Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
And I remember Bona beating Syracuse. In fact, I was there and was Bill Russell drunk by the end. Maybe the most exciting game I ever attended.

·
Piker
10,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And I remember Bona beating Syracuse. In fact, I was there and was Bill Russell drunk by the end. Maybe the most exciting game I ever attended.
I caught the grandfather clause to drink at 18 but I was not old enough yet 😂

·
Piker
10,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
This game should be at the Reilly Center.
As I said yesterday, that would be fine with me.

PS-Bona got a boost in the NET due to them being neutral. VCU got the wins but no boost due to being at home.

In my opinion the NET and other calculators should not weigh where the game is played so heavily this year. I am not saying that because of this tournament or VCU's profile. Just a general opinion.

·
Piker
10,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was bored so I wanted to check VCU's A10 tournament record after I heard the postgame press conference moderator mention that VCU was 6-0 in A10 semifinal games.

VCU A10 Tournaments:

2012-13
...VCU's first season in the league. Played against SLU in Finals. Lost to the Jordair Jett crew. I remember Evans & a blue haired Aussie.

2013-14...VCU played St. Joe's Finals. Galloway busted 19 & a young Bembry showed flashes w/ 13 pts. Roberts had a good game too. Martelli played two on the bench. Neither scored.

2014-15...VCU's fan favorite Briante Weber went down in the reg. season with an ACL injury. VCU rebounded & beat Dayton for the Championship. Treveon Graham had 20 & 13. (Shaka $ to Tejas)

2015-16...Here come Martelli again. St Joe's wins in Finals. Bembry has a 30 piece with Miles busting 26. They slashed the press with rim runners. (Strong ass offer Will Wade's 1st season)

2016-17...The rise of Hurley season. Terrell & EC Matthews busted VCU up in Finals. Again, these two slashed the press w/Dowtin leading the charge. (season note: Archie Miller $ to Indiana)

2017-18...Coach Rhoades takes over. Entire incoming class jets. VCU loses to #25 Rhody in Quarterfinals. Three headed monster of Matthews, Terrell, Dowtin too much. (Hurley $ to UConn)

2018-19...Rhody again in a close Quarterfinal match-up. Marcus Evans goes down early with a great early start for VCU. Santos-Silva w/22 & 22 not enough. Dowtin w/22 pts.

2019-20...COVID 🤮 VCU/UMass on the floor ready for the tip. Game & tournament canceled. Year of isolation & heartache begins. COVID decides to remain until this day. (Silva to Tejas Tech)

2020-21...A10 Tournament is chalk....#1 St Bona v. #2 VCU...young VCU squad & future is bright.

~VCU has made the finals in 6 out of 8 times since joining the A10 (9 years in the league-one tournament cancellation). Not a good Final record though: 1-4

~In the 9 years since Joining the A10 VCU has made the NCAA 6 times in 9 years. Hopefully it will be 7 out of 9. Last year no NCAA tourney so it would be 7 out of 8 while in the A10.
Going back to CAA it would be beginning with Capel to Grant to Shaka to Wade to Rhoades...11 out of 16 NCAA bids (actually 11 out of 15 because no NCAA tourney 2019-20).

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Yeah, except we're 1-3.

1984 lost to West Virginia
2000 lost to Temple
2012 beat Xavier
2019 lost to SLU

1 - 20 of 157 Posts