Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fact: For most of the time this season, no inside players (usually PF and C) are top 10 in scoring.

The new rule: The big man can be surrounded by 2 or 3 players. The old rule are not being allowed.

The result: If the team can't shoot 3, the big man scoring goes down.

The history: At least 6 big men are top 10 in scoring.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Dirk is #8 and Elton Brand is #10.
Also six of the next ten are fowards, four Bigs (Duncan, J O'Neal, Garnett, Jamison).
The new rule may contribute to the decline in scoring from big men (so far lots of good big men's numbers are down), but I think it more has to do with the lack of big men that can score.
good post.

·
Registered
16,817 Posts
Usually, 'outside' players attempt three-point field goals and make this shot about 35% of the time (if this is regarding good 'outside' players like I'm assuming). Also, usually, 'outside' players are volume shooters.

Okay. I read your post again and I'm confused.

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Premier said:
Usually, 'outside' players attempt three-point field goals and make this shot about 35% of the time (if this is regarding good 'outside' players like I'm assuming). Also, usually, 'outside' players are volume shooters.

Okay. I read your post again and I'm confused.
Your response tells me that you understand, not confuse.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
"Natural" post players tend to wear down more quickly because of the gridning that goes on the post. Also for sum unknown reason most of the teams in the NBA tend to run their offense through their guards instead of inside/out, low/high. Watch a game, and you'll notice that during the last 5 minutes there are about 50 perimeter shots instead of going down low which is a higher percentage shot but possibly disrupts the flow of the game.

Perimeter players have more scoring chances too(3 pt shots, slashing to the basket).

What I'd like to know is the rate for players getting to the line. Guards like Maggette, Pierce, Wade, Kobe against guys who mostly work on the paint like Yao etc.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
It's a lot easier to get the ball to an outside player. Big men have to get good post position, and the guard has to be able to throw a good entry pass.

From there, they're a lot easier to double-team because they defender can come over and still be close to the basket.

Big men are also less likely to get out and run on the break. Altogether it means less scoring.

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Focus points:

Compare to scoring leader in the history: at least 6 of top 10 are big man.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts