Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was very dissapointed in his game tonight after his greta game vs teh knicks. I dont care as much if we lose but wanna see bassy progress. Tonight he seemed lost. Jack outplayed him.

Do you guys agree? Just didnt like his play tonight at all.

Loved the win though.....GO BLAZERS

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
He had a rough night from the field, but beyond that, he did well tonight. He kept up with Damon on defense.

If just one or two of those missed lay-ups goes the other way, we're not even having this conversation. It was just a rough night for him; it's not like he's been wildly inconsistent the whole year. He'll bounce back.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Yeah, Telfair was a little flat after his big performance against the Knicks. Fortunately other players stepped up. I expect Telfair to bounce back, though.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
It's unfortunate he had one of his lesser games against Damon. Damn.
Yes, but Telfair still looked better to me!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
mixum said:
I was very dissapointed in his game tonight after his greta game vs teh knicks. I dont care as much if we lose but wanna see bassy progress. Tonight he seemed lost. Jack outplayed him.

I agreed with you until you said Jack outplayed him. Neither outplayed the other tonight. Both never really seemed that involved, their stats were pretty similar as well. Telfair had two dumb turnovers but other than that I wasn't upset with anything he did, I just wasn't impressed either. Missed layins I can handle, so long as he doesn't keep doing that. At least he was trying to go inside, something Zach should try.

·
Retired From The Beat
2,454 Posts
Thus is the life of a 20 year old point guard. I think we can expect quite a bit of this from Bass over the course of the season. Big highs and equally big lows. It just happens. Hopefully he will learn from each low and continue to get better.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Meh comparing to the Knicks game no.He was trying to put some style on his game for his home state and his cousin.Im not mad or happy at his game he did some nice moves lot's of great passes to help the team out.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Well at least we'll know we won't be seeing any posts saying he's a ball hog who looked for his own stats over the team winning tonight......

What I liked was that he managed to contribute even though he wasn't scoring. Six assists ain' bad....it ain bad at all.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
It's a process, I would be disappointed if Telfair was at his peak already. While I am not in the crowd that thinks this squad is going to make the playoffs, I want to point out that this team is only going to get better. If only Portland could play New York every night, Telfair would be an All Star!!!!

I think that there are going to be some good games played by Telfair in the future and some not so great games. Again, it's a process and these are things that Nate will work on with the team to get some consistant play out of these players. Telfair is going to be fine as he works through the process. Did I mention that this is a process and it does just happen like switching on a light switch? :D

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
One interesting thing.

Against NY, Telfair played well. 27 pts and 6 assists and what not...he slightly outplayed Marbury. What happens? People complained about his defense. Okay...flash forward to tonight, he plays poorly, but he slightly outplays Stoudamire. What happens? People complain about his offense. No credit given to Telfair either way. Why?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
mixum said:

up until now i wasn't convinced...
but i'm really quite sure you are J. Canzano's "board Ego"
you go John...

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Fork said:
One interesting thing.

Against NY, Telfair played well. 27 pts and 6 assists and what not...he slightly outplayed Marbury. What happens? People complained about his defense. Okay...flash forward to tonight, he plays poorly, but he slightly outplays Stoudamire. What happens? People complain about his offense. No credit given to Telfair either way. Why?
Some individuals just gotta have somethin' to ***** about.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Im happy with his performance i don't see why people ***** about his offense after the big 27 point game.Im glad he had more assists then points.He showed me he can play defense and is a pretty good team player.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
DrewFix said:
up until now i wasn't convinced...
but i'm really quite sure you are J. Canzano's "board Ego"
you go John...
I disagree -- Canzano much more regularly has positive things to say about both Telfair and the team. Wasn't it just last week when Canzano was predicting the playoffs this year for this team? I can't recall anything even remotely like that coming from Mixum in awhile.

That said, I'm not intending to pile on Mixum -- he's repetitive but I'm not sure he's wrong and I'm fine enough with different opinions. I just think that Canzano's closer to being a "half-full" personality than Mixum. :)

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Never thought I'd say this......

Damon shut down Sebastian.

The good news: Sabby will rebound and improve. Sorry Damon, can't say the same for you.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
mixum said:
I was very dissapointed in his game tonight after his greta game vs teh knicks. I dont care as much if we lose but wanna see bassy progress.
What is it that you expect, then? Do you expect that he'll score more in each successive game? That his shooting percentage will increase each and every game? That his assist numbers will be better each and every game? Will that satisfy your requirements for "progress"?

Telfair is playing better than he was 365 days ago. I call that "progress".

If you use a game-by-game basis to make any determination of "progress", you're going to be exasperated within a month. Basketball players - especially young players like Telfair - are going to have great nights, average nights and bad nights. That's reality.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
I thought Telfair played fine, and was getting players involved on the offensive end. This game was all about effort. Portland easily made enough mistakes to lose this game, but made up for it with effort on the defensive end and on the offensive glass.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I was a little concerned after the Knicks game that Nate would reel him in a little too much, based on some of what I read in the papers. I don't know if that happened but it's certainly possible. Remember, the first two games of the year Telfair just didn't look like Telfair, trying to adjust to Nate's offense. Some people immediately concluded that Jack was better. Then he started to assert himself more and showed some of what we saw last year. Then the big game in MSG. Then Nate complained some guys were playing their own game. Last night, from what I saw, it didn't seem like he was looking to score.

Anyway, the bottom line is he was the primary point guard in a winning game. He did not hurt the team and in fact helped the team win.

Nate said flat out after the Knicks game something that I've been preaching about $amon for years: Your point guard should not be your leading scorer or your primary offensive weapon -- he should facilitate the game and keep the other players on task so the team has good ball movement and easier scores for everyone.

Did Telfair do that? I think he did.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts