Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I disagree BI, if Indiana, Penn St and those other schools had to go to Bona, VC, Dayton and SLU, they would leave with bruises and a loss

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
We have metrics that sort this shit out, they are WAB and SOR. This guy updates WAB

The whole "Indiana would dominate the Valley" arguments are the shit I hear from big school fans all the time. Its bullshit. The power schools are not better, and their records in the NCAAT are worse than the winning programs from smaller conferences. Lunardi wrote about it last summer.
You're right, he did, and had the data to back it up with solid mids vs. mediocre P5's. "Dominate" is bullshit, but I do think they'd be in the mix for a Valley title every season.

When you have to take the top mid-major teams to say hey, they're beating .500 power teams, you can dispel "BCS superiority is a myth". They are superior. Whatever. We're talking about picking the final 6-8 teams for the tournament and you need to reward winners.

I disagree BI, if Indiana, Penn St and those other schools had to go to Bona, VC, Dayton and SLU, they would leave with bruises and a loss
Sadly they won't give us the chance to find out. Yet another reason we deserve to get in and test our mettle.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The top programs from the P5? Sure. No argument here. However, I am convinced the middle-ish (let alone low end) P5 teams from year to year are definitively not superior to the top 3-4 teams from the A10, AAC, MWC, WCC, and MVC. That’s pretty much all I’ve ever contended.

It’s asinine that sub-.500 P5s can point to some subjective “eye test” when they hover at .500 all year. Minnesota has lost five straight, yet they are STILL considered a bubble team. Like you said, ‘85, at that point, common sense must prevail. Winning teams get those last 4-6 bids, and the only way to ensure that in the era of “cash trumps reason and fairness” is to have cast iron qualifying rules. Regulations are necessary sometimes—be they established by the federal government or the NCAA.
EXACTLY.

Outside of a normal year, the top ~4 from the ACC, Big10, Big 12, SEC are better than that of the next tier of non-major conferences.

VCU, Dayton, Boise, Bona, Memphis and BYU are most comparable to teams like Clemson, ND, SU, Purdue, etc.

BUT, when you have teams from this conference losing to the lowest rungs of the ACC and Big 10, it's not a good look. I get some of those games are on the road, but you have to beat the BCs of the world like a drum...especially when you are a top half A10 school.

This is still an odd conversation. You can't argue inequities of D1 hoops and then buy out solid programs like Bucknell and never return a road game. Bucknell is good enough to merit that, but we don't do it for the same reasons why people don't do it with us or Buffalo.

Too volatile. You don't think the guy at Clemson or wherever looks at a school like Bona and says, "They are a really good club, but they aren't consistently a top 100 team. Pass on them."

Last year we won 19 games, granted injuries happened, but finished 122 in the NET. That is a dangerous team to schedule, and has been a pretty common theme of the Schmidt era save two or three years.

Look at Akron/Hofstra. They are honestly a pretty good team, but in smaller conferences if you lose a few games, you go from being a good OOC game to a Q3 pretty fast. Bona kind of falls into the category...not to that extreme, but not as easy to predict as a VCU or UD.

·
Piker
10,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Did Hannibal Lecter agree with him?
That is another one. He has been wearing the cannibalization crap for months. P5s have nice dinner parties.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Therein lies the issue, my friend.

The Penn States of the world don't need a ton of Q1/Q2 OOC like the A10 does...They will get that in conference, so there's no real need to bend over backwards to get a top A10 or MVC team on your schedule especially on the road.

Also, if you're VCU or Dayton or whoever, why play that road game at a projected bottom B1G? Feel like you can do a bit better than that.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
This is still an odd conversation. You can't argue inequities of D1 hoops and then buy out solid programs like Bucknell and never return a road game. Bucknell is good enough to merit that, but we don't do it for the same reasons why people don't do it with us or Buffalo.
Fair point, but your poster child is a couple of years out of date.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Therein lies the issue, my friend.

The Penn States of the world don't need a ton of Q1/Q2 OOC like the A10 does...They will get that in conference, so there's no real need to bend over backwards to get a top A10 or MVC team on your schedule especially on the road.

Also, if you're VCU or Dayton or whoever, why play that road game at a projected bottom B1G? Feel like you can do a bit better than that.
I was talking about how these "power" schools wouldnt just waltz in and win if they were in the A10 and had to play a conference schedule

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was talking about how these "power" schools wouldnt just waltz in and win if they were in the A10 and had to play a conference schedule
Perhaps, but the P5 have faired pretty well against all levels of A10 clubs over the past five or six years, so I think they wouldn't struggle by any stretch.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Perhaps, but the P5 have faired pretty well against all levels of A10 clubs over the past five or six years, so I think they wouldn't struggle by any stretch.
Over the last 8 years Dayton is 24 and 14 against the P5 and BE, and one game against Gonzaga. They were 2 and 9 against ranked opponents, so they beat the shit out of the mediocre power teams.

I suspect VCU, SLU and other A10 teams would have comparable results.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Over the last 8 years Dayton is 24 and 14 against the P5 and BE, and one game against Gonzaga. They were 2 and 9 against ranked opponents, so they beat the shit out of the mediocre power teams.

I suspect VCU, SLU and other A10 teams would have comparable results.
A10 vs P5 + Big East in past five seasons
VCU is 5-14
SLU is 8-11
RIchmond is 7-11
Bona is 4-4
URI is 7-13
UMass is 3-8
Mason is 2-7
Davidson is 3-15
Saint Joe's is 2-14
Duquesne is 1-6
GW is 0-13
La Salle is 0-14

·
Registered
65 Posts
Bona since 2017-2018 season:

Wins: Maryland, Syracuse, UCLA, Rutgers
Losses: TCU, Florida, Syracuse

Of the 7, both against Syracuse were true road games and none were home games.

2019-2020 Rutgers went 11-9 in the Big Ten. (NCAA lock)
2018-2019 Syracuse went 10-8 in the ACC. (NCAA round of 64)
2017-2018 Maryland went 8-10 in the Big Ten. (CBI Invite)
2017-2018 TCU went 9-9 in the Big 12. (NCAA round of 64)
2017-2018 Syracuse went 8-10 in the ACC (NCAA Sweet Sixteen)
2017-2018 UCLA went 11-7 in the Pac 12 (NCAA first four)
2017-2018 Florida went 11-7 in the SEC (NCAA round of 32)

I think you're buying into hype more than anything.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
A10 vs P5 + Big East in past five seasons
VCU is 5-14
SLU is 8-11
RIchmond is 7-11
Bona is 4-4
URI is 7-13
UMass is 3-8
Mason is 2-7
Davidson is 3-15
Saint Joe's is 2-14
Duquesne is 1-6
GW is 0-13
La Salle is 0-14

Regarding Bona's, 3rdShay went back 5 years while MLH only went back 4. The difference is a loss to Florida in 16-17. What is noteworthy, or maybe not so noteworthy, is that Bona is 4-4 over the 5 year period, with the 4 wins coming at 3 neutral sites and one road, and the 4 losses also coming at 3 neutral sites and one away. It's no secret that the only opportunities that the Bonnies got the past 5 years were at neutral sites (6) or away at Syracuse (2). I think it shows that the A-10 can compete against the snobs when given the chance. I wish the NCAA would do something to require it.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Regarding Bona's, 3rdShay went back 5 years while MLH only went back 4. The difference is a loss to Florida in 16-17. What is noteworthy, or maybe not so noteworthy, is that Bona is 4-4 over the 5 year period, with the 4 wins coming at 3 neutral sites and one road, and the 4 losses also coming at 3 neutral sites and one away. It's no secret that the only opportunities that the Bonnies got the past 5 years were at neutral sites (6) or away at Syracuse (2). I think it shows that the A-10 can compete against the snobs when given the chance. I wish the NCAA would do something to require it.
The majority of UD’s losses against ranked teams that I cited above, were on neutral courts. The P5 won’t even play Gonzaga in Spokane.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Agreed, 84. Neutral site is the best we can hope for in all honesty. While some records for our A10 brethren’s is decent, a combined 42-130 is pretty bad.

The losses are all over the board for A10 schools. Top dogs, bubbles and cellar squads. It would be nice to see the teams that are not expected to compete to refrain from playing three top 10 club teams out of conference.

·
Registered
65 Posts

The hype of what? That we can compete with the bubble teams from other conferences?

I never disagreed with that, but we are one example, and clearly not the case for most of our members.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts