Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to LG.net for bringing this to my attention. Tex Winter on 1540am this afternoon said:

"Shaq defeated himself against the Pistons - He had one big game in the finals - Boxing out and rebounding was awful by Shaq in the Finals - One assist in a finals game is inexcusable - Over the years Shaq has had no interest in defense or rebounding, only on the offensive end - Shaq will be a challenge for that team in Miami."

Tex's top 5 players by position:

PG Baron Davis
SG Kobe
SF Odom
PF Timmy
C Shaq

Despite what a bad Finals Kobe had, people forget that Shaq played virtually no defense in the Pistons series (partially because he wasn't fit enough to handle one day rest games) and had only one big rebounding game (after a 2 day+ rest). Good to know a sharp basketball mind like Tex Winters sees what some of us saw during that series.

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
Originally posted by <b>EHL</b>!
Thanks to LG.net for bringing this to my attention. Tex Winter on 1540am this afternoon said:

"Shaq defeated himself against the Pistons - He had one big game in the finals - Boxing out and rebounding was awful by Shaq in the Finals - One assist in a finals game is inexcusable - Over the years Shaq has had no interest in defense or rebounding, only on the offensive end - Shaq will be a challenge for that team in Miami."
:yes:

PG Baron Davis
SG Kobe
SF Odom
PF Timmy
C Shaq
:nonono: Come on Tex? Odom the best small forward in the league? As much as any laker fan would like to believe this is true, it just isn't. :whoknows:

Despite what a bad Finals Kobe had, people forget that Shaq played virtually no defense in the Pistons series (partially because he wasn't fit enough to handle one day rest games) and had only one big rebounding game (after a 2 day+ rest). Good to know a sharp basketball mind like Tex Winters sees what some of us saw during that series.
:yes: Chuuuch!

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Originally posted by <b>EHL</b>!

PG Baron Davis
SG Kobe
SF Odom
PF Timmy
C Shaq
He picked Odom, haha. I wonder who he would have picked 6 months ago? I guess if its even debatable, then might as well say it.

Baron Davis is an interesting pick too. TD, Kobe and Shaq are not surprising, since they have been the best at their position for years now.

I think that Shaq getting one assist in a finals game was more because they had a 6'9 center guarding him in single coverage. so not only was he looking to shoot, but anyone he passed out to would be covered by someone.

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
Re: Re: Tex Winter blasts Shaq

Originally posted by <b>John The Cool Kid</b>!
I think that Shaq getting one assist in a finals game was more because they had a 6'9 center guarding him in single coverage. so not only was he looking to shoot, but anyone he passed out to would be covered by someone.
You might be right, but at the same time, it's interesting how a player can complain about not getting the ball when he clearly was not distributing the ball himself.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
You have to have the ball to distribute it.

In spite of Winter's criticisms, Shaq was the Lakers best player in the finals.

And if the Lakers had given him the ball more, the Pistons would have been cooked, because they had no answer for him down low.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Re: Re: Tex Winter blasts Shaq

He picked Odom, haha. I wonder who he would have picked 6 months ago? I guess if its even debatable, then might as well say it.

Baron Davis is an interesting pick too. TD, Kobe and Shaq are not surprising, since they have been the best at their position for years now.

I don't think Tex is with the Lakers anymore...

Anyways this was Tex's top ten SFs a year ago, granted Lamar had a bounceback year since then.

1- Stojakovic
2- Marion
3- Jefferson
4- Mashburn
5- Jamison
6- Robinson
7- Artest
8- Wells
9- Kukoc
10- Lewis/Harpring/Kirlenko

"comers"- Mike Miller and Caron Butler

So he even had Butler ahead of Odom.

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
I don't know how much u can criticize a guy for lack of assists when he was shooting over 60% from the field. And if a certain teammate wasn't so pathetically selfish on the court, Shaq might have actually gotten the ball more and LA wouldn't have looked so bad. Regarding his rebounding and D, that's what carried LA over the first 3 rounds. It's tough to dominate the boards against the two Wallaces. Either way, Shaq was the least of LA's problems against the Pistons. Fact is, Malone and GP couldn't get anything done. Bryant was hell bent on making sure Shaq had no chance at finals MVP. And Pistons were just too good to be beaten.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Yeah thats gotta be an old list if Kukoc is still up there.

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
Originally posted by <b>SPMJ</b>!
I don't know how much u can criticize a guy for lack of assists when he was shooting over 60% from the field.
It warrents some merit considering this 'guy' went to the free throw line at least 10 times every game, and shot under 50%. Shaq totaled 1 assist in three different games, in the finals. Tex Winters has a point.

And if a certain teammate wasn't so pathetically selfish on the court, Shaq might have actually gotten the ball more and LA wouldn't have looked so bad.
Shaq got the ball just about as much as he did in the regular season. He averaged 17 shots per game, and went to the free throw line 11 times per game.

Regarding his rebounding and D, that's what carried LA over the first 3 rounds. It's tough to dominate the boards against the two Wallaces.
I agree that it's tough to dominate against two wallaces, but this is Shaq we're talking about. He can dominate anyone he chooses, IMO, the only person who can beat Shaq is Shaq. Had he been as determined to win while he was a lakers as he is now with the heat, those two wallaces wouldn't stand a chance!

Either way, Shaq was the least of LA's problems against the Pistons. Fact is, Malone and GP couldn't get anything done.
True, true

Bryant was hell bent on making sure Shaq had no chance at finals MVP.
Not so sure about that, but it's possible.

And Pistons were just too good to be beaten.
:yes:

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
Originally posted by <b>JoeD</b>!
Why would Shaq go for assists when he was scoring almost every time he got the ball?
That would have helped get his teammates involved and contrary to popular belief, it was not Shaq who won titles for LA, it was the team itself. No one person can win it all, everyone has to play a role, that's the only way to win. Just ask the Pistons!

p.s. Shaq complained about not getting the ball as much as he would have liked to, but he didn't get the ball to his teammates either, so how are they supposed to feel..... maybe the same way he did.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
The Pistons played it about smart as possible. They made it really difficult to get it into the post, but once it got there, they stayed at home.

Shaq shot 63% from field and averaged 27 points. Thats insane. However, those numbers came at the expense of not establishing the other players on the team in the game. Shaq couldnt beat the Pistons himself, and since he was getting easy buckets whenever he touched the ball, no other player could really get going.

If Shaq did pass out, it wouldnt have done much good because the Pistons wouldnt be recovering from any double team.

You cant blame Shaq for not passing of the post when he could score easily. You also cant blame his teammates for not performing well because their touches are limited with Shaq looking to be fed the ball every play.

So the bottom line is, Pistons had an excellent gameplan, and it worked to perfection.

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
The Pistons played it about smart as possible. They made it really difficult to get it into the post, but once it got there, they stayed at home.

Shaq shot 63% from field and averaged 27 points. Thats insane. However, those numbers came at the expense of not establishing the other players on the team in the game. Shaq couldnt beat the Pistons himself, and since he was getting easy buckets whenever he touched the ball, no other player could really get going.

If Shaq did pass out, it wouldnt have done much good because the Pistons wouldnt be recovering from any double team.

You cant blame Shaq for not passing of the post when he could score easily. You also cant blame his teammates for not performing well because their touches are limited with Shaq looking to be fed the ball every play.

So the bottom line is, Pistons had an excellent gameplan, and it worked to perfection.
Damn good post! :clap:

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Originally posted by <b>IV</b>!

17 shots per game, and 11 free throw attempts.
That's really not very many considering how easy it was for him to score. He was shooting 60 percent for godsakes. He should have had the ball everytime down the court and forced Larry Brown to double. That's how the Lakers work. You run the triangle through Shaq in the Post. But the Lakers went away from that.

They lost because their team was a bunch of greedy primadonnas who cared about everything BUT the Detroit Pistons.

Hubris is a *****.

Out of all the players on that Laker team in the finals, to single out Shaq seems silly.

I agree he stopped rebounding and defending like he did against the Spurs and Wolves, which was why they won those series. But his offense was so good that it's beyond insane that the Lakers couldn't figure out how to get him the ball in single coverage. Was it because they weren't good enough to throw an entry pass?(possible) or was it because they weren't trying?

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
:greatjob: Tex. You may be a senile old coot (and I mean that in the most flattering way possible,but c'mon man, Odom as the best SF), but at least someone has the balls to not cow-tow to the imperial one known as Shaquille O'Neal. :rolleyes:

:clap:

·
What Do You Know??? Shaqtus
20,601 Posts

PG Baron Davis
SG Kobe
SF Odom
PF Timmy
C Shaq
Ok, change the PG and the SF and you got yourself a better lookin list... And of course, where was Tex complaining about Kobes terrible shot selection, his 38% shooting, his ridiculous amount of turnovers (3.6 per game), all his technicals, his 4-23 from the three point line... His 2.8 Rebounds Per Game, and his only 4.4 Assists Per Game, But yeah... Let's blame Shaq... That's perfectly fair!

·
What Do You Know??? Shaqtus
20,601 Posts
Shaq got the ball just about as much as he did in the regular season. He averaged 17 shots per game, and went to the free throw line 11 times per game.
Kobe averaged 23 shots per game and averaged 23 ppg... (If everything is rounded up)... Shaq averaged 27ppg on 17 shots per game... Who was the selfish one? Kobe had his lowest assist total of any of the series... He shot the worst, and he had his worst three point percentage... Yet he took more shots... :uhoh:

1 - 20 of 126 Posts