Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When asked about the 3 point guards on the Blazers, Telfair said:

“For sure, one of us has to go . . . I hope it’s not me. This is the best team in the league for me.”
http://www.portlandtribune.com/archview.cgi?id=34739

I post this because I know several on this board believe that Telfair is a bad fit for McMillan's system. Yet Telfair himself obviously thinks otherwise.

Talk amongst yourselves . . .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,812 Posts
Nice to hear but it doesn't really matter what Telfair himself thinks...Pritchard, Nash, Patterson, Nate would be the ones making this decision I assume. Hopefully without any input from Paul Allen or the idiots at Vulcan Inc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,222 Posts
Blazer Freak said:
Last time I heard Al Jefferson hasn't set the league on fire.

Has he made a game winning shot too? If were going to attack players for little things how about AJ's clutchness? Why the lowblows on Telfair in every thread?

When trying to land a blow on Telfair it is a necessity to aim low.

Jefferson is injured.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,509 Posts
tlong said:
When trying to land a blow on Telfair it is a necessity to aim low.

Jefferson is injured.
zzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,001 Posts
I'm glad that Telfair wants to stay with Portland and have success as a Blazer. Hopefully he can continue to improve and hopefully we can give him teammates that make success possible.

Ed O.
 

·
mere fan
Joined
·
6,556 Posts
Blazer Freak said:
In that case Telfair was a better pick. He isn't a ***** like AJ and sits out when he gets hurt, he plays through it.
I could have sworn that ST sat out a bunch of games earlier this season with an injury...

regardless, Sebastian gave a very smart answer to the loaded 3 PGs question, but improved play is what will most benefit his chances of staying put in Portland IMO.

STOMP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,548 Posts
Ed O said:
I'm glad that Telfair wants to stay with Portland and have success as a Blazer. Hopefully he can continue to improve and hopefully we can give him teammates that make success possible.

Ed O.
Ed O beat me to the punch with my same thoughts.

If Telfair was giving the p.c. answer or if he feels 100% what he said, either way, it's a good thing.

This franchise is in such a ****ed up state that it is a minor miracle that anybody wants to be here right now, and we should revel in those that do (unless they suck completely).

Since none have stood out yet, since Blake is the oldest, since Blake has the least upside potential, since Blake has only one more year under contact and no bird rights, I would be surprised if the Blazers moved anyone other than Blake.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,390 Posts
Agree with Ed and Masbee... great answer from Telfair. I was beginning to think that he didn't want to be here because of the lack of consistency in our rotation and him not starting despite being our future guy at the 1 (most likely). I really hope that he means it and it wasn't just the right thing to say.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,222 Posts
What the heck is "upside potential" anyway? Is this a measurable quality? I think it is a phrase that is thrown around way too much. Blake is taller than Telfair and is a better shooter. Why would his upside be lower than Telfair's?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,548 Posts
tlong said:
What the heck is "upside potential" anyway? Is this a measurable quality? I think it is a phrase that is thrown around way too much. Blake is taller than Telfair and is a better shooter. Why would his upside be lower than Telfair's?
Age alone gives you a lot of the info you need. Most likely Blake is as good as he will ever be. AT BEST he has a couple more years of growth in him, so we may be seeing 90% of the best of Blake. Jack and Tellfair are much younger.

As for it being a "measurable quality". Of course it isn't. You know it. And you are just being a smartass to bring it up. You are right, though, it is thrown around too much. So what? Do you think I abuse the phrase?

Forget I said it. Blake is not under contract after next season. We don't hold his bird rights.

END OF STORY.

Last year I said TRADE JOEL. We don't have it bird rights. We are taking too big a gamble of ending up with nothing to show for it. Same with Blake.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,207 Posts
Upside potential also has to due with physical tools. Telfair has blazing fast speed, probably as fast or faster then anybody in the league. He is the only guy on the team and only guy I have seen this year, that can stay in front of Tony Parker. If he can learn to harness that speed and play in control at that speed, that is upside potential. Steve Blake will never have that because he is slower, has a frail frame, and the inability to finish in traffic. Telfair on the other hand is fast, strong (the dude is flat out ripped) and has the ability to finish in traffic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,222 Posts
Masbee said:
Age alone gives you a lot of the info you need. Most likely Blake is as good as he will ever be. AT BEST he has a couple more years of growth in him, so we may be seeing 90% of the best of Blake. Jack and Tellfair are much younger.

As for it being a "measurable quality". Of course it isn't. You know it. And you are just being a smartass to bring it up. You are right, though, it is thrown around too much. So what? Do you think I abuse the phrase?

Forget I said it. Blake is not under contract after next season. We don't hold his bird rights.

END OF STORY.

Last year I said TRADE JOEL. We don't have it bird rights. We are taking too big a gamble of ending up with nothing to show for it. Same with Blake.
You're right. I was just being a smartass.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,222 Posts
hasoos said:
Upside potential also has to due with physical tools. Telfair has blazing fast speed, probably as fast or faster then anybody in the league. He is the only guy on the team and only guy I have seen this year, that can stay in front of Tony Parker. If he can learn to harness that speed and play in control at that speed, that is upside potential. Steve Blake will never have that because he is slower, has a frail frame, and the inability to finish in traffic. Telfair on the other hand is fast, strong (the dude is flat out ripped) and has the ability to finish in traffic.
I disagree about the finishing part. Telfair is poor at finishing at the rim in my opinion.
 

·
A deserving All-Star
Joined
·
2,252 Posts
I keep telling you guys this kid has guts and heart. He is not even CLOSE to being as " gutless" as Stephon. This kid will be the face of the blazers OR ANY TEAM HE'S ON for years. He is what made the Blazers be my 2nd favorite team outside the Knicks.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top