Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a list of what I think are the most raw players in the game of basketball, college and pro. They are the players that have a ton of talent but don't always use it, you could just call them underachievers. But this is what I think are the most raw players in basketball, they have a lot of talent but they don't have a good feel for the game yet.

They are still raw, and need to be put back into the oven and cooked some more basketball wise........

1)Keyon Dooling:Once compared to Steve Francis, if he just learned how to dribble and shoot he would be a great PG, instead he is a nobody on the Clipps, could really solve there PG problems if he plays to his ability, great athlete but is raw

2)Joel Prizybilla:Should be a 10 rebound 3 block guy in the NBA, yeah he can't score but he really needs to get a offensive game, good movement can run the floor but something is missing, there should not even be a problem in Milwuakee at the 5 but they did draft Sampson and Gadzuric?

3)Jonathan Bender:Has shown a lot of promise but I don't think that is enough, with his speed and size he could be the first 7-1, 2 guard in NBA history, should be a 15-25 point a game scorer, but still could do it.

4)Felipe Lopez:Awesome defender super quick, good athlete, just never has got that handle down so he can play PG, and can't shoot a outside shot that well, has the athletic ability just not the rest.

5)Neil Fingleton:He is one of very fue 7-6 players on earth, it is saf that he has not became anything yet, he was at UNC but transfered because of emotional reasons, hope he can get inspired at Holy Cross and use that great size and length.

6)James White:Should really not be on this list but with his ability he should of had a way better FROSH year than he did, and once again a player that can't shoot or dribble, but he will turn it around but right now he is very raw.

7)Chris Massie:Should be a tank down low, low center of gravity, big arms, went back to Memphis but will that do anything for him?

8)Jawad Williams:Has a super handle at 6-9, all he need is one thing, a jump shot, if he gets that down he could be a lottery pick, but if not he will just be a tall guy that can dribble.

9)Josh Moore:Yeah remember him, the 300+ center on Michigan, but now he is on a different college team, was sad to watch at Michigan fouled almost every play, but you can't find size like this so I hope he gets it around, if he does watch out for another Jerome James.

10)Mikki Moore:Should be a lot better than he is, can really run, block shots and is a very good leper, maybe it is his lack of PT on Detroit, he does have the talent to be a real impact center in the NBA, at times looks like a very poor mans Tyson Chandler without the jump shot or handle.

11)N'diaye, Mamadou:Good size for a center, tough, competitive, just needs a offensive game of any kind, has none at all, if he can get a little jump hook or something he would play!

12)Earl Barron:Has shown a lot last year but still zones out in games, should be a lot better shot blocker than he is, but has a good offensive game, just work on that defense.

13)Lenny Cooke:Has it all, can play the 2 or 3, can dribble, not a horrible jump shot, can defend, just needs to get his head turned on strait, but I don't know if that is possibel? I hope it is..

14)Bernard Robinson:Fast, long, lefty, good athlete, can get to the hoop, but is a bad shooter, just needs to play like a leader and shown some of it last year, he has a competitive fire in him, just needs to use it all the time, if he does watch out!!!

15)Marc Jackson:Was a 13 point guy in GS now is only a 4 point guy on Minnesota, had great games in the begining but then got less PT, has a good jump shot from15, is 6-11 270, can rebound is mentally tough, what is his missing????

16)Emeka Okafor:Also should not be on here but he does have a lot of untaped talent, he is just a rebounder and blocker on UCONN, he only gets hoops from dunks and lobs, that is not a bad thing but he needs a jump shot, if he does say hello to the next great PF in the NBA.

Any others?

·
Premium Member
6,940 Posts
I definitely think you'd have to put Jamal Sampson and David Harrison on that list...

As far as Keyon Dooling, he was injured most of last season, so he didn't get much of a chance to improve. He showed a lot of promise during his rookie season, and he has a very high ceiling. I do agree that he is raw, but there are many more players I'd put on that list before him.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
i like it, let me toss in a few more;
dermarr johnson;didnt think he should have left cinci and it shows i think the 3rd year is kind of make or break time for a lot of young guys drafted early.
darius miles;ditto
david lee,he's kind of in the same boat as white,he has a ton of talnet and now is the time to show it
peja stojackovic,yeah i know he is good but i want to see him take it to another level.he was good last year before his injury,needs to want the big shot there.
shavlik randolph,everyone talks about his skill level but seems to be a little hesitant,the carolina people bash him of course for going to duke but he has a great oppurtunity to be the next mike dunleavy there,hopefully it wont be the next joey beard or chris burgess.

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts
Ok

I would throw in Crawford(Bulls) and David Lee(Gators).

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
You're missing probably the most raw young player in the game...Amare Stoudemire. This guy stands by the basket blocking shots, knocking people over, he can dunk over anybody. He runs the floor extremely well, and his talent is incredible.

He played great explosive basketball against the Nuggets in the SL earlier today. A couple times I thought that he was going to tear down the rim.

Stoudemire is raw as in, plays streetball, like he's never been coached. He just gets the ball, and when he wants to, he can score on anybody. He plays like he's a man among boys sometimes.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Good, well thought out post. I'll comment on the Michigan guys, becuase thats who I know. Josh Moore is done, college wise, I've read articles where he insists he'll be in the NBA but it seems like he thinks his size is enouph. He just doesn't have a great work ethic. Too bad becuase he could have been something. As for Robinson you hit the nail on the head. This is a make or break year for him. From everything I've read it sounds like he is on the verge of a breakout year.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
How about Diop at Cleveland or Stoudamire at Phoenix

They both are pretty raw.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Originally posted by OZZY

1)Keyon Dooling:Once compared to Steve Francis, if he just learned how to dribble and shoot he would be a great PG, instead he is a nobody on the Clipps, could really solve there PG problems if he plays to his ability, great athlete but is raw

hehehe this one made me laugh, if he could just learn to dribble and shoot, haha, if i developed keyon dooling atheleticism i could be a great PG!!! haha sorry just the way you put it is funny.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Originally posted by Budweiser_Boy
I can't believe you didn't mention Johnathan Bender of the Pacers. Total lack of fundamentals, straight out of high school a few years back, but puts up half-decent numbers for a player who averages 21 minutes a game.

Umm...Bender was number 3 on his list :confused:

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did not put Diop or Stoudamire because first Stoudamire has not played in the NBA yet, but for being right out of high school he did great in the summer leauge getting 10 rebound 15+ point games! And same thing with Diop, he was horrible his first year but he is doing great in the summer league, he had 5 blocks his last game and leads the league in blocks, but he to is just out of high school.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Dooling does know how to shoot and dribble very well.

What sets Francis apart from Dooling is his ability to distribute the rock and get his teammates involved. Dooling was improving in this area, but that injury last year put it all to a screeching halt.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Dooling

Keyon is three units of motivation away from being a very solid PG....and as for Francis comparisons, I like skinny Baron Davis :grinning: better because Dooling and Davis both are better ballhawks and more explosive than Franchise.

·
Registered
119 Posts
NBA:
diop
a. stoudamire
bender
pryzbilla
gadzuric
r. white
miles
dooling
swift
haislip(altho hes more polished than most ppl think)
moiso
s. hunter
tsakalidis

college:
white(i do expect big things from him next season)
d. lee(i expect him to improve by leaps next season)
fingleton
c. sanders
maxiell(i expect him to improve vastly next season also)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Frank Williams

He should have led the Illini to the final4 last year they weren loaded with talent and he can be great but just doesnt want to be

1 - 20 of 34 Posts