bit worse, unless one of the freshmen proves themselves capable 3 pt shooters from the college line. Not guaranteed clearly given Deloney's struggles.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts