Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who would you pick in the history of the NBA for these all time awards, the players don't necc. have to be retired and do it for how theuy played in their time per. so try to discount growth and strength over the decades.

MVP-Michael Jordan: Best player Ever. Best winner ever and on quite possibly the best team ever.

Rookie(who had the best first year of everybody ever): Shaq, he was one of the most exciting and instantly dominating rookies ever.

Defensive: Dennis Rodman-I'm counting boards as a part of defense and he didn't necc. block shots or steal well but he could just man up any body at any size. If somebody wants to stop Shaq I say D-Rods the best chance plus he can get in your head.

Most Improved: that wouldn't work now will it

Sixth Man: Bill Walton- I honestly couldn't tell ya too much but I heard he was great and I don't follow bench players from the past so sorry

Coach:phil Jackson-maybe not the best teacher but he has three three peats w/ two teams and has won as much championships as anybody. He needs talent but once he has it he can make it work better than anybody. If you read his first book Sacred Hoops it makes a great account of how great a coach he really is. Shaq and KB will tell ya all day that w/o him they wouldn't have a ring.

All NBA All time teams
1st Team
F/C- Russel(he played some F right)
F- Bird
C- Shaq
G- Magic
G- Michael

Defensive Team
F- Rodman
F/C- Russel
C- Olajuwon
G- Dumars
G- Michael

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I dont agree with you putting Shaq on the first team and leaving Wilt or Kareem off. Both Kareem and Wilt were way better players than Shaq is.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I figured somebody would argue that but hes so far ahead of the league right now that I decided to throw him in. I just as badly wanted to put in Kareem and actually Hakeem Olajuwon. I think Wilt is ver similar to Shaq except he got beat on by Russel.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Russell was a center. I would give him the Defensive Player of All Time award. Not only did he have more rebounds (21,620) and RPG (22.5) than Rodman (11,954 and 13.1), he completely brought NBA defense to a whole new level.

Also, the Rookie award shouldn't go to O'Neal. Wilt Chamberlain has the rookie record for PPG (37.6) and RPG (27.0).

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
MVP-Wilt Chamberlain-no one dominated like him

Rookie-Wilt Chamberlain-more impressive numbers than Shaq

Defense- If you go by rebounds it could be Wilt- could also be MJ or Russel

Sixth Man-Someone from the Celtics early dynasty

Coach-Phil Jackson

1st Team All NBA:

C-Wilt
PF-Malone
SF-Baylor
SG-MJ
PG-Magic

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
U can't really compare the players today to the ones that played during the 60's and 70's, to an extent. The game has CHANGED a lot, we have seen much stronger, taller, and more athletic players from the past 20 years. It will only be right to make a team from the start of the 80's to present, AND, from the start of the nba till the 70's.

So this is my ALL NBA FIRST TEAM since the start of the 80's:

C - Hakeem
PF - Malone
SF - Bird
SG - Jordan
PG - Magic

2nd Team:

C - Shaq
PF - Duncan
SF - Pippen
SG - Drexler
PG - Isiah

3rd Team:

C - Kareem
PF - Barkley
SF - Dominique
SG - Kobe
PG - Stockton

ALL DEFENSIVE FIRST TEAM

C - Hakeem
PF - Rodman
SF - Pippen
SG - Jordan
PG - Payton

2nd Team:

C - Mutumbo
PF - Duncan
SF - Cooper
SG - Dumars
PG - Stockton

3rd Team

C - D-Rob/Kareem
PF - Malone
SF - Oakley
SG - D Johnson
PG - Kidd

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I din't know Chamberlin did that his rookie season.
Just curious, beyond Russel was the NBA real weak. Like was Wilt a freak for his time period or like physically just way ahead of everybody else.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I don't know this whole thing is tough but here goes:

MVP-Michael Jordan totally dominated in an era of great basketball.

Rookie-Gotta be Wilt with those numbers!!WOW

6th Man-Big Red Bill Walton he was good in Portland when he started and then just made the Celtics bench even better.

Defensive-Russell came into the league as a rookie and dominated on the boards and blocked numerous shots and then continued the trend throughout his career.

Coach-Anybody ever heard of that guy RED!!!! Most rings of any coach ever(9). Total in the Franchise 16 rings!!! Best coach ever!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by <b>w-h-i-t-e-b-o-y</b>!
I don't know this whole thing is tough but here goes:

MVP-Michael Jordan totally dominated in an era of great basketball.

Rookie-Gotta be Wilt with those numbers!!WOW

6th Man-Big Red Bill Walton he was good in Portland when he started and then just made the Celtics bench even better.

Defensive-Russell came into the league as a rookie and dominated on the boards and blocked numerous shots and then continued the trend throughout his career.

Coach-Anybody ever heard of that guy RED!!!! Most rings of any coach ever(9). Total in the Franchise 16 rings!!! Best coach ever!!
I agree with that..........You pretty much summed it all up. But if MJ is the 6th man next year...........that award is going to him

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Thanks!

Thanks for the compliment.......about him and the 6th man award I dont think that you can give him the all-time award for having one good year unless he avg's some outrageous numbers and they go deep into the playoffs, even then you'd be hard pressed to still give it to him. He's the greatest ever but that doesn't mean he has to be the best at everything!!!

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
My Alltime Mvp would probably be MAGIC , but looking at this analytically it's down to 2 guys SHAQ AND JORDAN and my vote goes to SHAQ. THE WHOLE LEAGUE IS GOING CRAZY TRYING TO MATCH UP WITH THE DIESEL, There has never been an NBA player who's caused more controversy with his play with coaches complaining , players complaining in the history of the Game. SHAQ IS UNGUARDABLE PHYSICALLY , JORDAN WAS MAGNIFICENT but there were guys who could at least guard him Shaq when healthy is a nightmare PHYSICALLY he just completly dominates and is a immediate double team, he just pounds you , WILT WAS DOMINANT ALSO BUT HE PLAYED MUCH MORE OF A FINESE GAME FINGER ROLLS FADE AWAY JUMPERS , but Shaq is taking you right threw the RIM, MIKE IS GREATNESS PERSONAFIED but the DIESEL is causing considerable heartache in the LEAGUE, PERSONALLY I THINK MAGIC IS THE GREATEST BUT THATS BECAUSE I APPRECIATE WHAT IT IS TO UNDERSTAND THE TOTAL ASPECT OF THE GAME FROM ALL CATERGORIES,

MVP -SHAQ

DEFENSIVE PLAYER -BILL RUSSELL dominated the league in this catergory.

OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF ALLTIME-JORDAN would be it just because of the sheer creative brillance this man has the most diverse repetoir of moves in NBA history, could score with ease using an endless bag of dunks, pull ups , double pumps, reverse lay ups, hangtime plays, power moves, drop steps, spin moves, cross over dribbles ,push offs, first step, three pointers, SHAQ IS MVP FOR SHEER DOMINANCE REASONS MIKE'S THE MOST TALENTED TO PLAY THE GAME,

COACH-PHIL JACKSON never lost in finals, Auerbach and Riley lost in finals.

6th Man -KEVIN MCHALE alltime great came off the bench mostly with great offensive moves made the up and under a move tought at bigman camps,

1st team
c-Shaq
pf-Bird
sf-DR.J
SG-Jordan
pg-Magic

2nd team
c-Kareem
Pf-Bill Russel
sf-Elgin Baylor
sg-Jerry West
pg -Oscar robertson

3rd team
c-Wilt
pf-Elvin Hayes
sf-Dominique Wilkins
sg-Kobe Bryant
pg-Isiah Thomas

6th Man- Kevin Mchale,

·
Registered
293 Posts
Originally posted by <b>shobe42</b>!
Who would you pick in the history of the NBA for these all time awards, the players don't necc. have to be retired and do it for how theuy played in their time per. so try to discount growth and strength over the decades.

MVP-Michael Jordan: Best player Ever. Best winner ever and on quite possibly the best team ever.

Rookie(who had the best first year of everybody ever): Shaq, he was one of the most exciting and instantly dominating rookies ever.

Defensive: Dennis Rodman-I'm counting boards as a part of defense and he didn't necc. block shots or steal well but he could just man up any body at any size. If somebody wants to stop Shaq I say D-Rods the best chance plus he can get in your head.

Most Improved: that wouldn't work now will it

Sixth Man: Bill Walton- I honestly couldn't tell ya too much but I heard he was great and I don't follow bench players from the past so sorry

Coach:phil Jackson-maybe not the best teacher but he has three three peats w/ two teams and has won as much championships as anybody. He needs talent but once he has it he can make it work better than anybody. If you read his first book Sacred Hoops it makes a great account of how great a coach he really is. Shaq and KB will tell ya all day that w/o him they wouldn't have a ring.

All NBA All time teams
1st Team
F/C- Russel(he played some F right)
F- Bird
C- Shaq
G- Magic
G- Michael

Defensive Team
F- Rodman
F/C- Russel
C- Olajuwon
G- Dumars
G- Michael

That is pretty good but Kareem or Wilt is probably the best center, with Shaq and Hakeem behind.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I should take that back I early said that I think Kareem and Hakeem were the two best but I thought that since their has never been anybody like Shaq that I'd put him in.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by <b>jazzy1</b>!
My Alltime Mvp would probably be MAGIC , but looking at this analytically it's down to 2 guys SHAQ AND JORDAN and my vote goes to SHAQ. THE WHOLE LEAGUE IS GOING CRAZY TRYING TO MATCH UP WITH THE DIESEL, There has never been an NBA player who's caused more controversy with his play with coaches complaining , players complaining in the history of the Game. SHAQ IS UNGUARDABLE PHYSICALLY , JORDAN WAS MAGNIFICENT but there were guys who could at least guard him Shaq when healthy is a nightmare PHYSICALLY he just completly dominates and is a immediate double team, he just pounds you , WILT WAS DOMINANT ALSO BUT HE PLAYED MUCH MORE OF A FINESE GAME FINGER ROLLS FADE AWAY JUMPERS , but Shaq is taking you right threw the RIM, MIKE IS GREATNESS PERSONAFIED but the DIESEL is causing considerable heartache in the LEAGUE, PERSONALLY I THINK MAGIC IS THE GREATEST BUT THATS BECAUSE I APPRECIATE WHAT IT IS TO UNDERSTAND THE TOTAL ASPECT OF THE GAME FROM ALL CATERGORIES,

MVP -SHAQ

DEFENSIVE PLAYER -BILL RUSSELL dominated the league in this catergory.

OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF ALLTIME-JORDAN would be it just because of the sheer creative brillance this man has the most diverse repetoir of moves in NBA history, could score with ease using an endless bag of dunks, pull ups , double pumps, reverse lay ups, hangtime plays, power moves, drop steps, spin moves, cross over dribbles ,push offs, first step, three pointers, SHAQ IS MVP FOR SHEER DOMINANCE REASONS MIKE'S THE MOST TALENTED TO PLAY THE GAME,

COACH-PHIL JACKSON never lost in finals, Auerbach and Riley lost in finals.

6th Man -KEVIN MCHALE alltime great came off the bench mostly with great offensive moves made the up and under a move tought at bigman camps,

1st team
c-Shaq
pf-Bird
sf-DR.J
SG-Jordan
pg-Magic

2nd team
c-Kareem
Pf-Bill Russel
sf-Elgin Baylor
sg-Jerry West
pg -Oscar robertson

3rd team
c-Wilt
pf-Elvin Hayes
sf-Dominique Wilkins
sg-Kobe Bryant
pg-Isiah Thomas

6th Man- Kevin Mchale,

I'd still take Mike as the MVP, but I definatley like Kobe on that 3rd team. Once hes retired and old and stuff there will be no question.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts