Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
7,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:banana:

I was thinking about what teams are best in the league right now, and how they are built, and noticed a few familiarities between the teams that have been in the last few finals.(Detroit/San Antonio).

1. Both teams run a defensive center who is good at blocking shots and rebounding.
2. Both team have a good 6'11"-7'ish PF who can defend and hit from about anywhere on the court.
3. Both teams have a defensive minded SF who is an excellent perimiter scorer. Prince has a little bit more game then Bowen offensively, but in many ways they are alike.
4. A dependable SG who can get their own shot. Defensively knows how to play smart and funnel to help.
5. A solid PG who can defend and play smart ball, easily capable of manufacturing a shot if needed. Both PG have excellent speed.

Off the bench both teams use veterans who won't let the game get out of control.

Dallas is getting close to being built the same way, but I doubt Dirk will ever be the defender that Duncan/RWallace is. (Pretty safe assumption unless Dirk start snortin coke or somethin :clown: ) Plus they are younger with several 2nd and 3rd year players.

The only other good teams are a rung down on the ladder so to speak, and are built upon the typical 2 star build. (The concept that pretty much dominated basketball for years). Miami and New Jersey are good teams, but at this point they cannot compete defensively with a Detroit or San Antonio, and with guys like Antoine Walker on their team, it isn't going to happen. At some point in the post season, Antoine Walker will jack up shots from the outside that should be going to Shaq, and they will lose a series.

So that being said, how far off is Portland from building a team in this mold? Probably 2 front line players on the starting 5 (SF, PF) (Possibly more if Joel leaves), and 1 SG. I feel pretty good about Portland future PG position, I am pretty sure at least one of those guys will be a dependable player.

I assume at this point that Zbo and Darius will not be good bench players, because as it is now, they don't even play at all unless they are involved at the offensive end of the court. So unless they are getting the chance to throw up bricks from the outside they are not happy. That being said Portland needs to move them for players who will play tough on the inside and will bring a defensive presence to the floor.

Now that being said, I am sure some people would rather we build in the mode of a Phoenix with an up tempo game. With the defensive rule changes made over the last year, it is a viable option, but I think we have already seen that when it comes to the playoffs, they are still physical, slower game, which will be a detriment to a team that is uptempo to the extreme. I think you are better off having a team that takes opportunities to run when they present themselves, but do not always force the issue. :banana:

· Registered
2,938 Posts
Nice summary of thoughts, Hasoos.

I think we're currently building toward a SA/DET/DAL mold also. We've got PG and SG and possibly SF (Outlaw) and C (Joel if re-signed). We need a PF who plays like Duncan or Garnett or Dirk. Looks like those kind of players might be available in '07 draft.

· Registered
11,166 Posts
We have PG, SG or SF depending on what you see Webster being locked up. That's it. Both teams have all world type players at PF named Duncan and Wallace. Yes I hate Rasheed, but his talent is all world even if his attitude is all 3rd world. Portland is 3 players away from being in this possition. If Joel re-signs then we are two, maybe still three away.

I know I harp on this a lot, but the other thing both teams have in common is a coach that has a much better winning percentage than Nate does. Saunders almost 100 points higher, and Pops almost 200 points higher.

Portland would be wise to try and pry someone like KG away from the T Wolves. Him Joel, Kryapa, Webster and Telfair probably make the playoffs next year. In two years even better.

· Steal of the Draft
8,008 Posts
mediocre man said:
We have PG, SG or SF depending on what you see Webster being locked up. That's it. Both teams have all world type players at PF named Duncan and Wallace. Yes I hate Rasheed, but his talent is all world even if his attitude is all 3rd world. Portland is 3 players away from being in this possition. If Joel re-signs then we are two, maybe still three away.

I know I harp on this a lot, but the other thing both teams have in common is a coach that has a much better winning percentage than Nate does. Saunders almost 100 points higher, and Pops almost 200 points higher.

Portland would be wise to try and pry someone like KG away from the T Wolves. Him Joel, Kryapa, Webster and Telfair probably make the playoffs next year. In two years even better.
If we go PF/C this draft I really want us to go after Durant or Thaddeus Young next year, because I doubt we have teh #1 pick next year. Those two will both be dominant SF's in the L.

· Registered
11,166 Posts
Blazer Freak said:
If we go PF/C this draft I really want us to go after Durant or Thaddeus Young next year, because I doubt we have teh #1 pick next year. Those two will both be dominant SF's in the L.

I agree with you on Durant. At least of what is written about him. I don't know a thing about Young.

· Registered
3,957 Posts
hasoos said:
:banana:

I was thinking about what teams are best in the league right now, and how they are built, and noticed a few familiarities between the teams that have been in the last few finals.(Detroit/San Antonio).

1. Both teams run a defensive center who is good at blocking shots and rebounding.
2. Both team have a good 6'11"-7'ish PF who can defend and hit from about anywhere on the court.
3. Both teams have a defensive minded SF who is an excellent perimiter scorer. Prince has a little bit more game then Bowen offensively, but in many ways they are alike.
4. A dependable SG who can get their own shot. Defensively knows how to play smart and funnel to help.
5. A solid PG who can defend and play smart ball, easily capable of manufacturing a shot if needed. Both PG have excellent speed.

Off the bench both teams use veterans who won't let the game get out of control.

Dallas is getting close to being built the same way, but I doubt Dirk will ever be the defender that Duncan/RWallace is. (Pretty safe assumption unless Dirk start snortin coke or somethin :clown: ) Plus they are younger with several 2nd and 3rd year players.

The only other good teams are a rung down on the ladder so to speak, and are built upon the typical 2 star build. (The concept that pretty much dominated basketball for years). Miami and New Jersey are good teams, but at this point they cannot compete defensively with a Detroit or San Antonio, and with guys like Antoine Walker on their team, it isn't going to happen. At some point in the post season, Antoine Walker will jack up shots from the outside that should be going to Shaq, and they will lose a series.

So that being said, how far off is Portland from building a team in this mold? Probably 2 front line players on the starting 5 (SF, PF) (Possibly more if Joel leaves), and 1 SG. I feel pretty good about Portland future PG position, I am pretty sure at least one of those guys will be a dependable player.

I assume at this point that Zbo and Darius will not be good bench players, because as it is now, they don't even play at all unless they are involved at the offensive end of the court. So unless they are getting the chance to throw up bricks from the outside they are not happy. That being said Portland needs to move them for players who will play tough on the inside and will bring a defensive presence to the floor.

Now that being said, I am sure some people would rather we build in the mode of a Phoenix with an up tempo game. With the defensive rule changes made over the last year, it is a viable option, but I think we have already seen that when it comes to the playoffs, they are still physical, slower game, which will be a detriment to a team that is uptempo to the extreme. I think you are better off having a team that takes opportunities to run when they present themselves, but do not always force the issue. :banana:
I was thinking about this the other day while watching the last few games.I saw several plays where someone on the other team shoots and then zach doesnt box out or put a body on the teams pf or c and they come right in for a tip zach didnt give any effort at all.Zach may be good but he needs to get strong and get rebounds because rebounds kill us if we out rebound the other team we usually win.We get out rebounded becuase out forwards are to lazy.Miles may or may not be lazy im hoping it is his knee and he will return to form next season.Imagine if we had a big tough forward like kg rebounding monster and scorer immediatley our team would improve to 30 wins and playoffs.We have most of the peices but we dont have a p forward that will get dirty and that is strong and gives effort everytime he plays.

· Registered
5,731 Posts
So, in a nutshell:

We are merely 4-5 star players and 2-3 wiley veteran backups away from becoming a boringly slow to watch, but effective dominating basketball team with a chance to see the finals.

Assuming that they all can play nicely together as a unit.

Assuming that they all can play nicely off the court as well.

Assuming that the local media gives them a little breathing room to be human off the court.

Assuming that they all can understand WTH Nate wants done.

Assuming no injuries, arrests, suspensions, contract disputes...

Assuming the team is still in Portland next season.

No WONDER I'm so excited.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.