Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if somebody would be so kind as to give an explanation as to what the 5/8 rule is. I'm still confused as to what it is. I know it applies to NU this year as NU Hoop Fan said NU can only offer 3 scholarships. If someone could provide an explanation that would be great. Maybe a synopsis of how it applies to your team to? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
A team can only give 5 new scholarships at most per year.

A team can only give a total of 8 new scholarships in a two year period. Thus, if a team brought in 5 new players last season they can only use 3 scholarships in the current year. Or 4 and 4.

I believe the rule may have been changed to 5/9 but I'm not sure.

UNH gave 4 scholarships last year (Walls, Liddell, Janev, Alray Taylor). Currently, since Alray Taylor transferred and with the graduating seniors, they have 5 open spots for next year's team. With the 5/8 rule, they can only fill 4 of those 5 spots. If it has changed to 5/9, they can fill all 5 spots.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Will has hit it pretty much on the head, but there are a zillion nuances.

For example, Jesse Dunn at NU got a scholarship last year, but didn't count towards the limit that year because he was a multiple year walk on.

Javorie Wilson was technically a walk on last year, so he doesn't count until this year.

Bobby Kelly is a walk on this year, so he doesn't count until NEXT year.

I don't know off of the top of my head who NU's "5" are for this year, but it's Davis, Wilson, Youmans, and 2 others.

NU will actually have 4 next year since Gene Olyinik left the program in good academic standing. One is already Bobby Kelly's, so there are 3 left.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts