Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stuck in traffic, I was flipping through the channels and came across a Blazer pregame show where they were interviewing somebody named, David Locke, who is apparently tied to the Sonics. He made some interesting, maybe controversial, comments about Telfair and his lack of skillset. He thinks his only questionable asset is his quickness, which he doesn't know to use effectively at this point in his young career. Since he plays at one speed, he's apparently not very difficult to guard. The "not difficult to guard" bit comes directly from Seattle players, and they additionally said his quickness is no more special or different from most young players. He says he's the equivalent to Earl Watson and doubts he would be so highly regarded if he didn't come out of the New York system.

He went on the praise some of Seattle's own young talent and marked the contrast between our two young team's cores. I don't know anything about him, but he didnt say anything to dispell the Seattle whisperings that Chris Wilcox may be a new incarnation of a young Shawn Kemp, so there might be some homerism involved and it makes his remarks on Telfair a little more dubious. In any case, I thought the Seattle player's comment was interesting, because I don't see it. He seems to be able to get by just about anyone. He has a problems making something happen once he enters the paint, but the fact he gets there should earn him some sort of distinction. Especially in an era where penetration is becoming a lost art in the NBA.

· Banned member
28,451 Posts
bbAlvin said:
He went on the praise some of Seattle's own young talent and marked the contrast between our two young team's cores. I don't know anything about him, but he didnt say anything to dispell the Seattle whisperings that Chris Wilcox may be a new incarnation of a young Shawn Kemp, so there might be some homerism involved and it makes his remarks on Telfair a little more dubious. In any case, I thought the Seattle player's comment was interesting, because I don't see it. He seems to be able to get by just about anyone. He has a problems making something happen once he enters the paint, but the fact he gets there should earn him some sort of distinction. Especially in an era where penetration is becoming a lost art in the NBA.

SOME homerism involved??

· Registered
16,001 Posts
David Locke is the most impressive and knowledgable NBA commentator I've ever heard on a regular basis on sports radio. He's embraced qualitative analysis and he consistently brings up new ways to look at the game.

That doesn't mean that he's without bias nor does it mean he's always right.

But he's good, and he's been very close to the team, and if he reported that Sonics players told him they find Telfair easy to guard, I think that they probably told him that.

Ed O.

· Banned member
28,451 Posts
Ed O said:
David Locke is the most impressive and knowledgable NBA commentator I've ever heard on a regular basis on sports radio. He's embraced qualitative analysis and he consistently brings up new ways to look at the game.

That doesn't mean that he's without bias nor does it mean he's always right.

But he's good, and he's been very close to the team, and if he reported that Sonics players told him they find Telfair easy to guard, I think that they probably told him that.

Ed O.
I remember sometime last year, maybe it was ruben maybe it was damon, one of the players said that another team basically said the team (under cheeks) was super easy to defend. They did 4 things, and 4 things only. Pass the ball to Zach, have Damon shoot, pass the ball to Zach, and pass the ball to Zach.

· Registered
1,401 Posts
I am a Sonics fan, I think some on this blazers board know that already. but I DON'T agree with Locke here, Telfair is a good player and I truly believe he could become something great, future all-star. It's still a wonder why we didn't pick them, even though we did get Swift, Telfair would have been nice. But that's history, can't change it. Telfair is the best thing going for the whole Portland team, I also believe that.

Reactions: mgb

· Registered
1,799 Posts
I follow David Locke (he does Sonic pre/post game, & is on weekdays from 7-10 on 950 kjr.) he's all about the numbers & statistics. He's pretty accurate a lot of times, but he's been wrong many times as well---I find him interesting to listen to though.

For the most part I agree with him, but the guy is a Sonic HOMER. He has some connections to the team, & of course is bias with them. He made these comments after the 39 beatdown Sunday on postgame.

He also thinks Swift is going to be an all-star ( :rolleyes:, I disagree), and he is high on pretty much every Sonic player. Personally, it's hard for me to judge Sebastien this particular game because of the total lack of defensive intensity throughout the game, but I don't think Telfair is Watson. I like Earl & would prefer him starting at this point over Luke, but Telfair has never had consistent PT. Earl is a career backup. 2 years from now I'll judge Telfair. Is he a winner, or just a guy that puts up good numbers on a bad team?

· Steal of the Draft
8,008 Posts
myELFboy said:
That's why I'm giving Telfair 2, maybe 3 years before I determine if he is the "next..."---I am not going to judge on his individual play, but how he helps the team win. Some people call Luke "the next Steve Nash" but Luke will never be as good as Nash, & those comparisons are really bad.
I think Ridnour would be a fine PG on a team more like the Spurs, more slow down fundamental type basketball. Watson just seemed like a better fit.

I don't really know who to compare Telfair to, I've heard Tiny Archibald, Isiah, but I'm to young to know how those guys played. Now that Telfair has really adjusting and is back to finishing well, he's got a whole lotta tools to use. I'm excited to see him next year.

· Registered
1,799 Posts
What's funny about your comments is that every time the Supes are on...say, ESPN...the commentators ALWAYS say he is best in a fast, high tempo offense. But last year, when the Sonics were more of a halfcourt, pick & roll team, he was very successful--thus confirming to me that those commentators rarely watch Sonic games :). Luke tends to overdribble & act clueless in halfcourt this year though. Earl can "run & gun" as well as run a halfcourt offense (esp. in close game situations), better than Luke, & Earl is only one year older than Luke.

This year, in a more unstructured "run & gun" team (particularly under Weiss) he was HORRIBLE....a key to why the Sonics were so bad at the beginning. Just like I don't see Swifty becoming an all-star, I just DON'T see Luke being an all-star either. A nice role player that plays 30-35 minutes a game maybe, but never a 40+ minute stud.

· Steal of the Draft
8,008 Posts
myELFboy said:
What's funny about your comments is that every time the Supes are on...say, ESPN...the commentators ALWAYS say he is best in a fast, high tempo offense. But last year, when the Sonics were more of a halfcourt, pick & roll team, he was very successful--thus confirming to me that those commentators rarely watch Sonic games :). Luke tends to overdribble & act clueless in halfcourt this year though. Earl can "run & gun" as well as run a halfcourt offense (esp. in close game situations), better than Luke, & Earl is only one year older than Luke.

This year, in a more unstructured "run & gun" team (particularly under Weiss) he was HORRIBLE....a key to why the Sonics were so bad at the beginning. Just like I don't see Swifty becoming an all-star, I just DON'T see Luke being an all-star either. A nice role player that plays 30-35 minutes a game maybe, but never a 40+ minute stud.
Exactly. He just doesn't seem like he can control a team in the fastbreak very well to me. If I were the Sonics, I might look to the draft for a PG this year, because next year looks to be very post heavy, with a lot of good Frosh's coming out.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
myELFboy said:
He also thinks Swift is going to be an all-star ( :rolleyes:, I disagree), and he is high on pretty much every Sonic player. Personally, it's hard for me to judge Sebastien this particular game because of the total lack of defensive intensity throughout the game, but I don't think Telfair is Watson. I like Earl & would prefer him starting at this point over Luke, but Telfair has never had consistent PT. Earl is a career backup. 2 years from now I'll judge Telfair. Is he a winner, or just a guy that puts up good numbers on a bad team?
I didn't include his comments about Swift and Petro, but he said each could potentially be a top 4 power forward/center in their conference, with Swift being a top 4 center in the entire league. I havent seen enough of either player to make a judgment, but Swift looks pretty solid to me for a second year player out of high school. Not only good size, but good coordination as well. Wilcox played well tonight as well, although I saw nothing in his athleticism that reminded me of a young Shawn Kemp. Good athlete though, probably great next to ZBo. I just thought his implication that Seattle's young core(Swift, Wilcox, Petro) is superior to Portland's(Telfair, Jack, Martell, Victor) was interesting in that Seattle's were later picks(Wilcox withstanding) and that it's a sample of bigs versus smalls. For the size reason alone, I would probably prefer Seattle's group.

· Registered
481 Posts
It is unfair to make those comparison's about Bassy after the previous game against Seattle.
Wasn't Nate saying Telfair wasn't even going to play and he finally put him in because he couldn't get anything out of Blake and Jack?

Telfair showed tonight that he can most definately defend and blow by both Watson and Ridenour.
Bass still has two years before he is the same age as when Jack and Chris Paul entered the league, so in comparison he is progressing just fine.

I think Ridenour really benefited from Nate's system and now he is kindof lost. He is still a decent player, but at his size I can't see him becoming an All-Star. Maybe if he learns some cheap tricks and has a star post player to grow with he can have an effective career similar to Stockton's situation. Granted he still doesn't compare to Stockton though.

· Registered
10,411 Posts
I think Wilcox, Watson and Wilkes were all great deadline pickups by the Supes...

I wish our GM was easy to pull the trigger like Sund is, or atleast had some decent parts that other teams were interested in...

I'm going to be majorly disappointed if this offseason passes by and all we have is a new draft pick and a couple of washed up veterans on the downhill of their careers...

C'mon Nash!

· Registered
1,799 Posts
I tend to underrate players....some fans overrate, I tend to underrate. I guess it's the "glass is half empty" approach to sports, lol. Swift COULD be a top center, but I don't like saying things like he is going to be an all-star and all that. He has exceeded the expectations I originally had, considering he never played last year & most thought he was a bust, but I'm not enamored with him like Locke or some fans are.

^^^ & about the trades, I was actually surprised Sund could pull them off as well. I thought the Watson rumors were all garbage, & that he would end up in Cleveland or somewhere else in the east.

I didn't think Reggie or Flip or Vitaly would be of any value to Denver....apparently Reggie is.

& the Vlady trade blew me away as well, since he had said he wouldn't approve any trade because he'd lose his bird rights. It was a glorious day when I heard on KJR the breaking news that he was traded....seriously, I was (& still am) ecstatic to get rid of Vladi for a real PF.

The advantage I think Seattle had/has over Portland is that the Supes had either a small contract (Vitaly) or one year deals. For playoff bound teams that needed that one piece to help them later on, the Sonics had them: Clippers needed 3 pt shooting, Denver need frontcourt help for cheap because of injuries, & Cleveland needed a SG to compliment LeBron until Hughes comes back. Trading for Miles or Randolph is a longterm, salary cap eating commitment and some teams are more hesitant to do those deals (though I'm sure NY is not among them).

· Registered
1,401 Posts
bbAlvin said:
Good athlete though, probably great next to ZBo.
What? ZBo is more athletic than Wilcox? :laugh: I hope that's not what you meant.

· Excentrifugal Forz
6,987 Posts
tha supes said:
What? ZBo is more athletic than Wilcox? :laugh: I hope that's not what you meant.
I think he's saying next to ZBo Wilcox is a great athlete.

· mere fan
6,556 Posts
bbAlvin said:
I just thought his implication that Seattle's young core(Swift, Wilcox, Petro) is superior to Portland's(Telfair, Jack, Martell, Victor) was interesting in that Seattle's were later picks(Wilcox withstanding)
... Swift withstanding as well, he was drafted two spots ahead of Telfair in the 2004 draft. He's looked pretty impressive to me.

STOMP

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.