W- Nov. 13 at Kent State
W - NOV. 17 RICE
W- NOV. 25 DELAWARE
L - Nov. 28 at Buffalo
W - DEC. 1 WAGNER
W - Dec. 5 at Villanova
L - Dec. 8 vs. Duke (at Izod Center)
W - DEC. 12 TOWSON
W - DEC. 17 ALCORN STATE (GOTHAM CLASSIC)
W - DEC. 19 CANISIUS (GOTHAM CLASSIC)
W _ Dec. 22 vs. Syracuse (at MSG)
L - DEC. 29 DETROIT (GOTHAM CLASSIC)
W - DEC. 31 BOWLING GREEN
L - Jan. 6 at Kansas
W - JAN. 23 PENN

NONCON FORECAST: 11-4

A-10 FORECAST: 12-4

OVERALL PREDICTION: 23-8.

The Owls have a sort of Rich Man-Poor Man schedule. Its opponents are either very good or very bad, with little in between.

Kent State, a perennial MAC power, lost six of its eight top scorers from a 20-win team and is too inexperienced to pull another upset win (they won at West Virginia last year).

Rice lost five players to transfer and is usually a ne'er do well.

Delaware (18-14) has a fine and balanced team, just not fine enough to win in Philly.

Buffalo drilled Dayton in Ohio last year and beat the Owls in upstate New York four years ago. Can they do it again? They sure can.

Wagner lost coach Danny Hurley to the A-10 and now they'll lose to an A-10 power.

Not that it will be easy. Wagner returns all five starters from a 25-win team that beat Pitt in the Steel City and they suit up a top recruit who tranferred in from Michigan State. Wagner is strong in the backcourt and the upset potential is there. I can see Temple losing to either Buffalo or Wagner, mainly because of soph PG Will Cummings learning on the job.

Villanova is not the same this year and A-10 foes will feast. Temple, like SJU and LaSalle, gives the Cats the business and Nova finishes with its worst Big 5 record since the Steve Lappas era: 0-3.

Duke is just as beatable, on paper, as the team that the Owls upset last season in Philly. Temple still has a home court edge at Izod in New Jersey, but coach K learns from that defeat and the Dukies win.

Temple bounces back with easy wins over a dreadful Towson State, Alcorn State and Canisius. All three schools lost 20-plus games last year and have a long way to go to get back to respectability.

The Orangemen, as usual, are stocked with talented athletes in the frontcourt and backcourt. They are very young, however. I expect the Owls to win one game among Duke, Cuse and Kansas. This is their best shot given their greater experience and more disciplined approach.

If Temple beats Cuse, I can see a letdown vs. Detroit at home. The Titans won 20 games and their league tournament and gave Kansas a pretty good game, losing 65-50. The coach's son, Ray McCallum Jr, was a very high level recruit who chose to keep it in the family. He is a bona fide star who's surrounded by good complementary players. Detroit is quite capable of an upset.

Temple actually lost last year at Bowling Green, which was much improved after several years of bottom dwelling in the MAC. No suck luck this year to a more talented Temple team looking to make amends.

Temple is the second of two teams to visit Kansas this season - Richmond is the other. (SLU might also get a shot if they beat Texas A&M during an in-season tourney). Tough to win in Kansas, though A-10 teams have actually done it several times in the past decade or so. (UMass, Richmond).

In a Big Five game, Temple edges Penn.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Villanova is not the same this year and A-10 foes will feast. Temple, like SJU and LaSalle, gives the Cats the business and Nova finishes with its worst Big 5 record since the Steve Lappas era: 0-3.

Villanogo should maybe go 2-2 in the Big 5 series, with wins over Penn and one of the A10 teams to be determined. I don't think they will be basement bottom like you suggest.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Game against Duke in NJ might seem like home court for Temple in terms of distance, but I guarantee you Duke fans will have 75-25 advantage. I heard they were 50/50 in Philly last year, so they just swarm like bees in the Meadowlands.

I don't see Temple winning against Duke, Cuse or Kansas. I think the Nova game is a tossup too despite Nova's lack of experience. Every other non-conf game, Temple must win. If there are no marquee wins in the non-conf schedule, Temple must finish in the top 5 of A10 to get a bid i think.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Villanogo should maybe go 2-2 in the Big 5 series, with wins over Penn and one of the A10 teams to be determined. I don't think they will be basement bottom like you suggest.

Forgot about Penn. Even they are not a cupcake, though.

Nova hasn't lost to all three A-10 teams in a long time, so they are due, in my opinion. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Game against Duke in NJ might seem like home court for Temple in terms of distance, but I guarantee you Duke fans will have 75-25 advantage. I heard they were 50/50 in Philly last year, so they just swarm like bees in the Meadowlands.

I don't see Temple winning against Duke, Cuse or Kansas. I think the Nova game is a tossup too despite Nova's lack of experience. Every other non-conf game, Temple must win. If there are no marquee wins in the non-conf schedule, Temple must finish in the top 5 of A10 to get a bid i think.
The Duke game wasn't 50/50 it was probably 75-25 or 80-20 for Temple. Duke had thousands of fans in attendance, but there was also 20,000 people there. Despite that, Duke will definitely have more of a home court advantage in the Meadowlands than Temple will.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts