Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Updated: 12th August, 2002 8:40 AM EST

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Team USA makes a run at Jordan
Added: 12th August, 2002

Sam Smith of the Chicago Tribune reports that the USA Basketball Committee is trying to coax Michael Jordan to play in the World Basketball Championships.

With the top NBA stars like Shaquille O'Neal, Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan, Vince Carter, Tracy McGrady, Allen Iverson and Kevin Garnett not participating, this could be the first time a U.S. professional team loses in international competition. And with the games in Indianapolis in the off-season, it is expected to be difficult for sponsors to sell tickets.

That is why USA Basketball officials, according to committee sources, have approached Jordan privately about joining the team, which begins training Friday in San Francisco.

Committee insiders say that the chances are slim that Jordan would participate, but their thinking is that if he doesn’t come back to play with the Wizards this season, the WBC would be an appropriate stage to set up a possible Jordan farewell at the 2004 Olympics in Greece. That would provide Jordan a perfect bookend to his professional basketball career, which began in 1984 when he starred on the U.S. Olympic team.

And even if Jordan decides to return to the Wizards, joining the U.S. team would give him an opportunity to begin getting in shape for the NBA season.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Wow, if the USA team managed to land Jordan, that would be amazing. It would be very interesting to see if he is still capable of being a leader among a group of NBA stars.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
After reading @ Espn that the reason many players are getting out of the Championships is do to wear an tear on the body, why would it make sence for Jordan to play? If Jordan is going to play for the Wizards he is going to need to be healthy and rested.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
i dont think mj will play. After all his knees are gimpy. Or were gimpy. I would think he would save himself for regular season. But knowing MJ he suprises people sometimes.

BCH, LSF...what do you guys think?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could be a perfect way for Jordan to end his career by winning the world championships, but then again we thought "The Shot" was the perfect way to go out as well. This could be a telling point on weather he will play this coming season or not. It will be interesting to see what he does.
I just hope that if he plays, that he stays healthy for the entire season.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Originally posted by <b>truebluefan</b>!
i dont think mj will play. After all his knees are gimpy. Or were gimpy. I would think he would save himself for regular season. But knowing MJ he suprises people sometimes.

BCH, LSF...what do you guys think?
No chance MJ is going to play. He gets ready for the season on his own terms and he is not going to make it a public display. It is all or nothing for the Wizards. Team USA should look at Rip if they need a SG.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Or better yet....

Originally posted by <b>BCH</b>!

No chance MJ is going to play. He gets ready for the season on his own terms and he is not going to make it a public display. It is all or nothing for the Wizards. Team USA should look at Rip if they need a SG.
......maybe if they picked A.I., it would keep him outta trouble, eh? LOL:laugh:

·
I never slice.
2,282 Posts
If Jordan has already decided that he is not going to play for the Wizards this season, then I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that he plays with the USA team as a sort of farewell. Not unlike Magic Johnson did by playing in that last All-Star game.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts

thats what i think

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Did somebody say Magic?

All right so I am dreaming here but since we're just talking about the World Championships and not the Olympics,
Invite Magic Johnson. Let him play. Just one more time would I love to see Magic dish to other superstar players.

Although the Bulls are my favorite team, Magic has always been my favorite player. In a short tournament the team could carry an older Magic Johnson or is it the other way around?

Okay now that I am done day dreaming.

Play Jay Williams!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Another snippet of the latest Sam Smith Article

The Bulls' No. 1 draft pick, Jay Williams, is an alternate for the team. If USA Basketball cannot find a suitable replacement for Allen, Williams could be added to the roster.

If Jordan or another player is selected, Williams still will practice with the team until the tournament begins Aug. 29. The U.S. opens against Algeria that night.

OK, so my question is who does Jay-Will have to assasinate in order to get a shot at playing? :D

·
Registered
200 Posts
Man, I hate to say it, but I think this year will be the year the professionals lose their first game ever. Actually, I think the team will lose probably 2 games. The team they put together this year is way below average and the foreigners know that this will be their best opportunity to do what others thought wouldn't be done in any of our lifetimes.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts

It is all or nothing for the Wizards.
So what do you expect from the Wiz this season BCH? Playoffs, second round?

Unable to tell because too much is riding on rookies?

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Originally posted by <b>gettinbranded</b>!

So what do you expect from the Wiz this season BCH? Playoffs, second round?

Unable to tell because too much is riding on rookies?
Please try not to stray from the topic. The Wizards board is there if you want to talk about the Wizards next season.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
We are talking about Jordan, aren't we?

Please try not to stray from the topic. The Wizards board is there if you want to talk about the Wizards next season.
BCH, In any event, I think the BASKEBALL in general has gone to the well, one too many times. Jordan is NOT, I repeat, NOT the player he used to be nor is he the answer. Not for the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS or THE WIZARDS or any other Basketball team!!! Why not? he is older..just like the rest of us. He has about shot his load, sorta speaking.

as far as the world competitition; let the NBA show the world what the NBA has become...a bunch of spoiled, overpaid, all party and no work ethics, let me be the main man selfish minded millionaires.

Jordan cannot pick up the NBA's reputation any longer......Maybe Jay Williams can.

OH, and BCH, for what it is worth, I think it was all or nothing for the wizards, LAST season, just my opinion.

Gettinbranded......LOL

·
Registered
510 Posts
Re: We are talking about Jordan, aren't we?

Originally posted by <b>BamaBull</b>!

as far as the world competitition; let the NBA show the world what the NBA has become...a bunch of spoiled, overpaid, all party and no work ethics, let me be the main man selfish minded millionaires.

Jordan cannot pick up the NBA's reputation any longer......Maybe Jay Williams can.

4 stars.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Re: We are talking about Jordan, aren't we?

Originally posted by <b>BamaBull</b>!

BCH, In any event, I think the BASKEBALL in general has gone to the well, one too many times. Jordan is NOT, I repeat, NOT the player he used to be nor is he the answer. Not for the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS or THE WIZARDS or any other Basketball team!!! Why not? he is older..just like the rest of us. He has about shot his load, sorta speaking.

OH, and BCH, for what it is worth, I think it was all or nothing for the wizards, LAST season, just my opinion.

Gettinbranded......LOL
BCH, as you have stated yourself, lets stick to the thread topic please? Thanks.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Originally posted by <b>higginj44</b>!
Another snippet of the latest Sam Smith Article

The Bulls' No. 1 draft pick, Jay Williams, is an alternate for the team. If USA Basketball cannot find a suitable replacement for Allen, Williams could be added to the roster.

If Jordan or another player is selected, Williams still will practice with the team until the tournament begins Aug. 29. The U.S. opens against Algeria that night.

OK, so my question is who does Jay-Will have to assasinate in order to get a shot at playing? :D
From what I've heard Williams won't have to bump anybody off. Word is he'll be named Ray Allen's replacement shortly.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
A couple points:

* I think anyone who expects the NBA pros to loose in international competition is needs to think again. That roster has some of the best and brightest in the league.

C - Antonio Davis, Ben Wallace, Raef LaFrentz
PF- Elton Brand, Jermaine O'Neil
SF- Paul Pierce, Shawn Marion
SG- Reggie Miller, Michael Finley
PG- Baron Davis, Andre Miller

and MJ, JWill, or Ray Allen.

Those guys are going to beat some serious ***. Really. Baron Davis, Brand, Pierce, Wallace, and Reggie Miller? That's a sick starting five.

* Further, I take issue with the idea that these guys reflect the fact that NBA players are lazy. If you look at the guys who aren't on the team, lots of them are battling injuries (Shaq, Kidd, Vince Carter, TMac). If you look at the guys who are on the team, they're guys I'm more than happy to root for. Aside from maybe LaFrentz, I don't see any of those guys as being marginal at all.

* I don't see why MJ would play if he's going to play for the Wiz. At his age, it just seems like too much of an injury risk.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts