Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah baby, it is time to give some recognition to the greatest sporting team in the world ever and for all time. First let me run down the team, so you all can understand why they were the best sporting team of all time:
Centre - David Robinson, Patrick Ewing
Power Forward - Charles Barkley, Karl Malone, Christian Laettner
Small Forward - Scottie Pippen, , Clyde Drexler, Larry Bird,
Shooting Guards - Michael Jordan,Chris Mullin
Point Guards - John Stockton, Magic Johnson
Remember in the Barcelona Olympics Chuck Daly never even called one time out in the whole tournament. Did anyone see the official 1992 Dream Team video, when they showed the team practicing, playing 5 on 5, and hearing all the trash talk between all of these superstars?? No team in any sport can say that they have a better team in a point in time than this original dream team. Remember when Jordan almost never made the team because he wanted to rest after winning his second NBA championship? remember all of those flashy assists and dunks while on the way to smashing and bashing Angola, etc.The funny thing about this team, is that no-one really cared who scored the most points, etc as it was all about getting olympic gold and dominating the opposition. It was about sending a statement to the rest of the world that we are so much better than all of your other countries and we will have revenge about when the Russians beat the US in the previous Olympics. the only downside on that team, was the inclusion of Laettner. I understand the reasoning about having one college player on that roster, but I never think about him when I reminisce about this amazing team.Never will they get 12 players as good as these guys on any team in any year in any era in any period!!! It is time to give credit where credit is due. It would have been so easy for all these guys to say, look we are not interested in playing at the 1992 olympics, we just want to rest. But these guys knew the history that they were going to create with that team.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
Yeah I would agree with that. The only thing that team is missing is Shaq to be honest. But he could not have played on that team, but if Shaq was on there it would be the best team because it would have the best players from the span of 1980-2000.

And I have the original Starting Lineup box with everyone of them in it!!!!!!

That could be some real $$$$ in the future.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
That team was something and how Barkley stole the show in 92 and in 96! He was so entertaining, so funny, and people forget how good that *shortie* was at rebounding and scoring. What I also remember most is by how much they dominated the opposition!

As for Laettner:
He is still friends with Mike (why do you think he got a 4 year contract with the Wiz, because he couldn't play?) Because he plays with solid fundamentals, a will to win that Mike also likes, and he was a 2 time NCAA champion who didn't mind taking that last winning shot.

Mike is fairly good at judging talent.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Put DREAM on that team and it would be the best at that time. He was in his prime at that time and could school anyone.

HE TOOK SHAQ TO SCHOOL THEN

nobody could hold Dream in his prime

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Dream was

an outstanding center, and you are right, in his prime NOBODY could stop his shakey-fakey baseline move.... he was as quick as some SF's on those moves.... Akeem was one of my favorites... he was simply a slam-dunker on Phi-Slamma-Jamma, and he became one of the top centers EVER offense and defense.

By the way, did he play in that Olympics for a different team, or was he then "American" and just wasn't picked?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
love that dream team

i was about 15 when that olympics happened... i remember talking with my friends about it, and we were predicting that the dream team would score 200+ points in some of the games

bottom line was, we knew there was no chance that any other team could come close...

and i think that's still true today. you put together a team of any players from any time, and you still wouldn't be able to put together a more talented, detirmined team than that one

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
a true dream team of today would give that team a run for their money, imo. i like the '92 team with jordan as the x factor overall, but this team could be pretty close. shaq, duncan, tmac, garnett, kobe, payton, kidd, carter, iverson, webber...... pretty tough matchups. remember when we think about the '92 team, that magic and bird weren't the players they were in their prime, bird because of injury (he retired after the '92 season), magic because of hiv (he retired after the '91 season, and hadn't played in a year). obviously, they're still stacked. but it's a tough matchup. this team is big along the front line, shaq is unstoppable, and they're athletic. not as experienced as the '92 team.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Originally posted by kflo
a true dream team of today would give that team a run for their money, imo. i like the '92 team with jordan as the x factor overall, but this team could be pretty close. shaq, duncan, tmac, garnett, kobe, payton, kidd, carter, iverson, webber...... pretty tough matchups. remember when we think about the '92 team, that magic and bird weren't the players they were in their prime, bird because of injury (he retired after the '92 season), magic because of hiv (he retired after the '91 season, and hadn't played in a year). obviously, they're still stacked. but it's a tough matchup. this team is big along the front line, shaq is unstoppable, and they're athletic. not as experienced as the '92 team.
Just thinking about how exciting that series would be is enough to make one like myself almost speculate about the outcome, but speculation is too close to fortune telling, palm reading, and crystal ball readings for this fan. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts