Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Things are getting interesting at 6 in the east. Both the 6 and 7 seeds, Indiana and Cleveland are only a game back in the win column from the atlantic division champ. And if they were to get the 6 seed and have a better record they would get home court in the first round.

The question is, should the 5th seed be trying to drop down into the 6th seed?

Hypothetically with the way Chicago is playing, they are going to be the 4th seed.

So would you rather have home court in the first round, or travel to Chicago and play one of the hottest teams in the second half of the season? Particularly if you are a young team like Washington or Cleveland, or a depleted team like Indiana where the home court in the first round could very well bump you into the second round.

So which seed would you rather have: 5 or 6?
And remember, if you fool around too much, you could drop to 7 and have to open up against Detroit on the road.

·
Where he belongs...
3,814 Posts
you cant pick which seed you're gonna be...you just go out and play to win games...you cant start tanking games going into the playoofs just to get a different seeding...that makes no sense...i see where u r coming from but its not something that a pro team would do

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Im not sure the 6 seed would mean playing the celtics right? If they keep playing the way they are I would want 6th. But if they get their act together I'd rather go with the 5th and try and work whatever magic the team posses.

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
Teams aren't going to tank to drop a seed, they'll play to win and finish with as many wins as possible. Since it's actually better to be a 6th seed than 5th seed, Stern should really kill the division champs are the 1st three seeds thing. It's horrible.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
I'd want to win every game. Washington is tied with the Bulls. Their focus should be on winning that 4 spot.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Ugh this thread makes no sense to me. Washington is tied with Chicago for 4th right now and still gets to play Chicago at home in a few weeks, why after holding the 4 spot pretty much all year would they now just give up and try to tank and be a 6th seed?

If I'm Washington I'm just trying to keep up with the Bulls until they play on April 13th, that game could pretty much be the deciding factor. With Jamison coming back on Tuesday the race for homecourt could go down to the wire and hell both teams could concievably finish with the same record.

The truth is, Washington was screwed by being removed from the Atlantic Division and being put in a posistion where they either have to beat out Miami or be a 4th seed and play Miami in the 2nd round.

·
Maybe Next Year....
10,212 Posts
Sir Patchwork said:
Teams aren't going to tank to drop a seed, they'll play to win and finish with as many wins as possible. Since it's actually better to be a 6th seed than 5th seed, Stern should really kill the division champs are the 1st three seeds thing. It's horrible.
Agreed.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Sir Patchwork said:
Divisions are pointless and arbitrary as it is. Right now they only serve a few purposes:

• Let the NBA get major markets in the playoffs by sticking division winners in the top 3
  • Allows teams to advertise themselves as "1st/2nd/3rd/4th/etc in __ division" rather than "14th in the West".
  • Stupid reward of "division champion"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts