Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Here's an update: The scuttlebutt among Bucks and NBA insiders is the Bucks are now seriously looking to change coaches, head and assistant alike. While Terry Porter still has one more year remaining on his contract, it is believed he'll be relieved of his duties with a more experienced replacement likely to be brought in."

http://www.journaltimesonline.com/articles/2005/04/04/local_sports/iq_3469173.txt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,141 Posts
Before anyone comes in and suggests we look at hiring him, let me offer up the opinion that we need a head coach with a significant NBA resume, and one of relatively high success.

I like Terry as much as the next guy, but I don't necessarily think he's a good fit for this team. We need someone with a "been there/done that" level of experience. Someone who has won in the playoffs and knows what it takes to win close, high-pressure ball games.

-Pop
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,484 Posts
SodaPopinski said:
Someone who has won in the playoffs and knows what it takes to win close, high-pressure ball games.

-Pop

You meant as a coach....right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,141 Posts
Target said:
You meant as a coach....right?
LOL. Yeah, well I guess he kinda did win in those situations as a player. But yes, I meant as a coach. I think it's an entirely different scenario to know what it takes if you're out on the floor vs. knowing what it takes when you are coaching the players on the floor.

-Pop
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,072 Posts
With all due respect for Mr. Popinski's perspective, I'd be all for grabbing Terry. While there are many obvious similarities between Terry and the Blazer's most recently departed head coach, one big difference is that there have been long stretches during Terry's time with the Bucks where the Bucks seemed to be winning with smoke and mirrors -- his teams have been at par or better. While Cheeks often had unbalanced rosters to work with, a lack of support from management, and other things that weren't "fair", it's also hard to see how the Blazers could be said to have over-achieved under his care.

I thought that Terry Porter should've been hired some time ago. While hiring him now seems a bit more complicated, I still think it's a Good Idea. If Terry is actually let go, I'd hate to see Blazer's management pass on a Good Idea simply because it has some superficial resemblance to what was perhaps a Less Good Idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,484 Posts
I'm with you there Pop.

I'm pessimistic about our chances though since there are so many teams with proven players looking for coaches. I'm just hoping one of the available ones is having an identity or midlife crisis or something and sees the Blazers as a daunting challenge that cannot be passed up. Maybe paid time off for fishing trips during the season if they are over .750 would be a good incentive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,866 Posts
SodaPopinski said:
Before anyone comes in and suggests we look at hiring him, let me offer up the opinion that we need a head coach with a significant NBA resume, and one of relatively high success.
Amen to that. I like Terry as a person and as a player, but come on... if he couldn't get the job done in Milwaukee, what makes anyone think he can get it done here?

PBF
 

·
mere fan
Joined
·
6,553 Posts
ProudBFan said:
I like Terry as a person and as a player, but come on... if he couldn't get the job done in Milwaukee, what makes anyone think he can get it done here?
If by getting the job done you're saying... leading a team to contending status... then no, I don't think Terry could get the job done in Portland. I don't think any coach could either without major roster improvements. IMO talent is a much more important factor to winning then coaching, and what talent Portland has is green and not very complimentary.... Milwalkee obviously has been lacking some talent too.

Hopefully the front office can make some of the needed changes this offseason, because IMO as it stands right now Portland is probably years away no matter whose pacing the sidelines.

STOMP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,072 Posts
ProudBFan said:
Amen to that. I like Terry as a person and as a player, but come on... if he couldn't get the job done in Milwaukee, what makes anyone think he can get it done here?

PBF
That seems a silly argument to me. It wasn't that long ago that many of us thought it was a huge mistake for the Blazers to not let Cheeks talk with the 76ers and then to pursue Porter. Look at the roster that the Bucks have been rolling out there. There's Redd, Mason, Ford and....? Terry managed .500 ball with that crew and all sorts of folks (here, ESPN, Blazer announcers, etc.) seemed to think he was doing an amazing job.

So what's wrong in Milwaukee now? I'm guessing that they feel they need some kind of large change and it's easier to change a coach than to pull of a big trade. Or maybe Redd has someone he wants brought in. And, as near as I can tell, TP is still coaching the team. Thinking about pulling the plug is different from pulling it. And, if they do pull it soon, I'm still all for bringing him in.

That said, I'm not so far from being to TP what Playmaker is to SAR. :biggrin:
 

·
Grumpy Pragmatist
Joined
·
3,410 Posts
Just how much has Porter had to work with? Only Redd is really an above average player.

Desmond Mason has played his best ball under Porter. He has gotten more out of Joe Smith and Gadzuric then most people thought possible. He has turned a 2nd year, 2nd round pick (Mo Williams) into an adequate PG. Pachulia has also improved under his watch.

I'd say he has a good track record in the area most important to the team in the next season or 2........working with young players. Why worry about getting a guy with play-off experience, when the team isn't going to contend next year anyway? Most coaches who meet that criteria have a strong preference for coaching experienced vets.

Anybody who has watched the Bucks play can tell you that Porter is better at the "X"s and "O"s than Cheeks. If he also has the patience and skill to help our young players develop - that sounds like a good fit to me!
 

·
Grumpy Pragmatist
Joined
·
3,410 Posts
BTW, don't overlook the fact that Kohl is (once again) trying to sell the team. New ownership frequently means the coach and GM get dumped.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,072 Posts
Oldmangrouch said:
Just how much has Porter had to work with? Only Redd is really an above average player.

Desmond Mason has played his best ball under Porter. He has gotten more out of Joe Smith and Gadzuric then most people thought possible. He has turned a 2nd year, 2nd round pick (Mo Williams) into an adequate PG. Pachulia has also improved under his watch.

I'd say he has a good track record in the area most important to the team in the next season or 2........working with young players. Why worry about getting a guy with play-off experience, when the team isn't going to contend next year anyway? Most coaches who meet that criteria have a strong preference for coaching experienced vets.

Anybody who has watched the Bucks play can tell you that Porter is better at the "X"s and "O"s than Cheeks. If he also has the patience and skill to help our young players develop - that sounds like a good fit to me!

Thanks, 'Grouch. It's good to know that, if I'm crazy, I'm at least not alone. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,649 Posts
I'd be all for bringing in T.Porter as our next coach. I agree with Oldmangrouch and Porterin2004, Porter did better with a very weak Bucks roster than most coach's could have done. Sure Redd is a solid player, but IMO, he is a VERY on dimensional player, who will NEVER carry a team on his back. The Bucks roster is full of role players, and most of them are garbage role players. Our team next year will have much more talent then the Bucks ever had. I think that Porter is a much better X's and O's coach than what many of you give him credit for. He'd also be a great coach for Telfair. My only problem with us getting Porter is that Crapzano and the rest of the local media buffoons would tear the organization apart because they'd think that they hired him for PR reasons, NOT for the fact that he's a good coach, because of course none of them know a damn thing about hoops. The more I think about it, the more I'd rather have us get Porter than Flip... Porter would be much cheaper, and would have a vested interest and love for this team and city that no other coach would have because of the time he spent here as a player.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,649 Posts
I'd also like to add that Jerome Kersey is an assistant with Terry in Milwaukie... it'd be great to see them on the bench together here in Portland, again!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,412 Posts
I think Porter would be a great coach for the Blazers.

Last year in Milwaukee he narrowly missed the playoffs with a team very thin team. I think if he were put into a situation where he had some talent to work with that he would thrive. He would also be really popular with the community and would be a good PR move.....This year he had probably the most thin rosters in the NBA to work with and still has maintained a better record than the Blazers, even before the Blazers coaching change.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,866 Posts
Okay, here's my bottom line:

I want to see the Blazers land a COACH to be their next coach, not a player trying to earn his stripes AS a coach. In other words, I want to see them land someone who is already well established AS a coach.

We got burned w/ Maurice. I'd rather the Blazers not repeat the experience. Leave the coaching to the COACHes.

PBF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,412 Posts
ProudBFan said:
Okay, here's my bottom line:

I want to see the Blazers land a COACH to be their next coach, not a player trying to earn his stripes AS a coach. In other words, I want to see them land someone who is already well established AS a coach.

We got burned w/ Maurice. I'd rather the Blazers not repeat the experience. Leave the coaching to the COACHes.

PBF
And what coaches out their have earned their stripes as a coach, that we have a possibility of getting..?
 

·
Schilster Supreme
Joined
·
13,610 Posts
I don't know of many truely established NBA coaches that are actually available.

Jackson
Saunders
?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,866 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
And what coaches out their have earned their stripes as a coach, that we have a possibility of getting..?
No idea. I'm just saying what I'd like to see the Blazers do.

Mo and Porter were among the league's bet PG's when they were playing. But Mo turned out to be a horrible coach, and the jury's still out on Porter. Why go with a relative unknown? Why not try for the guy who has already proven that he knows his stuff?

PBF
 

·
Schilster Supreme
Joined
·
13,610 Posts
ProudBFan said:
Why go with a relative unknown?
PBF
Because that might be your best option that is actually available.

Kinda like when some one says "we need a star Shooting Guard", is subsequently asked "Who?" And responds, "I don't know but he needs to be a star".
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top