Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Re: You guys aren't thinking out of the box

Originally posted by pjc845
Everyone is so concerned about "moving" Chandler to the 3 if we take Ming.

What does that mean anyways? Who says you need to have a prototypical PG,SG,SF,PF,C team anyways?

What is intriguing about what Ming would would add to the Bulls is that we would have an unstoppable lineup. Why does Chandler have to shoot from outside? When Ming can fill it up from long range? In fact, by drawing the tallest defender to the perimeter (you can't sit in a zone and expect a 6'6" guard to defend a 7'6" shooter), it opens up plenty of space for Curry and Chandler to operate down low.

On defense, some complain that Chandler wouldn't be able to handle the speed of some quicker 3's. So what? He's got arms and can block. Have him get in the face of the opponent's 3. And if someone blows by him, they're going to run into some big trees. They'll have to contend with Curry and a 7'6" shot blocker. See Olympics where Ming stuffed Gary Payton and blocked Vince Carter twice. Others complain that Ming isn't big enough and won't take the pounding in the NBA. That didn't stop him from swatting Alonzo Mourning in the Olympics. Plus he's already 296lbs and put him on some real weight training and some US corn fed beef, and he'll weigh well over 300 lbs. What more do you want? With Curry and Ming down low, Shaq would have problems.

Also, who needs a great PG, if you implement a motion offense, which I think is going to be the wave of the future in the NBA. The Kings and the Nets do it as does Dallas to some extent. Effect -- 3 of the most potent offenses in the NBA. The Triangle is something of a motion offense, in that it requires folks to move without the ball, doesn't require any one man/PG to start the play, and players do things based on what the defense gives ya. So in essence, add the Lakers to the list of motion offenses.

The point is that with Ming, no one can stop us. No one could keep up with us offensively. And I don't think we would suffer defensively. We would force folks to beat us on the perimeter, where 6'8" Rose and 6'6" Crawford roam with a 7'1" Chandler. Good luck. And again, I like our chances at stopping Shaq if we've got Chandler, Curry, and Ming collapsing on the big guy.

I don't want JWill. He can't make big shots and doesn't show up for the big games. Everyone that is knocking Ming points to the competition (nevermind the CBA includes former NBA ballers like Benoit Benjamin and Lloyd Daniels). But, this kid led his team to a championship on 21 for 21 shooting, 28 rebounds and 14 blocks. Its not NBA competition, but its at least as good as your typical Division I team. Those numbers are amazing.

The best thing for Chicago to do regardless of scenario is to try to get Yao Ming. Nevermind the marketing and revenue to be generated by locking up the 1.3 billion consumers in China and truly making the Chicago Bulls, not just Chicago's team, but the world's team.
1.) To me Wally World is NOT an option over Jwill! Quite simply there is a reason that he is available. I do not know why Kruase is enamored with a guy that doesn't play a lick of defense, has a hard time creating his own shot and claps his hands (distinctly finding the I in team) to get the ball on every play. His teammates don't like him to the point of going public (read the SI article) with it. Jwill is EXACTLY what the Twolves need, Wally world isn't what we need. If we want a shooter, lets just take Dunleavy and skip the attitude!

Besides which, if teams are offering Odom and the 8 and Jamison and the 3, then he is worth FAR more than Wally would return! (read: Baron Davis)

2.) JWill not being a good pro. Jwill WANTS to be in Chicago. He is willing to be a leader, willing to take the pressure. And he has thrived in that role his entire life. Sure he missed a free throw... but that happens. Guys don't win Championships becuase they don't show up for big games. Jwill has a dominant Will. And that is difficult to find.

3.) Yao Ming. Ming is a wonderful prospect! For his rebounding abilities alone I would draft him! However, his presence would come at great costs... Namely making Chandler a small forward! Tyson (once he fills out) will be scary at the power forward postion. As a small forward he doesn't have the ball handling skills that the KG's and Dirks do. He can't gaurd opposing 3's and goodness knows his outside shot is suspect.

The path was set last year in drafting a frontcourt of Tyson and Eddy... the swing postion was addressed in aquiring Rose... now we need to address the back court. I think Crawford will make an excellent 2 (that can also handle the ball) and with Jwill will have a nice young talented team that can take us into the playoffs two years from now and be in serious competition for a ring in 5-6 years!

·
Registered
593 Posts
LoyalBull, I disagree with your assessment of Wally. I think there is more to the story than him being a problem child for that team. But that discussion isn't really worth getting into. I agree that his reputation hurts his value, which could end up in our favor. Perhaps you're right, #2 is giving up too much for him. Picking Dunleavy at the 2 spot would provide a shooter with perhaps a better all round game. Both players have questions regarding their defense.

pjc845, I'm right with you on picking up Ming if he's available. The whole league is just flat out scared of what the Bulls will be like with those three guys on the floor at the same time. I agree, that if Ming is on the floor with Chandler and Curry, then as strange as this sounds, on offense Ming can play on the outside with his excellent range. 7 Centers on the opposing team would be drawn out far from the basket leaving the middle open for Curry in the low post, and Chandler slashing and at the high post. The Triangle, could also be run through Ming (asuming he can pick it up), with Ming playing the central post figure, with everyone breaking around him. Deadly. On Defense Ming returns to center, Curry plays PF and Chandler SF. That kind of hight in the backcourt would make NBA history. And it would be something awesome to watch. Once those guys gel as a team - game over.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Okay guys and girls, here is what I know. One of my best friends is tied into the Minnesota sports scene. Before Wally's first year began, when the Timberwolves were scrimmaging, Wally's knee accidentally found Kevin Garnett's groin. KG went ballistic on Wally and it came to blows, and KG has never fully forgiven Wally. I have no trouble believing this story. When a guy shoots over 50%, plays 38 minutes a game and only takes 14 shots a game, and is labeled a ball hog, something really ain't right. KG never took his team out of the first round of the playoffs, shades of Grant Hill with the Pistons. Wally is not the problem, Wally is a West Coast all star, Wallys plays with passion, has a decent assist total on a team that doesn't like him, is a smart heads up player and the fire burns in his heart. He'd look real good in a Bulls uniform. (But not for the #2, that we keep) Another ccmbo, you figure it out.

·
Registered
514 Posts
How about next year first round pick, Eddie Robinson, and some other filler from bothe teams to equal it out. Of course they would make the pick number 1 protected.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Originally posted by Songcycle
Okay guys and girls, here is what I know. One of my best friends is tied into the Minnesota sports scene. Before Wally's first year began, when the Timberwolves were scrimmaging, Wally's knee accidentally found Kevin Garnett's groin. KG went ballistic on Wally and it came to blows, and KG has never fully forgiven Wally. I have no trouble believing this story. When a guy shoots over 50%, plays 38 minutes a game and only takes 14 shots a game, and is labeled a ball hog, something really ain't right. KG never took his team out of the first round of the playoffs, shades of Grant Hill with the Pistons. Wally is not the problem, Wally is a West Coast all star, Wallys plays with passion, has a decent assist total on a team that doesn't like him, is a smart heads up player and the fire burns in his heart. He'd look real good in a Bulls uniform. (But not for the #2, that we keep) Another ccmbo, you figure it out.
I would assume you would mean some combo involving Fizer (power forward is a need for the Wolves) and Crawford...

Line up is...

C. Curry
Pf. Chandler
Sf. Rose
Sg. Wally World
Pg. Jwill

That is pretty damn scary...

I really like Fizer off the bench and the offense he provides (however)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hey guys I got this interview from rlucas that post on realgm from the interview on bulls.com here it is guys enjoy it!

One-on-one with Jay Williams

Williams worked out for the Bulls at the Berto Center on Friday.
Bulls Draft Central 2002

June 14, 2002

Bulls.com caught up for a one-on-one session with Duke guard Jay Williams after he worked out for the Bulls on Friday.

Bulls.com:
How did your workout go?

Jay Williams:
It went really well. We did a lot of testing. I had a great time meeting all of the [strength and conditioning] guys and they seem like they really know what they’re doing. It’s really good because you need that and I feel like coming here, these guys have a really great supporting staff for working out over the summer and things are great here in terms of being able to condition and stay in shape. I did some on the court stuff with Pete [Myers, assistant coach for the Bulls] and that was great. It was kind of weird, he was trying to get at me a little but I hadn’t really stretched out that much and didn’t want to go back at him… just because he could be my coach!

Bulls.com:
How would you compare today with your other workout at Golden State? Do you have a workout scheduled with Houston or any other teams?

Williams:
Well, it was kind of the same, workout-wise, as far as what we did. Both places are great. I really don’t know what we are going to do about [the Houston workout] but it is still scheduled as of now.

Bulls.com:
What’s your plan then in between now and June 26?

Williams:
I’m going back to school just for one day to finish up some stuff with my one class. The last day of school is on draft day; that’s going to be the biggest day of my life.

Bulls.com:
You’ve been in Chicago for a week now—what have you been up to?

Williams:
I did the whole pre-draft stuff [at the beginning of the week] so I couldn’t really go out much. I was there for three days and that ended on Monday. I’ve just been walking around the city and hanging out. I’ve caught a couple of movies and just relaxed. I’ve liked it, it’s just been a lot of relaxing and working out and seeing what the city is all about. I’ve just been having a good time. Williams can envision a great relationship on the court with Jamal Crawford and the other young Bulls.

Bulls.com:
I heard you went to Milwaukee for a day?

Williams:
Yeah, I went to workout with Ray [Allen]. He’s a guy who is one of my best friends and is a great guy. He told me he’ll see me when I come to Milwaukee.

Bulls.com:
Now that you’ve gotten up close and personal with the Chicago Bulls, what is your impression of the organization?

Williams:
They’re really trying to make moves to get things back to where they were and I like that a lot. They don’t see losing as a habit and they aren’t going to accept anything less than winning. Sometimes you see guys in a losing organization lose focus on what it’s really about. Even though this team has lost a lot over the last few years, you can see a lot of focus here and right now there is even more buzz around because they’re making big steps to get things back.

Bulls.com:
Have you had a chance to sit down and meet with Jerry Krause?

Williams:
Yeah, [he and Coach Bill Cartwright] are both great. Jerry is a great guy. I know a lot of people say negative things about him but I really feel he’s a great guy. My parents taught me to let someone make their impression on me so I can form my own opinion about you. That’s the way I am and my opinion about him is that he’s a great guy who wants to win. He wants to win really badly and he’s going to do whatever it takes.

Bulls.com:
Your audience today included Tyson Chandler, Eddy Curry and Jamal Crawford. What do you know about their games and have you had a chance to meet them this week?

Williams:
I haven’t really been around them too much. But, this was really cool—I was in my hotel room last night, we had just got back from dinner and it was around 10:30. Tyson just stopped by my room. I was with Bill Duffy, my agent, and he just stopped by to say what’s up so I met him and we started talking. It was really cool. He’s a great kid and I could tell then he is really competitive. I like that; there are no other people I’d rather be sided with than people who really compete. I compete to the highest level, I work my butt off. I’ve lost in my life, but I don’t lose. That’s not what I do. Someone asked me yesterday if I was prepared to rebuild and lose a lot. They don’t understand—I don’t lose. I’ll go crazy before that happens. Of course you are going to lose some games, but I plan on winning way more games than I lose, even here. That’s what I expect and that’s what I’m going to go after.

Williams soars to the hoop at the Berto Center.
Tyson’s sick, let’s be real about that. It’s disgustingly crazy how much talent he has and how good he is going to be with his tremendous upside. Eddy [Curry] and J.C. [Jamal Crawford], too, all these guys. They’re all good, they’re all young and they’re all exciting. J.C.’s leg has gotten better and I’m really happy about that for him. It’s going to get him jump started again and move him nowhere but this way (pointing upwards).

Bulls.com:
Do you feel you’d fit in well on the court with another guard like Jamal Crawford?

Williams:
Yeah, we can play together. I don’t mind having him create for me and giving me open jump shots. I’ll take that all day long because I know he’ll be the same way. Everybody talks about these things, it’s the same way with my height. (Williams was officially measured at 6’1 ¾” with shoes over the weekend.) I’m like, Allen Iverson is around 5’11 and Isiah Thomas is 6-foot. I’m taller than all these guys and I’m stronger than all these guys. My height’s not a problem. Of course I’m going to go to the rim and get knocked down a couple times but so what? I’m going to get right back up and act like it never happened. Even if I do drive here, you’ve got guys like J.C. or Jalen Rose to kick out to or Tyson and Eddy down low so I can bounce pass to them for a dunk. They’d make my job so much easier.

Bulls.com:
You said that even though it would be great to be the number one pick, you’d be more comfortable coming to Chicago to play. Why is that?

Williams:
It’s a situation where I know I’d be happy. I don’t know how things are going to play out—if Houston is going to pick me or trade me—so I’m just going with the flow. You can’t set your eyes on one thing when it may not happen.

Bulls.com:
Have you thought about what you would want to accomplish for next season if you do come here?

Williams:
Win. I know what I’d want to accomplish, I’ll want to win it all. But that’s just my mind frame and its been that way since college. The way I learned to set goals is to set them high. But if I do come here, I’ll want to win the Eastern Conference or even win it all. Of course you have to have little goals to get to the bigger goals.

·
Registered
249 Posts
People say he plays like a power foward, but I don't see that...When I 1st seen him he looked more like a point guard out there on the basketball court...Making bounce passes, making breakaway steals in the open court, getting teammates involved..He looked more like a guard with limited explosion in his hops..lol, but nonetheless, he's the best small foward in this years draft

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
Wally

Wally's one of the best shooters in the game no doubt. But he was only an all-star cause Flip Saunders designed their offensive system to get open looks for Wally. He can't create his own shot, and that becomes a huge problem when defenses really clamp down in the game's final minutes. Plus, his D is horrible. If the Bulls were to trade the pick, i think the most logical move would be to trade in to the Clipps for Odom and#8. Odom is a hell of a talent, and they could get someone like Woods at #8. I know Krause isn't supposed to have worked him out, but then again, nobody knew that he had worked out Chandler last year. My first choice would still be Williams though.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think Caron will be a great player in this league, but I think he needs to work on his explosiveness this and next offseason..Caron may be the 3rd best player in the draft

·
Registered
929 Posts
If we draft JWill....

... and ERob is healthy. Does Carwwright play ERob 3, Rose 2,and JWill 1? Or use a JCraw/JWill combo, Rose at the 3 and ERob for 2nd unit? Lastly, How many of you think that JWill starts right out of the gate?

Thanks and I look forward to your thoughts.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
Re: If we draft JWill....

Originally posted by Maestro
... and ERob is healthy. Does Carwwright play ERob 3, Rose 2,and JWill 1? Or use a JCraw/JWill combo, Rose at the 3 and ERob for 2nd unit? Lastly, How many of you think that JWill starts right out of the gate?

Thanks and I look forward to your thoughts.
Im merging this with one of the other Jay williams threads. OK. It wont be deleted. Just added to one of the threads.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts