Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Its hard to get up for the NIT but I think Dayton should be satisfied with it. This year it was not expected to reach the NCAA so I think finishing in the NIT is a positive thing. Next year you should be challenging for a bid to the big one. Id give anything to see the Bonnies in the NIT this year

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I'm disappointed they didn't do Dayton vs Xavier in the 4/5 game.

Here's hoping for a Davidson over Furman, Dayton over Loyola Final Four in the Garden.

·
Piker
8,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NIT Tourney

#5 Lipscomb @ #4 Davidson- 7 PM (ESPN3)

#5 Dayton @ #4 Colorado- 11 PM (ESPN2)

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Hmmm, I like these experimental changes.

3-pt line - agree. Although I doubt it takes very long for the game to revert to stand around and shoot from 22' instead of 20+'.

Lane - not sure. I think it could hurt smaller teams in that bigs have more room to maneuver to evade the box out advantage of the defending team.

Shot clock reset - not sure. I wasn't sure about the reset to 20s after a foul either. I know it goes both ways, you'll like it when you're desperately trying to rally if you miss the rebound, but overall I think I'd rather a consistent shot clock.

I hate the foul rule and the reset to 0 team fouls at 10 minute mark. You shouldn't get bailed out for having fouled the crap out of the other team first the first 50% of the half, and v.v. Just plain go to quarters at that point. But i like the 1-and-1. Maybe play quarters, 4th and 5th fouls are 1-and-1's, 6th+ are 2 shots.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
3-pt line - agree. Although I doubt it takes very long for the game to revert to stand around and shoot from 22' instead of 20+'.

Lane - not sure. I think it could hurt smaller teams in that bigs have more room to maneuver to evade the box out advantage of the defending team.

Shot clock reset - not sure. I wasn't sure about the reset to 20s after a foul either. I know it goes both ways, you'll like it when you're desperately trying to rally if you miss the rebound, but overall I think I'd rather a consistent shot clock.

I hate the foul rule and the reset to 0 team fouls at 10 minute mark. You shouldn't get bailed out for having fouled the crap out of the other team first the first 50% of the half, and v.v. Just plain go to quarters at that point. But i like the 1-and-1. Maybe play quarters, 4th and 5th fouls are 1-and-1's, 6th+ are 2 shots.

The shot clock reset is good. It generates more possessions and it doesnt allow teams to get a rebound, kick it out and stand around for 20 more seconds, which isnt good for anybody.

I like the lane being wider because I think the charge arc is too big. Its hard for a defender to guard the hoop and get outside that arc to draw a charge. Now with the offense being forced out a little further, they can get outside the arc easier.

·
Piker
8,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like the lane being wider because I think the charge arc is too big. Its hard for a defender to guard the hoop and get outside that arc to draw a charge. Now with the offense being forced out a little further, they can get outside the arc easier.
Call me crazy but for the last 10 years I have been on an internal crusade to rid basketball of the charge/block call. Not sure who to contact or how to do it though.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Call me crazy but for the last 10 years I have been on an internal crusade to rid basketball of the charge/block call. Not sure who to contact or how to do it though.
So you are basically saying that in your opinion it would be ok to just barrell through a guy and for said guy to move so that his opponent has to barrel through him?

Let's keep going and eliminate illegal picks and running through picks.

After that, since blocks are allowed, bumping the guy with the ball is allowed too.

Lastly, let's put pads on the players and give them points for running to the other end of the court instead of having to put it through the basket.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
So you are basically saying that in your opinion it would be ok to just barrell through a guy and for said guy to move so that his opponent has to barrel through him?

After that, since blocks are allowed, bumping the guy with the ball is allowed too.

Lastly, let's put pads on the players and give them points for running to the other end of the court instead of having to put it through the basket.
As long as you don't allow anyone to hit the point guard after he's dished the ball or if he goes into a slide feet first, I'm on board!

·
Piker
8,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I just do not know what a charge is anymore. I see defenders sliding under offensive players in every single game. It just seems that if you jump in front of a offensive player you have a great chance to draw the charge. I hate it. If an offensive player has already made a move toward the rim to shoot and a defender moves into the player call it a block. A charge is when a defender has control of the space not takes the space away. I have no idea how to fix it. Back in the day it was difficult to get the charge call. These days a guy can stick half his body in front of a driving player and get the call. What is a charge and what is a block? I need to have a talk with Jamie Luckie.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I just do not know what a charge is anymore. I see defenders sliding under offensive players in every single game. It just seems that if you jump in front of a offensive player you have a great chance to draw the charge. I hate it. If an offensive player has already made a move toward the rim to shoot and a defender moves into the player call it a block. A charge is when a defender has control of the space not takes the space away. I have no idea how to fix it. Back in the day it was difficult to get the charge call. These days a guy can stick half his body in front of a driving player and get the call. What is a charge and what is a block? I need to have a talk with Jamie Luckie.
At what point is the player making a move toward the rim? I think that would be too hard to judge and therefore call. That is similar to the upward motion that was in place for a season and the referees said was impossible to call.

Here is a good take:
https://www.bannersontheparkway.com/2018/3/16/17130192/no-one-knows-the-block-get-rid-of-the-charge-rule-ncaa-basketball-tournament-march-madness

1 - 20 of 32 Posts