Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I fully expect Rutgers ratings to fall, as well, jp. But winning against Wisconsin and Seton Hall, even if at home, isn't exactly manipulating the math as you describe it.
Rutgers is actually mediocre, as opposed to being dreadful as usual. It takes a while to overcome your reputation. They'll need to send a couple of the better B10 teams out of Piscataway with their heads hanging to start to change the narrative. My Dukes are in a similar situation.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Rutgers is actually mediocre, as opposed to being dreadful as usual. It takes a while to overcome your reputation. They'll need to send a couple of the better B10 teams out of Piscataway with their heads hanging to start to change the narrative. My Dukes are in a similar situation.
They lost to Fordham last season, so they hang onto the suckage label through the rest of this season at least.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
I fully expect Rutgers ratings to fall, as well, jp. But winning against Wisconsin and Seton Hall, even if at home, isn't exactly manipulating the math as you describe it.
Wisconsin's .500 and that was like a December conference game, which is weird; and Seton Hall was missing three guys.

I'm not saying they're like, a 300-353 terrible team; I'm just saying they're like the 120th best team in college basketball and they look a lot better.

Here's how you manipulate your math... You play a lot of teams that are like 150-175 in college basketball. Teams that AREN'T GOOD, but aren't like, dregs of D-I terrible that makes your SOS look soft.

ALL AT HOME, GUARANTEE GAMES:
UMass (6-7, 131 NET)
Bryant (8-5, 167 NET) - won by 2
Lafayette (7-4, 175 NET)
Drexel (7-7, 235 NET) - won by 5
--
Niagara (2-9, 302 NET)
NJIT (2-10, 312 NET)

Then they play three decent games against teams that aren't great:
HOME Stephen F. Austin (9-2 helps SOS, 58 NET)
NEUT St. Bona (7-5, 172 NET) - they lost
ROAD Pitt (10-3, 72 NET) - they lost

And then one marquee OOC game:
HOME Seton Hall (9-4, 28 NET) - ranked and good before Powell and others got hurt.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
I didn't realize that Joey Brackets had reduced us to Juan Bid. I think helping Richmond is not working out here.
Also, is VCU still looking at the AAC or vice versa? Had forgot all about that also.

·
Piker
8,713 Posts
I didn't realize that Joey Brackets had reduced us to Juan Bid. I think helping Richmond is not working out here.
Also, is VCU still looking at the AAC or vice versa? Had forgot all about that also.
Still looking? Do you know something I don't? VCU has never looked at moving to the AAC. If they were offered maybe they would listen but it would be 2 years before it would happen if at all. A conference move is full of obstacles such as assignment of rights.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Sorry, let me rephrase.
Wonder if the AAC is looking at VCU to replace Conn. That's what I was thinking.
Saw some discussion about it on another board.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
Not to go down this rabbit hole again, but the AAC is built on sand. UConn was the first to bolt at its first opportunity, but they probably won’t be the last. Houston, SMU, Memphis, Cincinnati, and UCF (by default, USF as well) have been actively trying to get invites from the Big 12. It may not be right away, but if extra content means more cash when the next TV negotiations happen, then the Big 12 will almost certainly expand.

In another decade or so, the AAC is probably going to look a lot like a slight upgrade from the current C-USA.

Edit to add: Also, now that the public school door has been opened, I fully expect the Big East to eventually add Wichita State as a travel partner for Creighton.

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
Wisconsin's .500 and that was like a December conference game, which is weird; and Seton Hall was missing three guys.

I'm not saying they're like, a 300-353 terrible team; I'm just saying they're like the 120th best team in college basketball and they look a lot better.

Here's how you manipulate your math... You play a lot of teams that are like 150-175 in college basketball. Teams that AREN'T GOOD, but aren't like, dregs of D-I terrible that makes your SOS look soft.

ALL AT HOME, GUARANTEE GAMES:
UMass (6-7, 131 NET)
Bryant (8-5, 167 NET) - won by 2
Lafayette (7-4, 175 NET)
Drexel (7-7, 235 NET) - won by 5
--
Niagara (2-9, 302 NET)
NJIT (2-10, 312 NET)

Then they play three decent games against teams that aren't great:
HOME Stephen F. Austin (9-2 helps SOS, 58 NET)
NEUT St. Bona (7-5, 172 NET) - they lost
ROAD Pitt (10-3, 72 NET) - they lost

And then one marquee OOC game:
HOME Seton Hall (9-4, 28 NET) - ranked and good before Powell and others got hurt.
It's not like I was saying they'll compete for the national championship or anything. But, they are better than they've been in some time. And, Wisconsin is 8-5, which by my manipulated math is not .500, with a Kenpom ranking of 29.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts