1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Very good coin, but I think the reach of ESPN does way more good than the dollars of NBC.

NBC Sports has enough reach that it's not much of a difference on paper, but high school kids are watching SportsCenter. What's the NBC Sports equivilent of SportsCenter? Anyone know?

We should run to ESPN now and say "We'll take their spot for a fraction of the cost!"

For the A-10, I'd rather be on ESPN for $7 million than NBC Sports for $9 million. Because ESPN treats their non-properties like CRAP.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
That is why I no longer support the mothership, JP. No more TV hits, no more web hits, no app hits, and so on. I would like to think that at least some highlight packages will come during the basketball season. As the network formerly knows as Versus, NBC Sports will gradually start to get a push with more and more college and NHL coverage. I believe they're the network in charge of the Battle 4 Atlantis Tournament - I'll leave that to VCU fans to confirm.

MLB Network has been a great network this year for their "fair and balanced" highlight packages. They don't have their heads up the East Coast's collective rear end like other media outlets do. It's also a bonus in a year where the Reds have a serious shot at the postseason and maybe win a round or two.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
Very good coin, but I think the reach of ESPN does way more good than the dollars of NBC.

NBC Sports has enough reach that it's not much of a difference on paper, but high school kids are watching SportsCenter. What's the NBC Sports equivilent of SportsCenter? Anyone know?

We should run to ESPN now and say "We'll take their spot for a fraction of the cost!"

For the A-10, I'd rather be on ESPN for $7 million than NBC Sports for $9 million. Because ESPN treats their non-properties like CRAP.
Unless I misread the story, the Big East basketball teams would get "only" $4 million annually from the NBC deal. Why would anyone expect ESPN or any network to give the A-10 (which doesn't sponsor football at any level) as much as $3-4 million per team when we don't have programs with the appeal of Louisville, Marquette, Georgetown, Villanova, and UConn to offer, especially now that Temple has joined the Big East fold beginning in 2013?

I love Xavier's membership in the A-10, but I won't delude myself into believing it will come close to matching the media appeal of the Big East any time soon, especially if it doesn't become further eroded by the loss of UConn, Rutgers, and/or Louisville.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Unless I misread the story, the Big East basketball teams would get "only" $4 million annually from the NBC deal. Why would anyone expect ESPN or any network to give the A-10 (which doesn't sponsor football at any level) as much as $3-4 million per team when we don't have programs with the appeal of Louisville, Marquette, Georgetown, Villanova, and UConn to offer, especially now that Temple has joined the Big East fold beginning in 2013?

I love Xavier's membership in the A-10, but I won't delude myself into believing it will come close to matching the media appeal of the Big East any time soon, especially if it doesn't become further eroded by the loss of UConn, Rutgers, and/or Louisville.
nick, I don't think it is so much about trying to match what the BE hoops schools get so much as it needs to be about materially improving our existing television package. We'll see how it plays out.

I don't understand one thing about putting that article out in the press now: alignment isn't over with yet, because the Big XII still needs two more teams to get that conference to a playoff format, which is what the Big XII's agreement with the SEC dictates. Whether it involves UL directly or the ACC raiding the BE after the Big XII raids the ACC, the BE isn't finished being picked apart just yet. If that Rutgers NY market slides to the ACC, as an example, I don't see how $14 million survives that, regardless of how badly content is desired, because the content still must generate sufficient ad revenue to make it all work.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Meanwhile, according to Comcast, my sports package effective 08-31-12, will now include the PAC12 network. Ah, the power of football, right here in the middle of a10 country, suburban Philadelphia. Forgot, the former home of the a10 conference.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Meanwhile, according to Comcast, my sports package effective 08-31-12, will now include the PAC12 network. Ah, the power of football, right here in the middle of a10 country, suburban Philadelphia. Forgot, the former home of the a10 conference.
Admit it. You're nuts for Oregon State Field Hockey.

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
A10Nick - I agree with your point vis a vis BE basketball vs. A10 basketball I just don't get how the football conference, as currently configured, could possibly warrant $10MM per team per year.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts

Yeah, I totally misread that as a school like Nova getting $10 million and a school like Temple getting $14. And not Boise $10, Temple $14, Nova $4.

But numbers aside, I really think taking less money from ESPN would be smarter than more money from NBC Sports (or CBS Sports). For them AND us.

We could have the exact same seasons in 2013-14 on CBS Sports and 2014-15 on ESPN;
And ESPN is going to casually mention the A-10 once a month with a back-handed compliment like "this looks like a multi-bid conference this season" in 2013-14
Same season in 2014-15, ESPN will be promoting our games during ACC/Big 12 games, dropping LaSalle-Duquesne highlights into SportsCenter, and saying we could get a record number six bids in 2014-15.

What ESPN promotes, people believe, whether it's true or not. When they promoted hockey, hockey had it's all-time high in ratings. They ditch hockey, and barely mention it again. ESPN's coverage of NASCAR was a running Dick Trickle joke until they got the rights. Then they created a daily show for it.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Yeah, I totally misread that as a school like Nova getting $10 million and a school like Temple getting $14. And not Boise $10, Temple $14, Nova $4.

But numbers aside, I really think taking less money from ESPN would be smarter than more money from NBC Sports (or CBS Sports). For them AND us.

We could have the exact same seasons in 2013-14 on CBS Sports and 2014-15 on ESPN;
And ESPN is going to casually mention the A-10 once a month with a back-handed compliment like "this looks like a multi-bid conference this season" in 2013-14
Same season in 2014-15, ESPN will be promoting our games during ACC/Big 12 games, dropping LaSalle-Duquesne highlights into SportsCenter, and saying we could get a record number six bids in 2014-15.

What ESPN promotes, people believe, whether it's true or not. When they promoted hockey, hockey had it's all-time high in ratings. They ditch hockey, and barely mention it again. ESPN's coverage of NASCAR was a running Dick Trickle joke until they got the rights. Then they created a daily show for it.
I agree with you: it has to be about a balance between dollars and exposure for the brand.

So, I guess that means that a best case for the A10 would be for NBC to win over the BE, which would at least open up the A10 more than it otherwise would, should the BE stay with ESPN, for ESPN to pick-up the A10 for basketball.

We still wouldn't get dollars similar to the BE, but whatever we get should be better than what we've had up to this point.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
I agree with you: it has to be about a balance between dollars and exposure for the brand.

So, I guess that means that a best case for the A10 would be for NBC to win over the BE, which would at least open up the A10 more than it otherwise would, should the BE stay with ESPN, for ESPN to pick-up the A10 for basketball.

We still wouldn't get dollars similar to the BE, but whatever we get should be better than what we've had up to this point.
Exactly.

If the Big East was getting $2 million a year per school for just basketball from ESPN and are trying to negotiate for $4 million plus, it would be stupid of us not to jump in and say we'll take that $2 million if they let the Big East walk.

Look, we got all their markets covered, we've got quality basketball. They may have a higher pedigree (thanks to ESPN), but they're not what they were. They're old Conference USA, who was a peer with the A-10 before and now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts